Subject: How many standard zombies is too many? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kirk Bauer
United States
Smyrna
Georgia
flag msg tools
Colored baggies for your games, www.boardgamestorage.com.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
By standard, I mean non-beserker/non-toxic zombies. The thing is, I already have the base game and season 1 Kickstarter extras, all painted. Now with Prison Outbreak and season 2 Kickstarter extras, I have a bunch more regular zombies. I know that the more miniatures you have, the easier the game becomes. Is there a point where I should cut off the number of minis?

Zombicide Season 1: 40 walkers, 16 runners, 8 fatties, 1 abomination
Season 1 KS Extras: 20 walkers, 6 runners, 4 fatties, 1 abomination
Zombicide Season 2: 30 walkers, 12 runners, 6 fatties, 1 abomination
Season 2 KS Extras: 8 walkers, 4 runners, 2 fatties, 1 abomination

So, in total, I have painted: 60 walkers, 22 runners, 12 fatties, and 2 abominations. If I were to merge everything together, I would have 98 walkers, 38 runners, 20 fatties, and 4 abominations. It seems like that might be more than I realistically ever need? Perhaps the right number of minis is simply S1+S2 (70 walkers, 28 runners, 14 fatties, 2 abominations)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have:

S1
S2
TCM
BOZ 1
BOZ 2
BOZ 3
BOZ 4
BOZ 5
KS 1 extras
KS 2 extras

and I never use most of the zombies!

I find that one 'base set' (be it S1 or S2) is generally about right.

(though I will soon be play testing a combined S1+TCM+S2 scenario in which I'll use the zombies from all three sets)

However, some day I hope to play some kind of ridiculous 18 Survivor, 20 tile, game, and then I'll break out all the extras!

In short: I think it depends on the size of game you're playing - for a 'normal' game, I think the 'standard number' of zombies is just fine - for bigger games, particularly with >6 Survivors, then I'd consider adding proportionally more (because you actually want more zombies on the board at any time (you need more spawn points as well, of course)).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pueblo
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have S1, Box 1, S2, and 2 sets of S2 KS extras.

There have been times when we've had almost all zombies out and were still getting extra activations on fatties and runners. Once zerker and toxics are thrown in, it gets harder to clear out the lower priority zeds with ranged weapons. If you're using the dogs also it adds even more to chew through to take the dogs out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Mage Wars: Beastmaster's Pet
mbmbmbmbmb
if your question is 'should I hold back on the number of zombies I use to increase the risk of extra actions from running out?', I would say it's a matter of opinion. I dislike the extra action rule (from running out of zombies that is, there are 12 extra activation cards in my spawn deck), so I include all my zombies (300+ total). However, some poster here find the extra threat of extra actions, so they adjust their zombie pile accordingly. I imagine to do that well, they would have to change their 'availability pile' for different scenarios.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien Le Jeune
Belgium
Namur
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It doesn't matter how much you house rule your game or not, I think we can all agree that this is really the only aspect that you need to shape up to your liking. Need less zombies: leave them in trays. Need more: go get a BoZ. They exist for a reason!

Stephanie Baynes wrote:
I would say it's a matter of opinion. I dislike the extra action rule (from running out of zombies that is, there are 12 extra activation cards in my spawn deck), so I include all my zombies (300+ total).

I've tried a lot of combos, and the one I had the most fun with is the exact same one, and it's very easy to setup. Throw all 12 extra activations, play with all the spawn cards, and get all your zombies to the table. Mega hordes receiving extra activations every ~3-4 turns or something. I don't like the "manage the number of zombies left to avoid extra activations" thing, as I find it unthematic. Especially if I have 150 zombies on the bench waiting to be subed in, and plenty of extra activation cards to keep me on my toes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At the moment I tend to use all my Zombies (S1 base game, plus PO/TCM & S2 KS extras) because I find myself playing more with people who have not played that regularly so like to stave off the extra activations. I also have all my zombies thrown together in zip lock bags so separating out the correct number would be a pita!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shoogoo wrote:
It doesn't matter how much you house rule your game or not, I think we can all agree that this is really the only aspect that you need to shape up to your liking. Need less zombies: leave them in trays. Need more: go get a BoZ. They exist for a reason!

Agreed.

Personally, I like the threat of extra activations - I see it as the game's way of saying "you're not playing well enough!" and then rapping you over the knuckles.

Also, it's just too easy to simply kite large groups of zombies around the board.

I don't deliberately manage how many zombies I'm killing to avoid them, but if I lose through reactivations due to running out then it gives me more motivation to play better, and beat the game, next time round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andi Anonymous
Germany
flag msg tools
Im using these boxes:
S1
S2
TCM
Walk of the Dead 1
Angry Crowd
Toxic Crowd
Zombie Dogs
KS 2 extras
Walk of the Dead 2 spawncards via Kickstarter
Companion Dogs

I use all extra activation cards available (S1,S2,WotD2) to compensate the big number of standard zombies.

Playedtested some selfmade 15-18 tile > 7 spawns missons with 8-10 survivors + playercontrolled barricades and used up ALL my minis.
Of course you die or get stuck between hordes (thanks to red weapons you sometimes are able to hold your ground but can't advance any further ) soon after that.

Biggest problem on >12 tiles maps is the distance between the spawns, you can simply run out of a zombie type before the first zombie from the farthest away spawn point made contact with the survivors. Playing with >12 survivors should compensate that, because you can split in independent teams.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
there is no official limit on how many zombies you should use.

for the standard scenarios, your numbers of 70 walkers etc. are fine.

the bigger the board and higher number of spawn points will require more zombies but as to know the best number, its a process of trial and error.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
You paid for them all, so chuck them all in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Bauer
United States
Smyrna
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr Skeletor wrote:
You paid for them all, so chuck them all in.

Well, I need to paint them... So it isn't that easy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Nolin
Japan
Nakamachi, Hiroshima
Hiroshima-ken
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scorpion0x17 wrote:
(though I will soon be play testing a combined S1+TCM+S2 scenario in which I'll use the zombies from all three sets)

However, some day I hope to play some kind of ridiculous 18 Survivor, 20 tile, game, and then I'll break out all the extras!

Perhaps, something like this 4x6 tile game with 4 players 3 survivors each. Very chaotic fun and lots of zombies spawning before we were overwhelmed at the entrance to the mall, which never got opened or spawned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.