Portland
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
oh hai
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay Geeks:

NATIONS vs. SHIPYARD

(I'm not going to offer my usual list of particularities and caveats this time, I'll just let y'all duke it out. However, ease of access -- meaning accessibility of the rules, playtime, smoothness of turns, forgiveness with mistakes -- is of particular note to me.)

Thanks!

-Aidan

Edit: Happy snow day if, like myself, you're in an area of the States that's in the midst of receiving a foot of snow!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Executive Bear
United States
Montana
flag msg tools
Wildcard, bitches! Yee-haw!
badge
I'm gonna start dropping F-bombs. Listen to this: Fart you, fart head.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've not played either but I am intrigued by Nations. They both look good though!

Rahdo has done a run through for both:

Shipyard - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Caqw41iwig

Nations - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJT-nwiZwG8

Edit: I am not in a state that is in the midst of a snow day, actually I don't believe we get snow days. However I am in the midst of a "damn I wish it wasn't -35 with the wind chill day"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aidan Mirisola-Sullivan
United States
Portland
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
oh hai
mbmbmbmbmb
Josh:

I've seen both of Rahdo's runthroughs, and that's essentially what led to me posting here. He was awfully excited about both. I've also read both rulebooks and read some reviews. Still in a lurch!

And yeah, that's the nice thing about snow -- even though it's coming down hard, it's a balmy 15 (with wind chill).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
My job is not the day shift or the night shift, it's the always shift!
badge
I will chop your head off!
mbmbmbmbmb
Nations wins by a mile, IMO.

Shipyard was the second game I played from this particular designer (Last Will being the first), and maybe I'm in the minority, but his games feel very dry. The theme doesn't shine through at all. I really think you need a creative game group to role play in order to get Last Will's humor to shine through. Shipyard doesn't really have any humor. It's a rondel game that has rondels for the sake of having rondels. Some of the actions are noticeably better than others, and even taking the catch-up mechanics into consideration, certain moves just aren't that good to do. I just wasn't impressed with the game at all. It has a cool look to it, but other than that it was very dry and boring.

Nations is one of the best Civ/economic games I've played. It can be very brutal though, so easing yourself into the deep pool is vital. The military track can also seem a tad overpowering at times, especially if an opponent invests heavily into it, but there are ways to mitigate it and win. Re-reading your original post, however, this game does tend to have more problems with your original criteria. It's a bit longer than Shipyard, the rules aren't as clear, and the game can be very unforgiving when you ramp up the difficulty. I still think it's a simpler rule set than Shipyard, and the time just flies by while you play. I personally think Nations is the clearly better game, but I know some people prefer Shipyard, for whatever reason.

EDIT: Rahdo also made me get both of these games Don't understand his love for Last Will and Shipyard though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aidan Mirisola-Sullivan
United States
Portland
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
oh hai
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the feedback, Michael.

Oddly, the theme of Shipyard is one of its most alluring components, but it's a shame that it still seems dry, even with the building and testing of ships. (It *seems* like it would be really satisfying!) I don't really have an opinion on the rondel thing, as Finca is the only other rondel-based game I've played, and that couldn't be more different.

Whichever one I go with, it will easily be the heaviest game introduced to my largely non-gamer friends.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
a stranger here
United States
Chapel Hill
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Shipyard.

While Nations is a great Civ game, I would just prefer play Civ or Through the Ages.

I, like the OP, prefer the actual construction and testing of ships in Shipyard. I feel that in terms of theme, it is a bit like Fleet - it seems dry, but is a great deal more interesting than it appears.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Executive Bear
United States
Montana
flag msg tools
Wildcard, bitches! Yee-haw!
badge
I'm gonna start dropping F-bombs. Listen to this: Fart you, fart head.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry I wasn't helpful...at all, lol.

For what it's worth if I was making the choice between the two it would be Nations. I think I and the people I play with would enjoy it more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
My job is not the day shift or the night shift, it's the always shift!
badge
I will chop your head off!
mbmbmbmbmb
mammothbaby wrote:
Thanks for the feedback, Michael.

Oddly, the theme of Shipyard is one of its most alluring components, but it's a shame that it still seems dry, even with the building and testing of ships. (It *seems* like it would be really satisfying!) I don't really have an opinion on the rondel thing, as Finca is the only other rondel-based game I've played, and that couldn't be more different.

Whichever one I go with, it will easily be the heaviest game introduced to my largely non-gamer friends.

Yeah, unfortunately the theme feels really pasted on. I think if there had been some kind of currency in Shipyard it would have felt more organic. As it is, actions get you things...not giving up some form of money or materials. That didn't make much sense to me.

Not sure what aspect of Shipyard's theme appeals to you, but another game about shipping goods that uses a rondel that I really enjoy is Macao. Fleet is also supposed to be really good.

Best of luck in your decision!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.