Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike
United States
Cicero
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Situation: You have 3 cursed village tiles already and are working to exorcise a demon whose curse is to roll the curse die. After exorcising, can you use your yin-yang token before rolling the curse die to flip a village tile just in case you roll a tile haunting, thus ending the game?

Furthermore, if you're on your last Qi and life you could also use it to gain another Qi should you roll -1 Qi.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tootsie Roll
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
I came. I saw.
badge
I lost miserably.
mbmbmbmbmb
From the rules on Yin-Yang tokens:
Quote:
The active player can use his Yin-Yang token before or after any step of the Yang phase...

Since the curse is occurring during the Yin phase, the Taoist cannot use their yin-yang token, and the game is lost (or the taoist is dead in the later example.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blazur wrote:
Situation: You have 3 cursed village tiles already and are working to exorcise a demon whose curse is to roll the curse die. After exorcising, can you use your yin-yang token before rolling the curse die to flip a village tile just in case you roll a tile haunting, thus ending the game?
First off, the new rules should've been revised to say any THREE village tiles that are haunted means the game ends and good guys lose, NOT the 4th one.

However, this question can still be applied if we offset the threshold by one... AFAIK, the timing here is also that you'd need to use the YY before you attempt an exorcism. You can't "interrupt" the YY token after you kill a ghost, but before resolving the right stone effect of roll the curse die.

Blazur wrote:
Furthermore, if you're on your last Qi and life you could also use it to gain another Qi should you roll -1 Qi.

You'd need to use it first. You can't roll the curse die, see that it's a -1 Qi, use the YY to get back a Qi, and THEN apply the -1 qi. After you roll the curse die, you need to resolve that immediately first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
Cicero
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jentinma wrote:

Since the curse is occurring during the Yin phase, the Taoist cannot use their yin-yang token, and the game is lost (or the taoist is dead in the later example.

Sorry, I should have clarified. I was referring to the curse that comes about after a successful exorcism during the yang phase, when applicable. Since the rules allow for use of the tokens at any point during this phase, my question was is it possible to apply the token prior to rolling that die? This would be especially important when defeating a cursed incarnation while on the verge of defeat.

Also I keep hearing about these updated rules. Can anybody please supply a link? The rulebook I downloaded from this forum is apparently dated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tootsie Roll
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
I came. I saw.
badge
I lost miserably.
mbmbmbmbmb
Blazur wrote:
jentinma wrote:

Sorry, I should have clarified. I was referring to the curse that comes about after a successful exorcism during the yang phase, when applicable. Since the rules allow for use of the tokens at any point during this phase, my question was is it possible to apply the token prior to rolling that die? This would be especially important when defeating a cursed incarnation while on the verge of defeat.

Also I keep hearing about these updated rules. Can anybody please supply a link? The rulebook I downloaded from this forum is apparently dated.

In that case, the rule quoted would still apply. You have to finish resolving the attack including the curse die before you could use the token since the token can be used only "before or after any step during the yang phase", not during. This agrees with what was said by ackmondual
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blazur wrote:
Not quite the same thing, but this does appear to be updated even though it's a "secondary source"
http://www.orderofgamers.com/downloads/GhostStories_v2.pdf

... or never mind, here's from Repos. Click on the language and color or B&W.
http://rprod.com/index.php?page=download-9
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Thomason
New Zealand
Nelson
None
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
First off, the new rules should've been revised to say any THREE village tiles that are haunted means the game ends and good guys lose, NOT the 4th one.

Seems like a pointless change. Ending on the 4th tile seemed to be perfectly fine for the Initiation difficulty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Weaselboy wrote:
ackmondual wrote:

Seems like a pointless change. Ending on the 4th tile seemed to be perfectly fine for the Initiation difficulty.
No arguments here, although Initiation level is still easier than normal though...
3 Qi, not 4
No black TT

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.