Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David O
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
mb
Let me preface this by stating that I've yet to actually play this game. I've flipped through the rules and previewed some cards in preparation for buying a core set.

I've noticed some objective cards (ex: Feeding the Pit) that have "X affiliation only" text. What does this mean, exactly?

I know that you have to match the card you're playing to a faction resource when you play. Is that the same thing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Kimball
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The "X affiliation only." text is a deckbuilding restriction for those objective sets. WHen you construct a deck you may only choose those sets if they match the affiliation card you're using for the deck.

If I'm building a mono-Jedi deck, then I'll use the Jedi affiliation card and can throw in A Journey to Dagobah. Or if I'm running mostly Sith but splashing Navy I'd use a Navy affiliation, allowing me to use The Ultimate Power.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you put that objective in your deck at all, then you MUST use the corresponding affiliation card.
It doesn't mean anything during the actual play of the game, but is just a restriction on how you can build your deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Fanchi
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When you build a deck, you choose an affiliation card for that deck. When using an "X affiliation only" objective set, you must have affiliation X in order to include that set in your deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David O
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
mb
So it keeps that objective from being your "splash" affiliation?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Owen Compton
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quite the opposite actually, might help with a better explanation.

- You will typically only have 10 objective sets in your deck.
- Paying for a card in the game means you have to pay at least one resource from a resource card of the matching affiliation.
- You will probably play 6, 7 or 8 sets of your "main" faction - your "main" faction is NOT necessarily your affiliation card. So for this example I decide I'm going to have 6 Sith sets in my deck. Because I have 6 in then it's very unlikely that I won't have at least one in my initial objective draw so I won't need to worry about making Sith resource matches when playing Sith cards.
- Your remaining sets will likely be from another faction, neutral sets are possible but this example will assume you have 4 sets from a different faction, for this example that will be the Imperial Navy.
- Now because I'm running only four sets of the Imperial Navy then I have to be more concerned about not having a single Imperial Navy objective in my opening draw and that will stop me playing those cards. Therefore I choose to have the Imperial Navy affiliation card as my affiliation to guarantee that I will always have at least one Imperial Navy resource open to me.

^ This is a fairly typical deck design; i.e. 6 of one faction, 4 of the other, take the affiliation card of the 4-set faction.

With that explanation out of the way then the "X affiliation only" cards create one of a few options when deck building.

1) You're mostly playing Sith sets, but you really want an Imperial Navy affiliation only set in your deck. This is simple to resolve as you will likely be choosing the Imperial Navy affiliation card anyway.
2) You're playing a mostly Imperial Navy deck and you want to splash Sith but also include a Imperial Navy affiliation only set. This causes and obvious problem. In order to guarantee that you have enough resources to consistently pay for Sith cards then you need the Sith affiliation card, but you can't take that AND include the Imperial Navy affiliation only set, which leads to one of two solutions:
2.I) You don't take the Imperial Navy affiliation only set and feel sad.
2.II) You abandon your Sith splash and just go pure Imperial Navy sets, including all sets as Imperial Navy (possibly some neutral too) and taking your affiliation as Imperial Navy.

Typically where you're deck building and you want an X affiliation only set then that will probably end up being your splash affiliation because making your deck entirely one faction usually means giving up the variety and flexibility that taking sets from outside your faction brings.

A caveat to this is that some X affiliation only sets (specifically thinking of Lucrative Contract) actually encourage you to play entirely one faction (see the Corrupt Official card in that set).

Plenty of food for thought there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schwarz
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hwangman wrote:
So it keeps that objective from being your "splash" affiliation?
That's the theory. In practice, not so much.

In theory, you pick your affiliation, then you can include objectives from any affiliation on your side to fill out your deck.

In practice, you'll usually want to use your affiliation card to pay for cards from a second affiliation. So, as far as the affiliation restricted objective sets can tell, you're actually playing that faction.

For example, Sith gets Heart of the Empire, this is a very beefy defensive objective. Navy gets Unstoppable Assault, this is your classic AT-AT steamroll.

If you're playing Sith, you can choose to load up on Sith cards and take Heart of the Empire, or you could choose to splash Unstoppable Assault by selecting the Navy affiliation card, which would lock you out of taking Heart of the Empire.

You could simply splash a normal objective, like The Bespin Exchange (Boba Fett), and still keep your Sith affiliation card, but that tends to be a bit risky. Unless you get a mix of different affiliations in your starting objective draw, you can easily find yourself locked out of playing cards from one of your factions.

There are a few cards that let you play cards without having to match affiliations, but those tend to chew up 10% of your deck if you go that route, which isn't exactly the definition of splashing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.