Chad
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
We will bury you
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the game set up for the 3 (or fourth) time and I really want to give it a go - however, I am REALLY struggling with how to play.

What is the best way for someone to come up to speed - assuming no one is there to teach. (I looked through the forums and did not see anything leaping out at me)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ross
Ireland
Cork
Ireland
flag msg tools
The mysteries about how we evolved should not distract us from the indisputable fact that we did evolve. -- Jerry A. Coyne
badge
It takes courage to grow up and turn out to be who you really are. -- E E Cummings
mbmbmbmbmb
Try viewing this runthrough and its follow-ups first.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/video/38024/high-frontier/rahdo...

This should also help:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/60457/high-frontier-wa...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Minneman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Jackasses? You let a whole column get stalled and strafed on account of a couple of jackasses? What the hell's the matter with you?
mbmbmbmbmb
Your other option is to either get in on, or follow, a basic play-by-forum game here on BGG. Go to the "Play By Forum" folder. PBF#13 just concluded, and is a basic game. I'm probably going to start another basic PBF game as soon as PBF#10 (which I'm also moderating) concludes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Red Eye
United States
flag msg tools
D6 dead ahead Captain!
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're not using the new reformatted rule set, grab it from the files section. I find the new layout more intuitive than the one that comes in the box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
We will bury you
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent - thanks all for the replies!

I do want to learn to play this game - hell, I play ASL and some World In Flames - so not sure why this is melting my brain (perhaps it is because I am getting older)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom W -
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Its all just the initial wrapping your head around it. The play by plays of the forum games are probably best to get an idea.

I learned the game myself last month, took about 4 solo games to get the basic idea. Ironically, when I have taught the game to others, they are up and racing along with 5-10 second turns within about 1 hour. SO the investment in learning this game is well worth it. To you as well as your gaming group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
VAST: The Mysterious Manor
badge
DV: Anakin Skywalker was weak. I destroyed him.                 AT: Then I will avenge his death.             DV: Revenge is not the Jedi way.         AT: I am no Jedi.
mbmbmbmbmb
Movement and how it works with the fuel board is by far the most complicated part of the game, so once you've got that down the rest falls into place pretty easily.

For your first time or two, don't even both with turns or operations. Just place your rocket on LEO or some other random site, pick out a thruster card (the VASIMR, De Laval, or Hall Effect are good ones to start), load it up with fuel, and then start flying around to see how far you can get with it. Try following a few of the signposted (colored) routes and try going off in other directions.

Once you're a little more comfortable with moving around, add in a robonaut and try a little prospecting and refueling.

After you have the hang of movement, then start looking into the various operations and what you need to do to actually build a rocket from scratch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom W -
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Yeah, basically with the map, realize there are pink dots (costs a burn), and dots that arnt pink (free). then there is round stuff (change directions for free) and sharp angles (ends your turn, or costs 2 burns for a sharp turn). everything else is fairly intuitive (skulls are a hazard roll, radiation spots, air brakes are 1-way, etc)

Hint: Just get to deimos and refuel. almost any thruster can get there. then truck the rest of the way to a site in the asteroid belt
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Bob742
msg tools
War is a Racket - Maj Gen Smedley Darlington Butler d
mbmb
robbbbbb wrote:
Your other option is to either get in on, or follow, a basic play-by-forum game here on BGG. Go to the "Play By Forum" folder. PBF#13 just concluded, and is a basic game. I'm probably going to start another basic PBF game as soon as PBF#10 (which I'm also moderating) concludes.

How do play by forums work?
I mean, everyone has to have their own copy set up at their house or wherever they are with their computer so they can follow the game with others, right?
But what about drawing cards for bidding on?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erich Schneider
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
An additional person acts as the moderator and keeps track of the card decks, and also serves as the ultimate source for the state of the game. Various people have developed spreadsheets that will keep track of that for you, and also output appropriately marked-up text showing the state of the game (card decks, player cards, claims, factories, etc.).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Shields
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
erich_schneider wrote:
An additional person acts as the moderator and keeps track of the card decks, and also serves as the ultimate source for the state of the game. Various people have developed spreadsheets that will keep track of that for you, and also output appropriately marked-up text showing the state of the game (card decks, player cards, claims, factories, etc.).

I'd definitely be up for joining in a forum game is somebody is looking to create a new one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.