Firefly: The Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: Using any crew as a Captain? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why not, right? Just make the crew have a 0 worth and act like a Captain. Does anyone think this would be overpowering? I thought about it because one of my buddies wanted to play and he said "I've got Sheppard Book!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
obv, it's your game now...so you can play it anyway you choose...but I think i'll keep requiring one of the provided "captains" be captain...(either way, enjoy and have fun!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I don't thin it would be overpowered. Just the opposite. The captains are the most powerful crew in the game, with special abilities geared toward doing jobs and building a crew. A player without one of them would be at a handicap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Would Captain Book be able to take an immoral job? If not, he'd have a tough time winning the game as it is presently structured.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yosef Bender

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my rule variant of the game, I've made extra captains but I have a second in command rule that if the Capt. gets killed the second in command takes over as the captain so any crew could end up being a captain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Let's get a look at your new captains, man!

I've got a First Mates (and Mutiny) variant you can find here (scroll down), but it involves putting the unused Leaders into plan rather than a crewman stepping up:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1075300/gweks-house-rules

In response to the original post, I think it would be perfectly permissible to have anyone as Leader, as long as you realize that a) if it's only one player, they're going to be at a disadvantage, or 2) if it's everyone, the game will probably take longer (my guess would be 4-6 rounds).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Brueggemann
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess as long as your captain isn't Yolanda/Brigit/Saffron, you'll be okay. laugh

But why is all the rum gone?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J B
msg tools
chas59 wrote:
Would Captain Book be able to take an immoral job? If not, he'd have a tough time winning the game as it is presently structured.

I doubt that. Illegal but moral jobs pay just fine.

Some of the best crew would not be underpowered as a captain at all. Kaylee comes to mind as quite strong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
but I does make sense that your captain should also be a pilot...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J B
msg tools
John_VW wrote:

To an extent. But not necessary -- think about military. The guy(s) actually driving a sub or other ship are usually not the one actually in charge. Or the guy telling the planes where to go does not have to know how to fly them. Or management at a company.... point is, the guy in charge may, or may not know the details of every job of every person below, but it is not required. Knowing the end results and trusting the experts to handle the details works just fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jonnin wrote:
John_VW wrote:

To an extent. But not necessary -- think about military. The guy(s) actually driving a sub or other ship are usually not the one actually in charge. Or the guy telling the planes where to go does not have to know how to fly them. Or management at a company.... point is, the guy in charge may, or may not know the details of every job of every person below, but it is not required. Knowing the end results and trusting the experts to handle the details works just fine.

ok, but to me...keeping "in theme"...the captain should be a pilot...doesn't have to be just a pilot, but should have that skill...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Kiefer
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
It's all about the theme!
mbmbmbmbmb
My first job is often a Harken job. I have no crew and just use the captain. Therefore the captain is pilot enough to complete the job. Just like most of us can drive a car but we're not really ready to race competitively or even backup a 16 wheeler.

As I posted in another thread, I really don't think Mal is a fully checked out pilot. He was a foot soldier after all to begin with. And one of his first requirements was to get a pilot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I was thinking of this kind of variant today, but instead of creating a new thread, I figured I'd look to see if someone had already suggested it, and this is what I found.

My thought was that if a non-Leader character was made captain, they would gain some things:
First would be gaining the same rules status as actual Leaders (returning to the ship with a Disgruntled token instead of being killed; double Disgruntling means firing the whole crew), along with losing their "wanted" status and removing their Bounty card (if applicable).

Second would be gaining one Stat point (unless they already had three), similar to how Leader Zoe has 3 Fight compared to Crew Zoe having 2. My thought being that the player could choose to gain any Stat that the character already had (again, unless they already had 3 stat points, in which case they don't gain any). I think it would make sense to allow that skill point to be of a type that that character's ability might provide (i.e. Captain Skunk could possibly have 2 Fight, or 1 Fight and 1 Negotiate; Sheriff Bourne could have 3 Negotiote or 1 Fight and 2 Negotiate).

Third, some characters abilities would have to be tweaked a bit. Those abilities that require discarding the character (i.e. The Salesman) would instead take on a Disgruntled. I would probably say that the Lawman's restriction is a bit too much for a Leader, so perhaps they would be able to take on Illegal jobs, but would acquire a Disgruntled token. Or maybe keep the restriction as is, and they would just have to send their other crewmembers on any such job that needed doing. If a Merc was elevated to captain, he or she would probably lose Merc status. If Yo/Saff/Bridg became a captain, her other cards would have to be removed from their supply decks.

Obviously even with these modifications, some characters are more suited to lead than others. But this variation could spice up the game for those that want to try something different. And specifics could be agreed upon by players prior to starting the game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Keller
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
Phew, the Salesman as a captain would almost completely negate Corbin as a useful captain. That'd be so sad. He loves looking down at whatever he's looking at.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
WordBurn wrote:
Phew, the Salesman as a captain would almost completely negate Corbin as a useful captain. That'd be so sad. He loves looking down at whatever he's looking at.

Corbin has 2 Tech and a Negotiate, is a Mechanic, and can buy half-price Drive Cores and Ship Upgrades without getting disgruntled (when he is at their respective supply planet)

Captain Salesman would have 2 Negotiate, is a Grifter, and can buy half-price Drive Cores and Ship Upgrades, but only from discard piles, and it would disgruntle him. But being able to buy remotely is nice.

Granted, it doesn't thematically make sense why performing a wholesale buy action would disgruntle Captain Salesman, but it was the only substitute I could think of for discarding.

Like any variant, this would impact the play value of certain cards, but I don't think it unbalances anything as a whole.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Speaking of buying remotely, what if there was some way to acquire the ability to buy a gear card from any discard pile remotely, perhaps with added cost (i.e. shipping and handling charges).

Seems almost like it would fit as an added Solid bonus for Amnon Duul, the space Postmaster General. "When Solid with Amnon Duul, you may use a Buy action to purchase one Gear item from any Supply planet discard pile by paying the list price + $100".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.