Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Filip Cam
Belgium
Kontich
Antwerp
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just for fun I made a geeklist of well known games by Belgian designers. In the case of the GIPF series, I only found out just recently that they were all designed by a Belgian!

Notable games by Belgian designers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BibKamp318
Belgium
Beerse [near Turnhout]
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice, but the list is not complete: see Comment in original GL
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benoît Delcorps
Belgium
Bruxelles
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Think you forgot Bruxelles 1893 by Etienne Espreman.

Quite recent but the first print run has sold out and it is reprinted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filip Cam
Belgium
Kontich
Antwerp
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Luc: that game is not notable in my opinion. I'd never heard of it, it's outside of the top 1000, and it has a low average rating.

Benoit: I wanted to add that but wasn't sure that Etienne Espreman is a Belgian. Are you sure?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Verbeeck
Belgium
Mol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.rtbf.be/info/societe/detail_la-belgique-brille-au...

Hangt van de wever af hoe lang belgie nog bestaat... maar is een belg
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filip Cam
Belgium
Kontich
Antwerp
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thx Kris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benoît Delcorps
Belgium
Bruxelles
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
krommenaas wrote:
Benoit: I wanted to add that but wasn't sure that Etienne Espreman is a Belgian. Are you sure?

Yup !

CF http://www.rtbf.be/info/societe/detail_la-belgique-brille-au...

"L'auteur Etienne Espreman est belge lui-aussi, et se retrouve pour la première fois de l'autre côté du comptoir. Son premier jeu démarre plutôt bien."

The whole article is worth the read as the subject is the same as the one you want to adress with your geeklist

Edit :OOPS, hadn't seen this had allready been answered (with the same link) hereabove...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benoît Delcorps
Belgium
Bruxelles
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KrisVerbeeck wrote:

Don't want to start a Troll, but imho, this isn't in the hands of Mr De Wever, but instead in the hands of the Belgians who will or won't vote for his party and it's separatist program next june...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Boyen
Belgium
Leuven
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
krommenaas wrote:
Luc: that game is not notable in my opinion. I'd never heard of it, it's outside of the top 1000, and it has a low average rating.

For me, the list would be more interesting if you left out the notable criteria. I'd love to have a list of Belgian games, and decide myself what is good and what not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filip Cam
Belgium
Kontich
Antwerp
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kris: not good, notable. I don't think all these games are good

A complete list would be very long I think; there are tens of thousands of obscure games in BGG's database and a % or so of them are probably made by Belgians.

By all means go ahead and make such a list! I'm leaving it at this myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filip Cam
Belgium
Kontich
Antwerp
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Benwa wrote:
KrisVerbeeck wrote:

Don't want to start a Troll, but imho, this isn't in the hands of Mr De Wever, but instead in the hands of the Belgians who will or won't vote for his party and it's separatist program next june...

And, in turn, how many people vote for Mr. De Wever is in the hands of how french-speaking politicians treat Flemish requests for more regional autonomy If Belgium could be organised more like Switzerland, Mr. De Wever would get very few votes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bionicman
Belgium
Gent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game Warlock is from the Belgian designer Fabrice Vandenbogaerde, also known for his website Spellenclub 13.

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/146943/warlock

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're going for notable you might want to include the only Dutch language RPG series ever published : Schimmen en Schaduwen - designed by a bunch of guys from Leuven. That game was pretty well-known back in the days in RPG circles and a retrospective look-back can be found here :

http://25jaarschimmenenschaduwen.blogspot.be/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robby Timmermans
Belgium
Wellen
flag msg tools
badge
-- -- parkibricks -- --
mbmbmbmbmb
eddy_sterckx wrote:
If you're going for notable you might want to include the only Dutch language RPG series ever published : Schimmen en Schaduwen - designed by a bunch of guys from Leuven. That game was pretty well-known back in the days in RPG circles and a retrospective look-back can be found here :

http://25jaarschimmenenschaduwen.blogspot.be/

I still have those rule books lying around
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre-Gilles Pecquereau
Belgium
Brussels
Jette
flag msg tools
Daddy & Boardgamer in Brussels - Belgium
badge
Founder of Boardgame Monkeys
mbmbmbmbmb
what is "notable" for somebody - won't be for somebody else ! I would say either you put all or none, else it's just your selection on what you think is worth it.

The concept of "well-known" is very subjective - think just about the difference between Flanders & Brussels & Wallonia -> will you consider it a well-known game if it's only known & played in the French community (because maybe it was only published in French) ? or the other way around, for example games that are only published in Dutch ?

Similar, what about the games that are published & played online - by belgian authors. I give you an example with Time Masters : demoed and published in French this year, with more than 4000 sessions in the last 3 months on Boardgame Arena ... not sure many people here heard about it - but it's being played in clubs in France and Brussels. Author is Belgian, same as the illustrator. Just that it is (not yet) available in English (although we discovered some people already translated it in Russian !!).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
pecquereau wrote:
what is "notable" for somebody - won't be for somebody else ! I would say either you put all or none, else it's just your selection on what you think is worth it.

It's clearly stated in the OP that this is "just for fun", not an exhaustively researched doctoral dissertation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filip Cam
Belgium
Kontich
Antwerp
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With well-known I meant internationally, among boardgamers everywhere in the world. The idea was to have a list full of games that a non-Belgian would know. A bunch of obscure games would just dilute the effect.

I could have just taken top 1000 games, that would be a clear criterion. But the three other games I've listed are so well-known internationally (they're often mentioned on the American podcasts I listen to, for example, and were big releases in Essen) that it would be silly not to mention them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willi Van Bogaert
Belgium
Gent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are going for "well-kown" over "well-received", and you want to use a clearly defined and objective criterion, why not look at the number of ratings? I would suggest 500 ratings as a fair threshold.
But to keep all the current games on the list, you would need to put it at 300 ratings (which does mean a handful of other games would make the cut as well).

I am just throwing it out there as a suggestion. In the end, it is your list and you make the final call.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.