Popular Tags: [View All]
David Hoffman
United States
Cortlandt Manor
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I learned Quantum yesterday and taught it to my group today. We played a four-player game and then immediately -- they demanded it -- played another four-player game (this time with the Void tile available from the BGG store).

My gaming group never, ever demands a second play of a game in the same night.

They did tonight. With Quantum.

Now, some complain Quantum is too random. They are wrong. Quantum's randomness is managed. It's on you. You choose to put yourself at the mercy of the dice -- or not.

Some complain that actions in a turn are limited. That's to say, your choices are limited by your dice. This is true. Limited, however, does not mean hamstrung. Planning is essential in this game. Creativity is rewarded. A good player will examine their "limitations" and find a good way to turn them to their advantage.

Rules? We had a couple questions at the start of the game. The rulebook was laid out well and answers were easy to find. We did not lose time puzzling over the nuances of our actions. Learning the game, any answers I needed were right there on the page.

The cards add exciting options to the game. Changes to combat. Changes to movement. The ability to gain extra ships, to eliminate the cost of deploying ships to the board, to move another player's cube thus cutting off their supply lines.

Components? The dice have issues. Ho hum. The rest of the stuff in the box? Top-flight. Tiles are thick. Player boards are thick. No warping of any kind. The cards are tough, the artwork beautiful.

Is this a great game? Yes. Are the dice kind of crappy? Sure. Did I send an email this afternoon requesting replacement dice; and did I receive a reply in less than four hours? Yes, yes I did.

Should you check out this game? Yes.

We played twice, with setup, rules explanation, questions, and breakdown, in under two hours.

And we're going to play again soon.

Don't deprive yourself of this game just because the dice are not the best. This is a great damned game, and one I can't wait to play again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing I've learned about the custom dice in games - if majority of boxes have some dice problems, it's very likely, that replacements will have the same flaws :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arturo Cavari
Italy
Bolonga
FI
flag msg tools
Maybe on earth...
badge
...maybe in the future
mbmbmbmbmb
Waht was the problem with the dice? Did they agree to replace them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hoffman
United States
Cortlandt Manor
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thegrinder wrote:
Waht was the problem with the dice? Did they agree to replace them?

Check out this thread for more information. Basically, some dice are misformed and/or pips are not painted well. It's frustrating, but not worth missing out on such an engaging game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arturo Cavari
Italy
Bolonga
FI
flag msg tools
Maybe on earth...
badge
...maybe in the future
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep I'm definetly going to buy this one, but i'll wait for the prices to lower (here in europe it's going for 50€, which is a little too much in my opinion).

Thanks

Ps: great review

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philippe Nouhra
France
Paris
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
thegrinder wrote:
Yep I'm definetly going to buy this one, but i'll wait for the prices to lower (here in europe it's going for 50€, which is a little too much in my opinion).

It is not. In Europe the MSRP is 44,9€. :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Boyce
United Kingdom
Derby
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Funforge wrote:
thegrinder wrote:

Thanks

It is not. In Europe the MSRP is 44,9€.

Still a bit on the high side.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arturo Cavari
Italy
Bolonga
FI
flag msg tools
Maybe on earth...
badge
...maybe in the future
mbmbmbmbmb
lordsplodge wrote:
Still a bit on the high side.

It's worth it though, even if it is a little expensive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralf Brechtel
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
Seems cheaper in Germany.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.