Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Roger Howell
United States
Lenexa
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have my eye on this game and I am really tempted to buy it, but I am a little bothered by the scoring memory aspect of it. For one, I do not like memory games. And two, it seems like you would have more of a goal in the game if you knew exactly what you needed. Otherwise you're just trying to remember and guessing and I don't think that sounds very fun.

So my question is: Can you play the game with open scoring information? How would it change the game? Would it slow down the game because of AP? The game doesn't look that complicated to induce AP.

Thanks in advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico Robbemont
Belgium
Hoogstraten
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my opinion the game can be played perfectly with open scoring information. In fact, I prefer playing without the memory aspect.
I don't think it really slows down the game.

When playing with closed completed orders, the true AP prone players might try to deduct the amount of completed coaltypes by the number of minecarts that players have and which of these cubes are still in their playing area. This might even take longer than just looking at the open order cards (or is this stretching it?).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Schwartz
United States
Jackson
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
www.therulesforge.com
badge
Get your slimy, webbed phalanges off ma boots!
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoy the memory aspect. I would anticipate that open scoring would lead to some AP as true optimizers would run all permutations ad nauseum.

IMO, this game really benefits from its quick playtime, and I don't want to jeopardize that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Schlickbernd
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We play it open and have no issues with down time. Note however that I don't play with the AP prone so YMMV.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Saul-Sehy
United States
Texarkana
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had to think for a moment about what the "memory aspect" of the game was, because it's such a tiny part of the game unless you're a really hard core player. While we play to win, I've never bothered too much thinking that I had to really hone in on exactly what people had already accomplished. I got a basic idea at the end of every round and that was good enough.

Plus, by the time the bigger scoring rounds occur, you're not competitive in every area, so it minimizes the amount of items you need to remember. I've found that there have been only two or three areas that I really needed to focus on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karen Knoblaugh
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
We always play with open information and have never had a problem with AP. We think that it increases the strategy by being able to see what orders the other players have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence Burnett
Wales
Cardiff
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Having recently purchased this my wife and I played and enjoyed it.
I think I would prefer open information too.

Even better would be a board for tracking purposes. Ideally the Coal types. The mine carts are from an open source and the order cards would be easy to lay out by transport type. The different coal types may be more problematic to quickly reference between players though, causing down time with people stopping to check order cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.