Serge Levert
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
99th play of AA finally got an Orb game in. After that and a full reading of its rules section, some wording leaves questions to make everything 100% clear. Rulebook quotes in italics.

1) In 2pe can you Explore Orb/Explore +5, or Explore Orb/Explore +1? Works as you'd imagine? Get all 3 orb actions, get the explore phase bonus chosen? [Play proceeds normally, except that an orb step takes place whenever one or more players choose Explore, before resolving the Explore phase normally. Important: selecting any Explore action, such as Explore: +1,+1 or Explore: +5, results in one orb step being done; it need not be an Explore: Orb action.]

2) When passing to return survey team(s) to any airlock space, can you leave one where it is and move the other? Can you move each researcer to a different airlock? [It is possible to wall in or “strand” survey teams by orb card plays. (A player can pass to return his survey team(s) to any airlock space.)]

3) Can you inaccessibly place an orb card, not overlapping any squares, overlapping only the very tip/cornerpost of a card? [When placing a card, it can either overlap just edges or it can cover some portion of existing orb cards, but at least one of its squares must cover some space not covered by any other orb cards.]
+--+--+
| |
+ Orb +
| |
+ +
| |
+--+--+--+--+
| |
+ New +
| Card|
+ +
| |
+--+--+

4) Presumably you can consume the Alien good provided from artifacts, through Trade League/Black Market Trading World. Why would they add the trade clarification if you can? Of course you need to choose trade, to trade. Is it merely clarification for new players that might not know that trade is a bonus only for the player choosing the action? [May play as an Alien technology good in any phase. To trade this good, you must choose Consume: Trade. To consume this good during a Consume phase, you need an unused power which can consume an Alien Technology good.]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
entranced wrote:
1) In 2pe can you Explore Orb/Explore +5, or Explore Orb/Explore +1?

Yes. Combine the bonuses (as per the 2PE rules).

Quote:
2) When passing to return survey team(s) to any airlock space, can you leave one where it is and move the other?

Yes. See the full description of the pass option on page 4.

Quote:
3) Can you inaccessibly place an orb card, not overlapping any squares, overlapping only the very tip/cornerpost of a card?

No. A corner is not an edge.

Quote:
4) Presumably you can consume the Alien good provided from artifacts, through Trade League/Black Market Trading World.

Correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
Is is mandatory to do the full number of Orb actions you are entitled to?

Last night I desperately wanted the game to go on one more turn so I could Consume x2 for 16 VP, so (as the last player in the Orb phase) I did not want to pick the one remaining Orb card up. I had no Orb cards. I decided I could not legally move to get an Orb token and do nothing else, so I passed and returned to the Airlock. (Could I have just moved and skipped the card draw? Could I have passed and left my one team where it was?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
Don't fall in love with me yet, we only recently met
mbmbmbmbmb
See Issues about the optionality of orb actions..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serge Levert
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric Brosius wrote:

In a nutshell, the only thing you are forced to do, is Draw an Orb Card if you selected Orb Explore.

Eric Brosius wrote:
Last night I desperately wanted the game to go on one more turn so I could Consume x2 for 16 VP, so (as the last player in the Orb phase) I did not want to pick the one remaining Orb card up. I had no Orb cards. I decided I could not legally move to get an Orb token and do nothing else, so I passed and returned to the Airlock. (Could I have just moved and skipped the card draw? Could I have passed and left my one team where it was?)

You can move up to 4 spaces, which includes 0, effectively passing. You can select "May Play an Orb Card" and choose not to play one. Presumably this applies even with none in hand.

What you did also works "a player who passes shifts his disk to the topmost priority spot and may return each of his survey teams to any of the placed airlock spaces". (emphasis added) You could have left them where they were.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Goch
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric Brosius wrote:

Yes, but note that the Move Survey Team action says up to 4 spaces. You can choose 0. And note that the May Play Orb Card says "may". You can pick those two actions and essentially do nothing. That being said I don't know if you can permissibly choose the "May Play Orb Card" action if you don't actually have any Orb Cards.

The card draw, if you take it, is mandatory.

ninja'ed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Booth
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
entranced wrote:

4) Presumably you can consume the Alien good provided from artifacts, through Trade League/Black Market Trading World. Why would they add the trade clarification if you can? Of course you need to choose trade, to trade. Is it merely clarification for new players that might not know that trade is a bonus only for the player choosing the action? [May play as an Alien technology good in any phase. To trade this good, you must choose Consume: Trade. To consume this good during a Consume phase, you need an unused power which can consume an Alien Technology good.]

I think the only thing that makes the Artifact Alien good different from a World Alien good is that you aren't forced to reveal and consume it if you have a valid consumption target. Everything else should treat the alien token good as identical to an alien world good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
cathexis wrote:
I think the only thing that makes the Artifact Alien good different from a World Alien good is that you aren't forced to reveal and consume it if you have a valid consumption target.

Correct (though you must consume it -- with a valid consumption power left over after applying other Consume powers -- if you have previously revealed it during Produce).

Quote:
Everything else should treat the alien token good as identical to an alien world good.

Including the standard Produce restrictions about a good needing to be placed on an appropriate world (in this case, an Alien technology windfall world without a good).

It is legal to reveal an Alien Good Artifact during Produce, place it on an Alien windfall world without a good, and collect a bonus draw for it from Research Labs. If you do this without a legal world to place it on, you still draw a card for it from Research Labs, but the good is then "used" and cannot be used in a later phase.

This means that players can clearly distinguish "revealed and used Alien tokens" from "revealed and unspent Alien tokens on worlds".

By extension, an Alien Good Artifact in other phases require you to either use it or place it on an Alien technology world without a good. If you are unable to do so, the good is considered "used".

EDIT: upon reflection, I think it is cleaner and more consistent to not allow Alien Good tokens to be placed on worlds as goods except during Produce.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
Don't fall in love with me yet, we only recently met
mbmbmbmbmb
Huh, I had no idea from the rulebook that Artifact Alien goods ever went into your tableau.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serge Levert
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, wow, that's... not what i expected at all! Mind blown. This raises a plethora of side-effects and rules questions for me. This subject requires its own thread.

qwertymartin wrote:
Huh, I had no idea from the rulebook that Artifact Alien goods ever went into your tableau.

Yeah. I'm right now in the middle of making a thread on this covering all the angles.

Edit: the thead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.