Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
82 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Trades

Subject: Fire & Ice Con 2014 - A no-ship math trade - Discussion Thread - Official results posted! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jack K
United States
Shorewood
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Treasure those you love...
mbmbmbmbmb
The 2014 Fire & Ice convention (in Manitowoc, WI) is fast approaching, and our tradition - six years and counting now - is to have a no-ship math trade. Past years' trades have been hugely successful, typically attracting 500-700 items and having a high trade percentage.

This is a no-ship math trade. That means you don't have to pay shipping costs. It's a great way for you to trade with other local gamers, getting rid of those unwanted or underplayed games for other things you might want to try at no cost.

Even if you can't make it to the con, there are plenty of us who attend and we will be more than happy to be your proxy at the exchange - although it's always great to see you there.

If you don't know how a math trade works, please feel free to contact me and I can talk you through the basics, or feel free to ask questions in the discussion thread. There is also a cool video guide by our very own boathouselooper here...

So here we go...

Request GeekList: http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/169329

Trade GeekList: http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/169328

Online Want List Generator use is required for creating your want lists. (please remember to tip JeffyJeff some GG for his support)

Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb

Details:

Open for posting games: Sunday, February 2nd, 9pm to Tuesday, February 11th, 9pm.

Want list submission period: Tuesday, February 11th, 9pm to Saturday, February 15th at 9pm.

Want lists and results will be publicly posted shortly thereafter.

Please note that errors made by you will not invalidate the results. You will be expected to honour your trades even if you made a mistake, so carefully review your lists before submitting them. You can make changes BEFORE the end of the submission period but not after it.

This event is open to anyone who wants to participate, but please note that this is a no-ship event. We will be meeting up on Saturday, February 22nd at noon to exchange games traded and you'll either need to be in attendance or have someone proxy (drop off and pick up) for you at the meet-up. Please make sure that you're there or someone is there for you.

Please do not delete items or sweeteners once you have listed them. You can always submit a blank want list for an entry if you've traded it away before the deadline.

OK - some simple rules - please take a few minutes to read them:

d10-1 This is a no-shipping event. All exchanges are to be made at the Fire & Ice Con at noon. Please try to not be late, and try not to sign up to play or run any games at that time, as many of us will be judging or playing games shortly thereafter. If you cannot attend in person, you can still participate but you must find someone who is willing to act as you proxy at the convention, taking your games there for you and picking up your "winnings".

d10-2 Gift certificates, Geekgold (GG), DVDs and other weird items are all permitted.

d10-3 Gift certificate and GG arbitrage are NOT allowed. (i.e. You cannot put someone else's gift certificate entry on the want lists for a gift certificate you are offering in an attempt to "trade up", the same is true for GG). Yon CAN swap GG for GCs and vice versa, and you can trade down in value with GCs.

d10-4 Non-game entries must be added as "Outside the Scope of BGG" (game id 23953), Miscellaneous Game Merchandise (game id 22104) or "Miscellaneous Game Accessory" (game id 5985), and use the "altname" tags - if you don't know what those are, please ask.

If you are offering an expansion for which there is no entry in BGG (for instance expansion cards handed out at Essen) and NOT the base game, please use "Miscellaneous Game Accessory" to help avoid confusion.

d10-5 You are expected to describe, as accurately as is reasonably possible, the condition (components and box), language and edition of your item in the description. This includes sweeteners if they are physical items (i.e. not GG).

For games not brand new (in shrink) you must inventory the game's components and list anything missing. Do not assume it's complete. Also, remember that just because something is "new in shrink" that doesn't mean that you shouldn't disclose any dings. It might not matter to you, but it matters to some people.

d10-6 Do not edit your entries in any way which reduces their value. If, for instance, you discover a problem with a game you've already offered, you can always add it again - as a new entry - with an updated description. If you need to do this, please contact me for directions.

d10-7 Finally - you are expected to periodically check during the item submission period, and preferably during the want list submission period, to see if anyone has commented on your entries. People often ask questions of items - most commonly because you have forgotten to state a version or language - and you should check in to address such questions in a timely manner should they arise, so that everyone then has the correct information available.

This is a very easy thing to do. Just click on "Subscribe" under each of your entries. If someone adds a comment, you will receive a notification and a link directly to that comment.

Technical information

Software Used: TradeMaximizer 1.4a with duplicate protection. SEED=1234567, ITERATIONS=100, METRIC=USERS-TRADING

Please not that for this event, the order of the items on your want lists makes NO difference.

Want list submission

You can start creating your want lists any time after the start of the event.

Please note that it's best to work on your want lists and submit them early - you can always make changes and resubmit later. This will prevent you from being left out if you forget the deadline.

Submissions may be made at any time after 9pm on the 11th.

Remember that you may have saved your want lists, but they have NOT been submitted until you press the green button in step 4, and the silver button on the following page and received a confirming Geekmail.

You are not obliged to trade anything you put up for offer. If you offer a game, but see nothing that you are willing to accept for it in trade, you can submit a blank want list for it, or not submit one at all. If, however, you do submit a want list for a game, then it is expected that you will honour any trade that the TradeMaximizer comes up with. You will not receive anything you did not list as acceptable for the game(s) you have offered, so it is important to check your want lists - before you submit and at least once before the deadline - to correct any errors.

Please note: Sometimes real life intrudes on us unexpectedly. If I'm a little late posting something, please bear with me.

So enter lots of items and have fun!

%Options%
Deadline-Offers: Tuesday, February 11th, 2014, 9:00 PM CST
Deadline-Wants: Saturday, February 15th, 2014, 9:00 PM CST
%End%
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack K
United States
Shorewood
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Fire & Ice Con 2014 - A no-ship math trade - Discussion Thread
Reserved for announcements
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert
United States
Wauwatosa
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mb
FYI the trade geeklist link is incorrect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cindy Nowak
United States
Kenosha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Please doublecheck your link to the trade list - it goes to a Tide of Iron thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack K
United States
Shorewood
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you both.

I've corrected it now. Call it Seattle Celebration Distraction...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sparr Risher
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone volunteering to act as a proxy? I'm interested in participating, but won't be at the event. I assume this means I'd ship my games to you ahead of time, and pay for you to ship games to me afterward?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack K
United States
Shorewood
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sparr0 wrote:
Anyone volunteering to act as a proxy? I'm interested in participating, but won't be at the event. I assume this means I'd ship my games to you ahead of time, and pay for you to ship games to me afterward?
If you're willing to reimburse someone a little for a box and packing material, if they need to purchase them, then I'm sure that someone could proxy for you.

The real trick is that you'd have to make absolutely certain your games arrive at your proxy before the con starts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack K
United States
Shorewood
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
anglotiger wrote:
sparr0 wrote:
If you're willing to reimburse someone a little for a box and packing material, if they need to purchase them, then I'm sure that someone could proxy for you.

The real trick is that you'd have to make absolutely certain your games arrive at your proxy before the con starts.
After some discussions here, there's a certain lack of comfort with your ability to get the games here in time to get them to all of the recipients (we have people coming to the con from all across the State and from other nearby states, who might be taking part).

That said, we don't want to exclude you, if you really want to take part.

So here's what we've settled on. You can participate if you ship your outbound games directly to the winners. A proxy would be able to collect anything you win at the con, then send them to you in a single shipment (with reimbursement of course). I know that's going to cost you more, but it's the best we can do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Again this year, I'd like to encourage people to be creative and take a chance on things. Don't be afraid to list big things; you don't have to trade it if you don't want to. And things outside the context of normal games are a great choice too; personally, I'm not a fan of people listing gift cards, but don't neglect trading non-game things for games, game accessories, services, and more.

Trading is about negotiation and discussion. Math trades break that down - very clinical, very isolated. Fixed lot for fixed lot. So it really helps to look at the request list literally and for inspiration. Ask questions. Take chances.

Don't trade things you won't be happy to part with! But keep an open mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Meadow
United States
Waukesha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Thanks for reading me, I'm so lonely.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to request a proxy, I will drop off my items and pick up any items from any locations in Milwaukee or Waukesha (or in between)... and I won't be creepy doing it. Anyone able to help me before I put my stuff in the list?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sparr Risher
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
anglotiger wrote:
So here's what we've settled on. You can participate if you ship your outbound games directly to the winners. A proxy would be able to collect anything you win at the con, then send them to you in a single shipment (with reimbursement of course). I know that's going to cost you more, but it's the best we can do.
That sounds fine. Any contingency for a trader who does not want to disclose their shipping address to me? In that case, having a proxy for the first half would still be useful.

That said, is anyone willing to be my proxy for the second half of the process?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
VETRHUS of Rogaland
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
An ash I know, Yggdrasil its name. With water white is the great tree wet; thence come the dews that fall in the dales. Green by Urth's well does it ever grow.
mbmbmbmbmb
cosine wrote:
Again this year, I'd like to encourage people to be creative and take a chance on things. Don't be afraid to list big things; you don't have to trade it if you don't want to. And things outside the context of normal games are a great choice too; personally, I'm not a fan of people listing gift cards, but don't neglect trading non-game things for games, game accessories, services, and more.

Trading is about negotiation and discussion. Math trades break that down - very clinical, very isolated. Fixed lot for fixed lot. So it really helps to look at the request list literally and for inspiration. Ask questions. Take chances.

Don't trade things you won't be happy to part with! But keep an open mind.
Good thoughts. I like the idea of services. I also tried to post in the request thread some unusual things I am looking for.

Services are a great idea. If any of you are miniature painters, that might be a service worth posting. Amaranth bakery items might also count (Joshua) as trade bait for some of us... (this morning I had another kouign amann and a ham and gruyere croissant *sigh*) Knitted Jayne hats or geeky items might trade.

I'm putting up some strange stuff. Maybe it will trade, maybe not. But I figure it's fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack K
United States
Shorewood
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sparr0 wrote:
anglotiger wrote:
That sounds fine. Any contingency for a trader who does not want to disclose their shipping address to me? In that case, having a proxy for the first half would still be useful.

Funky Disco wrote:
I'd like to request a proxy, I will drop off my items and pick up any items from any locations in Milwaukee or Waukesha (or in between)... and I won't be creepy doing it. Anyone able to help me before I put my stuff in the list?
I really don't want to be everyone's proxy in this event, especially with my compact car, three or four passengers, plus all of the games everyone is bringing to trade/sell/play (it's going to be a little tight), but if there are no other volunteers - hint, hint - then I would do it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Sonnenberg
United States
Waukesha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For this item...

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/169328/item/3067898#it...

I'll need a proxy (almost certainly).

The games listed are owned by my son (Drew - dedlius), but they reside at my house in Waukesha. I too can travel to the greater Milwaukee area to drop them off with a proxy, whether it be Jack or someone else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack K
United States
Shorewood
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
colleens wrote:
If we cannot work out day/time that I am home and you are available, then we will leave the stuff in front of my house. It's pretty safe around here, so I would not anticipate problems.
If it comes down to that and you're uncomfortable leaving items there, then we can figure something else out. While my schedule is busy, Colleen's sounds busier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack K
United States
Shorewood
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
255 items so far and, I feel compelled to say, the quality of what's being offered is really pretty high.

Hopefully that continues over the next 6 days. Let's get some more great items out there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Sonnenberg
United States
Waukesha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, I'm diving in too, so I'll need a proxy for both my and Drew's games if traded.

(Mine are also at my house. )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
VETRHUS of Rogaland
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
An ash I know, Yggdrasil its name. With water white is the great tree wet; thence come the dews that fall in the dales. Green by Urth's well does it ever grow.
mbmbmbmbmb
anglotiger wrote:
255 items so far and, I feel compelled to say, the quality of what's being offered is really pretty high.

Hopefully that continues over the next 6 days. Let's get some more great items out there.
And unusual ones... Non-games, services (snow shoveling would grab me), etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Any proxies for the Madison, WI area?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack K
United States
Shorewood
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For anyone who is at all confused by the deletion of certain items in the high 200s, that was me.

We had someone in a different part of the country, who posted items without asking first, and expected to be able to mail all of their traded items to one person here - to save money - and have that person be responsible for distributing them, in spite of my stated condition above of mailing them directly to the winners.

I'm trying to be nice here, not to be used.

It was not Clarence, by the way. Clarence was nice enough to ask first and may participate if he wishes to.

Speaking of which - sorry Clarence - we never did respond to your questions...

sparr0 wrote:
That's highly unlikely to be a problem and if it is we'll work something out.

sparr0 wrote:
Yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
VETRHUS of Rogaland
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MathTrader GC wrote:
Any proxies for the Madison, WI area?
Some folks come up from Madison each year. But I don't know who off hand.

Maybe post in your local guild and see if there are.

Also, I must be honest that I am a bit leery to put any of your items on my lists of wants due to your new status and your name, "MathTrader GC." Would you be willing to identify yourself, and maybe have someone vouch for you who is a known presence with a trade history on bgg?

I read your username as MathTrader Gift Card because they're so prevalent and prolific in MTs. Was that intentional?

It's probably just me with these questions, but I wanted to be transparent so that I can feel comfortable listing your items as wants. There are a couple which interest me.

Peace,
Christian V
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
VETRHUS of Rogaland
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
anglotiger wrote:
For anyone who is at all confused by the deletion of certain items in the high 200s, that was me.

We had someone in a different part of the country, who posted items without asking first, and expected to be able to mail all of their traded items to one person here - to save money - and have that person be responsible for distributing them, in spite of my stated condition above of mailing them directly to the winners.

I'm trying to be nice here, not to be used.

It was not Clarence, by the way. Clarence was nice enough to ask first and may participate if he wishes to.

Speaking of which - sorry Clarence - we never did respond to your questions...

sparr0 wrote:
That's highly unlikely to be a problem and if it is we'll work something out.

sparr0 wrote:
Yes.

Thanks Jack. Good decision. I like this MT because it is a no-ship MT, and although I have proxied in the past, this year I want to simplify my own MT experience.

We have great items for trade with each other, and it's fine to let some folks go the extra mile to participate, but the onus should be on them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack K
United States
Shorewood
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
diehard4life wrote:
Also, I must be honest that I am a bit leery to put any of your items on my lists of wants due to your new status and your name, "MathTrader GC." Would you be willing to identify yourself, and maybe have someone vouch for you who is a known presence with a trade history on bgg?
Joe is OK. While an introduction wouldn't hurt, he helped to start the recent Madison MT (which we talked about by GM), so I wouldn't worry about his "new user" status.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Meadow
United States
Waukesha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Thanks for reading me, I'm so lonely.
mbmbmbmbmb
Well tell Joe to go buy a microbadge so he doesn't look so sketchy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack K
United States
Shorewood
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
364 items so far, and still three days left to add items!

Don't forget about the request list to find out what people are hoping to see (and to ask for the things you'd most like to see):

Fire & Ice Con 2014 - A no-ship math trade - REQUEST LIST

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   |