Subject: Yet another Polar Bear question! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
chief stride
United Kingdom
wallington
Surrey
flag msg tools
Under rules Fii it says if you enter a space with a polar bear you have the option to 'stop on this space' to send the polar bear off in another direction. However, later on there is a comment that states, 'you can never finish your turn on a space with a polar bear'.

Is this just for the purposes of escaping a bear that has been bounced to you? I guess it's the case that when you initially stop on a space with a polar bear you technically haven't finished your turn as you still have to move the polar bear. Could you then keep moving yourself?

Also just to confirm you would need 2 fish for the purposes of moving bears (not ones that have been moved to you but ones you encounter by moving your explorer to in your own turn). 1 to distract then another to move it. Is that correct?

Yet another question is about moving way from a bear that ends up on your ice floe.

I'm confused. You need to immediately move away (1 fish, 1 rope or no resources) but only after you've moved away can you bounce a polar bear?

The wording, 'you may also use a fish to bounce a bear' suggests this is in addition to moving away not instead of. Basically, if a bear ends up on your ice floe can you bounce it without having to run away thus requiring the need of only 1 fish in total?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not completely sure what you are asking. I will give it a shot though.

chiefdog wrote:
Under rules Fii it says if you enter a space with a polar bear you have the option to 'stop on this space' to send the polar bear off in another direction. However, later on there is a comment that states, 'you can never finish your turn on a space with a polar bear'.

Right. You can use the fish to move through the polar beer or you can stop and send him away. Your choice.
Quote:

Is this just for the purposes of escaping a bear that has been bounced to you?

No

Quote:
I guess it's the case that when you initially stop on a space with a polar bear you technically haven't finished your turn as you still have to move the polar bear. Could you then keep moving yourself?

I don't think so.

Quote:
Also just to confirm you would need 2 fish for the purposes of moving bears (not ones that have been moved to you but ones you encounter by moving your explorer to in your own turn). 1 to distract then another to move it. Is that correct?

It is 1 fish per bear. If you stop the bear leaves, if you keep going the bear stays put.

Quote:
Yet another question is about moving way from a bear that ends up on your ice floe.

OK.

Quote:
I'm confused. You need to immediately move away (1 fish, 1 rope or no resources) but only after you've moved away can you bounce a polar bear?

I think you get to stay put if you bounce the polar bear.

Quote:
The wording, 'you may also use a fish to bounce a bear' suggests this is in addition to moving away not instead of. Basically, if a bear ends up on your ice floe can you bounce it without having to run away thus requiring the need of only 1 fish in total?

I think also is "instead of" in this case. That is more or less how I have been playing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Monroe
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you downloaded the V1.03 instructions? That's what I use (I haven't read the original rules) but the latest rules set seems to me to be fairly clear on the polar bears. Here's my take:

You can never end your movement on a ice floe with a polar bear so if you move onto a tile with 1 polar bear you must discard 1 fish and choose between:
1. continue moving (thematically: you've distracted the bear with a fish) following the usual rules of using fish to swim/rope to cross jagged edges OR
2. move the bear in a straight line of your choosing (thematically: you've thrown the fish in that direction which the bear chases after). The bear stops when it reaches another ice floe, Diomede Islands or leaves the Bearing Strait. It can not land in Alaska or Siberia.

You use 1 fish per bear, up to 2 bears so if there are 2 then do the above twice therefore you will need 2 fish (3 if you plan on swimming off that ice floe)

If someone else discards a fish and a polar bear arrives on your ice flow, you must immediately:
1. move off that ice floe to an adjacent ice floe or 1 sea space following the regular movement rules and proper use of rope/fish OR
2. discard 1 fish and move the polar bear in a straight line until it reaches another ice floe (not the one it came from), Diomede Islands, or leaves the Bearing Strait.

If the ice floe you moved to has a polar bear on it then you need to deal with this bear as well (discard 1 food then continue moving OR move the bear in a straight line - see above)

I imagine there could be some chain reactions going on but for the most part it shouldn't be too bad

Remember you have to escape from the polar bear if you are able to, but if you can't them you move that explorer to any start station in Alaska of your choosing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.