Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
32 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set» Forums » General

Subject: Grrrr....lost one of my studs rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Leonhard
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
So I'm fairly new at this. I'm playing solo through all the existing expansions (well, that's the theory, anyway). I started with Harsk and Ezren, and together they busted through Perils of the Lost Coast and began to hack and burn their way through Burnt Offerings.

We did great up thru "Trouble in Sandpoint"--which was a really fun scenario and a close call for our heroes. They won on the last card.

Then we started up to Thistletop, where I managed to mismanage my heroes, resulting in the heart-breaking death of Ezren. Harsk survived but failed the mission.

So, you veterans--what do you typically do at this point? My inclination is to start up Kyra, using basic cards, and have her join my rugged dwarf. Or should I be solo'ing a character through the first few scenarios to get them plussed up?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules as written say to make a new character with basic cards. You may run them through older scenarios to get the rewards.

Personally, I think this takes some of the fun out of playing the game and turns it into a grind. I like that there are major consequences for death, but don't like that those consequences basically amount to "lose a dozen hours of your life or play with underleveled characters who will probably die again." I've come up with 2 solutions:

Training at the Arena (for leveling up new characters in a more interesting and faster way)

Or, as described in comprehensive RotR variant: scenario tweaks, more gradual card introduction and damage type tweaks: Dead or Sleeping? If a character dies during a scenario, first banish random cards from that character's deck until it is at or below their current maximum deck size (15 plus any card feats). Then, banish 1d4+1 additional random cards. That character may rejoin the party for the next scenario, but they may not rebuild their deck at the end of this scenario, whether the party wins or loses. This means that the character is starting with a semi-random deck that is 2-5 cards smaller than normal and will need to rely on the goodwill of the party to keep from dying again. If the character survives the next scenario, they may then rebuild their deck as normal, up to the full size. This replaces the permanent death rule for people who want death to have a consequence but don't want to risk losing weeks of progress.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Leonhard
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. Good ideas all. In the event, I started playing Kyra with Harsk, and as we speak, the two of them are trudging up toward Thistletop. Kyra surprised her companion by shutting down Nettlemaze quickly, whilst the dwarf ranger was busy hacking his way thru the woods. I kind of like the idea of Harsk being burdened with having to fight with a newby. His penalty for letting the old man die.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since some people complain about the game being too easy, that's definitely an option if you're up for it. Remember that once you start Adventure 3, you get to use Basic and (I think) Elite cards to build the new hero's deck any card from at least 2 adventures behind the current one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bishop
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I write down a "save point" every time I start a new adventure (not scenario). So if I die, I basically revert to the start of the adventure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea
Italy
Milan
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cush1978 wrote:
I write down a "save point" every time I start a new adventure (not scenario). So if I die, I basically revert to the start of the adventure.

Clever strategy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Throknor
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kittenhoarder wrote:
Since some people complain about the game being too easy, that's definitely an option if you're up for it. Remember that once you start Adventure 3, you get to use Basic and (I think) Elite cards to build the new hero's deck.
Close. You no longer worry about the words, just that the number is two or more less. So anything with a 1, B, C or P on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Enden
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
andymase wrote:
Cush1978 wrote:

Clever strategy

But takes the tension out of the game, since death doesn't really matter. You never have to think, "Should we let the clock run out on this one and try again, or should we try to push through, risking a potential death." Why worry? Death is not really death at all: just go for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Warner
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
brayle wrote:
andymase wrote:
Cush1978 wrote:

Clever strategy

But takes the tension out of the game, since death doesn't really matter. You never have to think, "Should we let the clock run out on this one and try again, or should we try to push through, risking a potential death." Why worry? Death is not really death at all: just go for it.

For me, a punishment that voided out hours of playing time is a big punishment. Resetting character decks back to even the start of the scenario would be a big punishment for me. I'm squeezing in games where I can. With 3 kids, there isn't a lot of time to find to play.

So if death means I just wasted the past hour of my time because my character is no different than he was an hour ago, to me that is a huge punishment. That, for me personally, is enough to make me unwilling to risk death.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Van Biesbrouck
Canada
St Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Throknor wrote:
kittenhoarder wrote:
Since some people complain about the game being too easy, that's definitely an option if you're up for it. Remember that once you start Adventure 3, you get to use Basic and (I think) Elite cards to build the new hero's deck.
Close. You no longer worry about the words, just that the number is two or more less. So anything with a 1, B, C or P on it.

No cigar --

The Rules wrote:
If your party has begun the adventure The Hook Mountain Massacre, you may ignore the Basic trait restriction; instead, you may use any cards in the box from the base set and the Character Add-On Deck, as well as any cards from an adventure deck whose adventure deck number is at least 2 lower than that of the adventure you’re currently playing.

Being able to pick promo cards would be quite advantageous.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties, it means that it's going to launch you into something great.
badge
This. This is what I am. This is who I am. Come hell or high water. If I deny it, I deny everything I've ever done... Everything I've ever fought for.
mbmbmbmbmb
Two words: Viking Funeral. Then its not that uncommon to find someone in a dungeon to join your adventures. Though that someone might not be strong enough to keep up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Kelly
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Robert Leonhard wrote:

So, you veterans--what do you typically do at this point?

We lost 2 characters who had been with us since "Perils of the Coast" when we were finishing the penultimate "Hook Mountain" scenario. We just started new characters for the "final" battle. Cowboy up!
TK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Conroy
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think what Paizo should do is bring out an 'underworld' pack, with scenarios your surviving colleagues can play through to bring dead characters back to life.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In a 6 player campaign, I lost Ezren early in Burnt Offerings. I retired him, and as the owner of the game, it was convenient to solo Sajan through each scenario to have him catch up to the rest of the group.

(Also, Sajan's ability makes him a boss as a solo character, at least in early scenarios; ditto for Merisiel)

If/when we lose a character during Skinsaw Murders, it might not be as fun or convenient to have a new character sprint through so many scenarios solo. In that case, it might be better to wait for Hook Mountain Massacre and build a new character using its rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea
Italy
Milan
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think some people are taking this game a bit too seriously.
Anyone cutting his leg with an Xacto knife when his character get wounded?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Leonhard
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Great discussion, guys. Thanks.

I'm kind of on the odd-ball end of the spectrum with games like this. Once a character has died, he's...well...dead to me. I retire him and start over, despite the disadvantages. For me that standard enhances the dangers and risks.

As Maupassant said:

“You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who have fought for it, life has a flavor the protected shall never know.”
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Enden
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
andymase wrote:
I think some people are taking this game a bit too seriously.
Anyone cutting his leg with an Xacto knife when his character get wounded?

A lot depends, I think, on what you think "this game" is. For some people, "playing a game of PACG" means "playing through a scenario." For others, "playing a game of PACG" means "playing through an adventure." And for really obsessive people (like me), "playing a game of PACG" means "playing through the adventure path (plus the prologue)."

So, for me, bringing a character back to life and repeating a scenario is cheating because it is breaking an important rule right in the middle of a game. For those who think a game is just a scenario (or an adventure), then brining a character back and restarting the scenario (or adventure) is just playing a new game altogether, and so it probably will not really seem like cheating to them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dillon Flaherty
United States
Severna Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
brayle wrote:

A lot depends, I think, on what you think "this game" is. For some people, "playing a game of PACG" means "playing through a scenario." For others, "playing a game of PACG" means "playing through an adventure." And for really obsessive people (like me), "playing a game of PACG" means "playing through the adventure path (plus the prologue)."

So, for me, bringing a character back to life and repeating a scenario is cheating because it is breaking an important rule right in the middle of a game. For those who think a game is just a scenario (or an adventure), then brining a character back and restarting the scenario (or adventure) is just playing a new game altogether, and so it probably will not really seem like cheating to them.

I agree with you on this - a lot has been made about the difficulty of the individual scenarios not being too high, and there have been a few times where it seems like this.

However, playing it on the scale of a whole adventure path makes the consequences for death very high - even if on a scenario-to-scenario basis it is not so bad. I enjoy that!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cracky McCracken
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It kills when players say this game is too easy.

It's easy until you lose I guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Leonhard
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Concur. I am finding the game quite exciting and just the right level of difficulty using two solo with death being permanent.

Had to replace Ezren with newby Kyra, but she kicked butt heading up to Thistletop, singlehandedly closing the Nettlemaze and the Tunnel. Then she had to race over to the Woods and rescue Harsk from the feminine wiles of the Farmer's Daughter. Pretty funny.

Now I have them both set up for the assault on Thistletop and wondering whether they will survive. Very tight feel to the campaign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea
Italy
Milan
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really can't understand what is the point of death being permanent. When you characters die do you rip their cards and throw them in the trash?
And what if all of your characters die?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Leonhard
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
No, I just mean that the character loses all his/her feat bonuses, and I discard the character deck and draw a new character. It gives the feeling that the character has everything to lose if they get killed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al Ross
United States
Charlotte
NC
flag msg tools
badge
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
mbmbmbmbmb
The value of this game to some people is to play a RPG when there's no gamemaster available or willing to play. Within a RPG, when a character dies, the party and the character suffer consequences; players wanting to use a RPG model for gameplay in this game are attempting to use that same structure for a character death, and are looking for how others create a playable solution.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea
Italy
Milan
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Robert Leonhard wrote:
No, I just mean that the character loses all his/her feat bonuses, and I discard the character deck and draw a new character. It gives the feeling that the character has everything to lose if they get killed.

But can you use that same "dead" character in a later scenario/game or not?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
I design custom dividers, playmats, and cards for various BGG users.
badge
Check my profile page for links to all my posted projects!
mbmbmbmbmb
Cush1978 wrote:

I like that. Thanks for that tip.

Oh and mb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.