So
Nate Sandall
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
suggested Concordia. It's a game new to me, but he thought I'd like it. And I did!

We played three players and used the Italy side of the board.

I went first and experimented with buying two cards right away by using the Senator. I think, now in hindsight, that it was a bad starting move. You really should start with the Architect and build right away. And get your guy/ship moving towards the other provinces. Amazingly though, I came in second despite my flawed first move. Granted, the other player was also new and I managed to foil his plans by ending the game before he could get more cards.

I like how it's a deck building game, but you can use the cards you buy immediately. So you don't have to wait until after you pick up your discards. The cards are simple to use, but given that they also add to your score there are quite a few factors to consider. This aspect of the game could lead to a lot of AP, especially with certain types of players.

The Prefect card is a cool way to get needed resources if you are stuck (as I was in regards to wheat). I really like how it also encourages players to reset the province tokens with the promise of coinage. In our game, when the coin total reached 6 or 7, someone would reset the province tiles.

I managed to get all five resources eventually. But that took a while as there are only three Cloth cities available. It's really pricy to enter a city after it's already been built up so you should immediately head to a cloth city and build. The winner of the game (owner as well and who had played several games before) got to Sicily and built on two of the three cities right away. He would then activate the production with the Prefect card on that province as often as possible. He'd generate a ton of cloth and sell it and then use the money to buy what he needed.

The movement limits also help to make the game very tight. Despite my odd start, I was able to head south (toward the heel of the "boot") and grab a bunch of brick cities. Fortunately the other players went in the other direction. The third guy used his ship exclusively until the end game.

I found the warehouse limit an important aspect to track as well. Managed to use my Prefect well in a couple of instances where the other player (who would have benefited) had no room to get all of the free resources my Prefect play generated. Timing is key for some card plays.

Additionally, there are times when I could see that playing a Diplomat would block another player's plan by not giving them anything to copy (at least in your card pile).

The production value is quite high. The pieces/tokens are very nice - sturdy and colorful. I think that the cards are a bit too busy and can be hard to read at first. But once you get used to them and know what to look for on the card, it's not that distracting.

Concordia is a tight game in terms of the mechanics. There are many things you want to do, but you have to plan them out and do them one step (one turn) at a time. The Super Prefect card is a nice touch as well. And yet another thing to watch in regards to timing. But an excellent way to get more of a much needed resource in the early stages of the game.

The winner crushed us and was ahead by about 40 points. I came in second with one lap on the score track and about 15 points. Third place was about 10 points behind me.

Quite a fun game and I would love to try it again. I think it would be very different with more players. I suspect that a two player game would be far less interactive in competition for resources, but that may not be a bad thing. There are a lot of things to track, but it's all rather elegant and easy to grasp.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
famille auzias
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cool
when you know the game, it's as good with 5, 4, 3 or 2 players
I played several time and it's interactive in all configurations

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.