Turn the Tide» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Turn the Tide for 3 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Timothy Pinkham
United States
La Palma
flag msg tools
Turn the Tide requires different strategies and planning based on how many people are playing. This session was played by three players, which is the minimum. In this setup, two people always come out good each hand, one player always comes out bad. So the goal of each player is to avoid the middle number when weather cards are played. The strategy is always in guessing what your opponents will play based on the numbers showing on the two face-up tide cards.

I’ll refer to the players as 1, 2, and 3. Here was the initial distribution of life preserver (LP) tiles:

Player 1: 4 LPs
Player 2: 7 LPs
Player 3: 4 LPs

For those of you not familiar with Turn the Tide, the more LPs you have, the worse your hand is. The cards and life preservers are very balanced, which is a cool mechanic of this game.

Here are the results of the rounds in simple form. I will make note of how things looked halfway through each round (6-hand), and then what the final score was for each round (12-hand).

Round 1

Player 1: 1 LPs left. Tide = 9
Player 2: 4 LPs left. Tide = 5
Player 3: 4 LPs left. Tide = 8

Player 1: -1 points. Tide = 7
Player 2: 5 points. Tide = 1
Player 3: 2 points. Tide = 4

Round 2

Player 1: 1 LPs left. Tide = 6
Player 2: 4 LPs left. Tide = 3
Player 3: 2 LPs left. Tide = 1

Player 1: -1 points. Tide = 12
Player 2: 5 points. Tide = 5
Player 3: 1 points. Tide = 8

Round 3

This round ended after only six hands, so here are the scores for the round.

Player 1: 7 points. Tide = 2
Player 2: 3 points. Tide = 6
Player 3: -1 points. Tide = 12

Final Score

Player 1: 5
Player 2: 13
Player 3: 4

This session played out like many sessions I’ve had before. It often seems that one or two players are a good margin above the others. For instance, a couple games ago, I played two 4-player games in a row with one group. Coincidentally, two of the players tied for the win in BOTH games with high scores, while the other two of us had very low scores in both games. The same thing happened in this game, and happens quite often. I have no idea why this split occurs. Turn the Tide depends so much on luck and guesswork – I can’t imagine how a pattern could exist on any level. But so far, this score anomaly seems to be true for most sessions I’ve played in. Perhaps I just need to play more.

This was a fun session though, and Player 3 actually voted to play this game again the next time we had a game session. Even if you lose, this game is very fun to come back to for another play.

Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.