Hide
5 Posts

War of the Ring (Second Edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: Partially 'Retreating Into a Siege'? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jordan Franklin
msg tools
Just picked up this game. Played my first a couple days ago.

If I have more than 5 army units in say, Minas Tirith, and the shadow player attacks it, can I retreat only 5 army units into the stronghold and leave the remainder to fight a field battle? Or do I have to retreat the entire army, sending any remaining units to the reinforcements box?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Einmal ist keinmal
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You'll Never Walk Alone
mbmbmbmbmb
Quietuss wrote:

If I have more than 5 army units in say, Minas Tirith, and the shadow player attacks it, can I retreat only 5 army units into the stronghold and leave the remainder to fight a field battle? Or do I have to retreat the entire army, sending any remaining units to the reinforcements box?

I'm afraid not. When retreating into the stronghold, any units above five are eliminated. (Remember that leaders and minions/characters do not count as units).

Edit: Here is the rules reference, p. 31:
Quote:
Any unit in excess of five is removed immediately when a Stronghold comes under siege. Units removed in this way can re-enter the game later as reinforcements.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf B
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's all or nothing: field battle or retrat into siege. If you have more than 5 Army units the remainder are returned to reinforcements (not eliminated).

Not sure if you've checked out this example of play, but it features an instance where Aragorn gives battle at Dol Amroth before retreating into the stronghold.

[edited to clarify status of excess units]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Yaure
United States
Plymouth Meeting
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Desiderata wrote:
Quietuss wrote:

I'm afraid not. When retreating into the stronghold, any units above five are eliminated. (Remember that leaders and minions/characters do not count as units).

Edit: Here is the rules reference, p. 31:
Quote:
Any unit in excess of five is removed immediately when a Stronghold comes under siege. Units removed in this way can re-enter the game later as reinforcements.

But to be clear, the are not "eliminated". They are returned to the reinforcements and are available to be mustered again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Franklin
msg tools
Thanks for the responses. I was afraid that was the official ruling on it. Slight mistake. I only left one brave unit behind to hold off the hoard of orcs on the field of battle, though he did not score a hit. No harm no foul I guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.