17 Posts

Hobbit Tales from the Green Dragon Inn» Forums » General

Subject: What is happening? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
The Orientalist
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I thought this one was one of the most expected games for the first quarter of 2014. Or at least a game found on the radar of many of us.

It seems not.

The internet is silent as a fish on this game.

What is happening?

No one is playing it? No review, not even a short "batrep" or session? First thoughts? Nothing at all?

I've received my copy a week ago, read the rules in 15 minutes and already played a small game with my kid. We had quite a blast, but I think the game will be more at home with roleplaying people rather than boardgamers.

It is not quite a ... game but rather an excuse in telling stories based on the illustrations found on the cards.

It is a cute storytelling game (its success heavily depending on the imagination on the players), but for those looking for a tactical game, this is not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael S
United States
Boulder
Colorado
flag msg tools
"In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit..."
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I picked it up the day it came out. Its a lot of fun. Super simple with quick set up. I like that they included the little board. Im not sure why this isnt generating more of a buzz.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
Would love to help spread the word, but not available in Malta

Really excited about this game though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael S
United States
Boulder
Colorado
flag msg tools
"In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit..."
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rahdo wrote:
Would love to help spread the word, but not available in Malta

Really excited about this game though!

I hope it becomes available over there

I know this would be a long shot but it would be GREAT to see a run through of this with you AND Jen. I know she is usually pretty camera shy. This game isn't super difficult rules wise so it doesn't really "need" a run through I suppose but it would still be a blast to see the story telling aspect coming from you guys.

One of the parts that I love about this is you are essentially playing "against" one another but its all just good fun. I throw a wrench into your story and then you weave your way out of it and some of the outcomes are really funny.

Also its very different from each time you play sometimes its a funny back and forth or sometimes you may want to tell a serious story. It allows for both.

I hope this catches on and we start to see some gameplay videos get spread around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
reckoner wrote:
I know this would be a long shot but it would be GREAT to see a run through of this with you AND Jen. I know she is usually pretty camera shy. This game isn't super difficult rules wise so it doesn't really "need" a run through I suppose but it would still be a blast to see the story telling aspect coming from you guys.

Yeah, if I had a copy and were to do a runthrough, I think this would be one where Jen definitely has to appear on camera, because the whole point of the game is that communal creativity and interaction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Orientalist
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I would love a Rahdo review / session. Please, just no more unboxing. There are a couple of Hobbit Tales unboxings on the Net but people need to see how the game plays rather than just see some tokens and cards.

With the right players, Hobbit Tales can be a splendid thing. Tolkienites will have a blast of course (I am a Tolkien lover myself).

But with players who are not into storytelling, hmm, avoid like plague I say.

Personally I love this little game and I will rate it as high as possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francesco Nepitello
Italy
Venezia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Orientalist wrote:

I've received my copy a week ago, read the rules in 15 minutes and already played a small game with my kid. We had quite a blast, but I think the game will be more at home with roleplaying people rather than boardgamers.

I think this is also the reason why there is for the moment this lack of comments. It seems to me that boardgame enthusiasts are keener to share their experiences online, more than role-players, or at least it seems so, also comparing rpggeek and boardgamegeek.

Francesco
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Homo Ludens
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I suspect it my suffer because people assume it is an expansion for The One Ring RPG rather than a great story telling game in its own right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Orientalist
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Well, it is funny but to me The One Ring, the RPG, is unplayable. Extremely complicated and very difficult to understand all the rules (I've bought all the books from Cubicle 7 anyway, because I love the theme, the design and so on).

When I've heard about Hobbit Tales from the Green Dragon Inn I immediately knew I am in for good.

I can now finally play The One Ring the RPG in a more direct and less heavy rules way ) How? By Playing Hobbit Tales!

Had another two hours session yesterday, with three players. Some amazing and odd as hell tales have been told, everyone at the table was enjoying himself, overall, a great success.

I am loving this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim thorson
United States
Chaska
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My FLGS just got it in so I picked it up today.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Boat
United States
Ankeny
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also just nabbed a copy today. Wasn't even on my radar until I spotted it at my local store. I'm a bit wary of my purchase, however, since the game sounds very similar to Aye, Dark Overlord! The Red Box, which did not go over well with my game group...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've picked it up, played it, and enjoy it. It is certainly far more rigid and simple than [geekurl=http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/1234/once-upon-a-time-the-storytelling-card-game]Once Upon a Time[/geekurl]and therefore lends itself to a more timid or younger player.

The board is nice, the cards and art are fantastic, the scoring is a bit random and fiddly, a game this simple shouldn't need a player aid, but it does. I think it is a great buy, the coasters are great, I just need to affix them to cork and lacquer them somehow. "Buying Rounds" without really drinking beer is a ridiculous tease! This game can certainly be a gateway into the beefier, more competitive world of [geekurl=http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/1234/once-upon-a-time-the-storytelling-card-game]Once Upon a Time.Once Upon a Time[/geekurl]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Squatting Monkey (if that is your real name) how would you compare this against OUaT for 2 players (which is the only way I would ever get to play, with my wife)?

also, change those [geekurl=] to simply [url=] and your links will work

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Harrison
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Orientalist wrote:
Well, it is funny but to me The One Ring, the RPG, is unplayable. Extremely complicated and very difficult to understand all the rules (I've bought all the books from Cubicle 7 anyway, because I love the theme, the design and so on).

An unrelated point: I think the One Ring is a very playable RPG - and have been in a Play by Post campaign of it since November - and it's truly excellent! Actually getting to play with people makes it a lot less complicated than it may seem! Oh, and I agree the books are gorgeous quality.

If you want to play and are struggling have a look at the Cubicle 7 forums; there have been a few threads to help people who are confused about the system! Clearly there must be something in how it is written which is confusing to people - or these threads wouldn't turn up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patching
United Kingdom
Newport, Wales
flag msg tools
badge
If you notice this notice you wil notice that this notice was not worth noticing
mbmbmbmbmb
James Harrison wrote:
Orientalist wrote:

An unrelated point: I think the One Ring is a very playable RPG - and have been in a Play by Post campaign of it since November - and it's truly excellent! Actually getting to play with people makes it a lot less complicated than it may seem! Oh, and I agree the books are gorgeous quality.

If you want to play and are struggling have a look at the Cubicle 7 forums; there have been a few threads to help people who are confused about the system! Clearly there must be something in how it is written which is confusing to people - or these threads wouldn't turn up!

I agree, it's a great RPG and not actually that complicated. Granted though, the layout of the rulebooks make it seem a heck of a lot more complicated than it actually is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek A. K.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
(1) I just found out about this game and am threatening my FLGS to order it.

(2) I've had my eye on The One Ring for a minute but I am anything but plugged in to the local RPG scene. Glad to hear some kudos for it: might just push me off the edge and try to get some friends to try it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Holzhauer
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
Building the perfect game collection for our growing family
badge
Who knew Euro games could be thematic?
mbmbmbmbmb
I had been interested in a the One Ring RPG for awhile, and so we just picked this up today as an appetizer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.