Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Page 11 (top of the second column) states that panic interludes don't happen if there a caged intruder. This leads to a weird situation:

Assume that two intruders are in play and they're at life stage 6. The remaining clones are waiting for the next panic interlude to enter the game.

One of the two intruders in play are caged and frozen in the Freezer.

Now the rule mentioned above means that there will never be another panic interlude in the game no matter how many crew members are killed, which means that the last clones will never enter play.

Am I understanding this correctly? If so then the rule seems weird to me. I see no thematic or mechanical reason for it. So can anyone tell me whether I'm missing something or what the reasoning behind the rule is?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Tullsen
United States
VANCOUVER
WA
flag msg tools
designer
48 hour turnaround time for Prototypes!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you already have an intruder caged and "permanently" captured, the crew are much less likely to panic and run around (which leads to losing track of the intruder). Plus, caged intruders can't clone themselves. This is the "thematic" reasoning for the rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Howitzer_120mm wrote:
If you already have an intruder caged and "permanently" captured, the crew are much less likely to panic and run around (which leads to losing track of the intruder). Plus, caged intruders can't clone themselves. This is the "thematic" reasoning for the rule.

That was a quick response. Thanks.

I don't really understand the reasoning though. In my example there's still an intruder on the loose that can clone itself, and if a caged intruder bolsters morale why doesn't a killed one?

But maybe I'm just overanalyzing this , it just seems off to me in a game that's otherwise very thematic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Tullsen
United States
VANCOUVER
WA
flag msg tools
designer
48 hour turnaround time for Prototypes!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, you are a science vessel, and are trying to study the intruder, so killing one throws off your mission.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neal Sofge
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
My house rule is to panic when an Intruder is frozen -- it simulates planning the next phase of the defensive campaign around a big table in the Command area. And the "frozen" state takes precedence over the "caged" state.

I think the original rule is really meant to keep you from freaking out and leaving a caged Intruder just sitting there like any other animal. Also, it goes with the lack of panic while you have a prodded Intruder under control, the cage is just an even better version of that state. While you're on the way to freeze it or blow it out the airlock you're in charge, so you don't panic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sofge wrote:
My house rule is to panic when an Intruder is frozen -- it simulates planning the next phase of the defensive campaign around a big table in the Command area. And the "frozen" state takes precedence over the "caged" state.

I think the original rule is really meant to keep you from freaking out and leaving a caged Intruder just sitting there like any other animal. Also, it goes with the lack of panic while you have a prodded Intruder under control, the cage is just an even better version of that state. While you're on the way to freeze it or blow it out the airlock you're in charge, so you don't panic.

I like that house rule .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eleazar Lawson
msg tools
badge
Although they were slain, they slew; And until the end of the world will they be honoured.
mbmbmbmbmb
I know I'm a couple of years late but I think I can add some perspective on this. Once you push an intruder into the freezer, caged or not, unless it is immune to cold, it is eliminated and needn't be considered caged anymore. So in the example above you would proceed with your panic phase.

Don't get too wrapped around the axle with the panic phase...it doesn't necessarily mean anyone is panicking (although they may be!). I see a lot of over-rationalizing like "I just killed an intruder...wouldn't that boost my crew's morale?" Or "I guess they don't panic because they feel brave because they are controlling an intruder." The morale of the crew really has nothing to do with it. The (thematic) rationale is the crew has new information so they gather to regroup and come up with a new plan. In that sense, it reminds me of the preservation phases in TSR's Bughunter (another pretty good game by the way). In the face of a certain number of casualties, the marines regroup in a controlled or "secure" area. Maybe the panic phase in Intruder! should have been called the "regroup phase."

It could even been called the "housekeeping phase" because on the face of it, all rationalizing aside, it is simply a fairly transparent way to reshuffle the blips, introduce the clones in to play, etc. (The 'mechanistic' rationale). Houseruling it out of the game really changes the dynamics and should be done with real caution.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.