9 Posts

Eldritch Horror» Forums » Rules

Subject: Mythos Deck Construction? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Why exactly is the Mythos Deck constructed so that there are three stages in the deck and each stage has a different proportion of the three types of Mythos Card? I have not looked at the cards in detail but there must be a desired effect from this construction method. Is it increasing game difficulty or what?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NappyPlayer wrote:
Why exactly is the Mythos Deck constructed so that there are three stages in the deck and each stage has a different proportion of the three types of Mythos Card? I have not looked at the cards in detail but there must be a desired effect from this construction method. Is it increasing game difficulty or what?

Each color of cards has different activations. Yellow and Green both advance the Omen track. Blues are always Rumors. Yellow activates Reckoning and spawns a Gate. Green and Blue both spawn Clues. Green also has a Monster Surge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Ripshawd wrote:
NappyPlayer wrote:

Each color of cards has different activations. Yellow and Green both advance the Omen track. Blues are always Rumors. Yellow activates Reckoning and spawns a Gate. Green and Blue both spawn Clues. Green also has a Monster Surge.

The last game I played was against Asathoth and I think the number of yellow/beige cards was higher in each successive stage, which suggests the deck construction method is to increase game difficulty steadily throughout the game. Are all the Old Ones like that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Honig
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NappyPlayer wrote:

It is about game pacing!

The Mythos Deck is 16 cards (for each current GOO), in 4 phases. Phase 1 is roughly an even mix of the 3 - 1-2-1 in some variety. Phase 2 starts giving you more reckonings and surges, while Phase 3 starts throwing a ton of Reckonings (generally 4/6) at you. This causes the game to become more difficult as it goes, since your characters will have leveled up and become stronger by then.

Remember that blue cards don't do anything bad immediately (put present serious long-term threat), green cards are a nuisance that can be painful, and yellow cards are the most painful. This constructions tweaks the game tempo around the proper card difficulties.

This also pushes a lot of clues to the midgame (when you need to collect them, and leaves them on the map for endgame), while blitzing reckonings and gate spawns during that endgame phase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Marley
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blue cards can sometimes be ignored if they come late. By placing them in the first two stages it makes it so they can not be ignored.

It also spreads out the clue distribution to prevent horrible clumps like 6 yellows in a row.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is in response to the giant Mythos deck in Arkham. While the ratio is pretty similar, with about 5 Rumors to every 15 Headlines and 10 Environments (Ongoing), the issue is drawing three or four Rumors as your first four turns can drastically alter the difficulty of the game compared to drawing none.

In Eldritch, the cards are paced out so that while the actual cards you draw and in which order are unknown, the ratio of the cards remain the same -- this will become even more important as expansions grow the total Mythos card count. This way, they don't have to have the same ratio of cards and further, as a deck grows, even if the ratio is kept constant, the odds of a larger swing of a certain type or lack of a certain type of card increases.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yuriy Matuhno
Ukraine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is made to provide balanced game experience, unlike Arkham Horror.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's also forward looking. Expansions can add a bunch of mythos cards and not change the pacing of the game due to this deck building.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved from General to Rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.