8 Posts

Mage Knight Board Game» Forums » General

Subject: Solo Scenarios? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
ghost whistler
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Where are they?i thought this game was all about the solitarrire play but there are only 2 in the ook and one of them is the tutorial.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ambroz Podkoritnik
Slovenia
Velenje
Europe
flag msg tools
mb
You can play other scenarios (Mines Liberation, Dungeon Lords, Druid Nights, ...) solo as well using 2-player setup.
Otherwise, The Lost Legion expansion adds more solo scenarios with Volkare.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
You can play each scenario (even "One to Return") solo. This is all the rulebook has to say though:

Rulebook wrote:
Other Solo Missions
This is a standard solo mission. If you wish though, you may play any other mission as solo, just use similar setup modications and Special rules as this mission.

So you can (and have to) adapt the scenarios yourself.

You should probably play the standard solo scenario a couple of times first though. There's plenty of variability in tile setup, the order that the cards appear in, and the enemy tokens. That'll also give you the experience to know what you can and should change for playing the other scenarios solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
haslo wrote:

So you can (and have to) adapt the scenarios yourself.

You should probably play the standard solo scenario a couple of times first though. There's plenty of variability in tile setup, the order that the cards appear in, and the enemy tokens. That'll also give you the experience to know what you can and should change for playing the other scenarios solo.

Yep. a common feature of Vlaada games (Galaxy Trucker, Dungeon Lords, etc.) is how customizable they are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ghost whistler
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
brosxa wrote:
You can play other scenarios (Mines Liberation, Dungeon Lords, Druid Nights, ...) solo as well using 2-player setup.
Do the competitive missions really translate to solo v dummy player (i wish they'd though of a more thematic name for that component)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
ghost whistler wrote:
brosxa wrote:

Do the competitive missions really translate to solo v dummy player (i wish they'd though of a more thematic name for that component)?

The first question you should ask is "do I really need more than one solo scenario when it's as varied as this one". Personally, I've only played the game a dozen times, and a bit over half of them were solo. Every single play was the standard solo conquest, and I'm nowhere near bored of it. Others have played it dozens, some even hundreds of times. It doesn't get boring fast.

That being said, one of the main complaints this game faces is that even when it's not cooperative, it's rarely really directly interactive by necessity. This makes some people not like the game that otherwise might, but the good news for you is: Even when you lose all the direct interaction the game has, you don't lose all that much at all.

In short: Yes, they translate well to solo play. (And it's not really "versus" the dummy player - he's just an elaborate timer mostly.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ghost whistler
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I want as many scenarios as I can get my hands on!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Libonati Rocha
Brazil
Curitiba
ParanĂ¡
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ghost whistler wrote:
I want as many scenarios as I can get my hands on!

You can look for some other scenarios in variants section of the forum or create your own scenarios. Beside this you can even try the solo scenario with the variants of the rulebook, like raise the city levels or adopte megalopolis... anyway you have a lot of options before look for other scenarios.

You can also create your own scenario. But I think you should play the solo scenario a dozen of times and try the others scenario with the solo variant before to face this challenge.

The dummy don't play against you in none of the scenarios. It's just a game mechanic to emulate the tempo to play, the most important factor in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.