Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Johan Grimm
United States
Ithaca
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My game group and I LOVE Wiz-War (definitely the #1 go to game for us) and we've been really rocking it out recently.

I've often wondered about the possibility of making more themed Wizards without creating unfair advantages. I agree with what a lot of people have said here on the forum--that having a school or magic or two per wizard will make for serious imbalance.

But...

What about putting all of the schools out in separate decks and allowing players to pick 3 schools at the outset of the game (plus cantrips) and then on their draw phase pull cards from any school of their choice (either 2 from one school or 1 from two different schools).

Has anyone tried something like this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
swirv
msg tools
I like this idea. This would help to dig for the right spell for whatever situation you're in. I was also toying with the idea of some kind of draft before the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Garbett
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Will Provide Statistics for Data
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that would add a strategic level to the game that did not previously exist. On the surface, the idea sounds great! Now to try it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Pollock
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree, nice idea!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cobbs c
msg tools
mb
Good idea. I think the elemental damaging school would be perhaps too desirable due to the more direct power you get from it. Players will probably choose it first.

Perhaps house-ruling a way of organising the decks into different decks yourself, allowing all players to draw from them? So you'd had a utility deck, a 'placements' deck, a transformations deck, an items deck, a damage deck, and so forth. That's the idea with the different schools of magic, but they aren't really balanced, so I think you should houserule the organisation a bit, that's all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Grimm
United States
Ithaca
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I ended up divvying the decks out into categories by type (which everyone has equal access to), so we ended up with the following decks:

Attack
Counter
Neutral
Item
Creation (all spells with the Creation type)

We split the energy cards randomly between the decks before play and have had a blast playing this way! It adds just enough choice to allow for strategic decisions, without sacrificing that fun, random element.

I highly recommend it for experienced Wiz-War players!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tahsin Shamma
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AzureLion wrote:
I ended up divvying the decks out into categories by type (which everyone has equal access to), so we ended up with the following decks:

Attack
Counter
Neutral
Item
Creation (all spells with the Creation type)

We split the energy cards randomly between the decks before play and have had a blast playing this way! It adds just enough choice to allow for strategic decisions, without sacrificing that fun, random element.

I highly recommend it for experienced Wiz-War players!

I like this idea a lot. I was considering going by spell school but now I'm intrigued to try both.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tragic TheBlathering
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
so you split the cards into "types" and randomly split the energy cards among those decks. Now what.. when you draw you can just draw from any deck? What was the "choose 3 decks" you spoke about in your original post?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.