Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Dusoe
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a review and session report combined, so it is going to go into the General forum...

My wife, Melissa, and I played a game of Lagoon last night. I will not explain all of the rules here, but you can see them for yourself on the PnP at https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1619383091/lagoon-land-...

What. A. Game.

We printed out the tiles, and taped them together along the folds as described in the instructions. We printed the druid tokens on wooden discs, although the bits were a bit too large for the stickers. Then, we had some wooden tear drops that we colored with permanent marker for the seed tokens. Given more time, we will definitely improve our PnP tiles and druid tokens (we really like the seed tokens), but we wanted to just get playing, so...

My wife doesn't play Magic or Sentinels of the Multiverse, or any game where the concept of "card text combos" comes into play. As such, there was a little bit of a learning curve. But she is brave, so we gave it a shot. We set up the initial 3 tiles as suggested in the rules, and off we went.

At first, the game seemed a bit overwhelming. After only a couple of turns, there were already a lot of possible strategies starting to form, and it was unclear how to proceed. Melissa was unraveling a lot of yellow sites, so it was pretty clear that in order to beat her, I had to make yellow become the destiny magic. So I started trying to take reds, but then by leaving the blues, she was able to keep taking the yellows away!

But that is where the game really shines. The fluidity that comes from the RockPaperScissors relationship creates a real struggle as you progress. For each color, one other color defends and one attacks. But, manipulating the quantities of one can change the roles of all 3, thereby destroying any strategy that you might have had.

Then, there are the abilities. Blue generally moves and explore sites, Yellow refreshes druids, and Red moves druids around. Refreshing and reusing druid actions can come in quite handy. But, if you are having yellow unraveled all the time, either by you or your opponent, you better find a plan B. Again, beautiful transitions from tactic to tactic.

Any game that comes down to the wire (last pull of a tile or card, last roll of a die, whatever) is a successful game in my book. This is what happened. Melissa had all yellow sites in front of her, and I had a mix of red and blue. I knew the only way for me to win was to make yellow become the destiny. On the board, there were 4 reds, 3 yellows, and 1 blue. One tile was left in the bag. Keep in mind that unraveled tiles that you have collected over the game will only score you points if they are not of the same color as the destiny color. With that in mind, I explored, and the tile I drew had a yellow face! Playing the yellow side up, there was now a tie between red and yellow, and since yellow beats red in the circle of power, none of her tiles counted as points in the final scoring! What an epic finish!

We are definitely going to get our crafty-geek on, and create a version that will keep this on our table until the kickstarted project ships. Once that is done, I will post pictures.

Please help the project grow to stretch goals unknown! I can't wait to see what Mr. Chott has up his sleeve!

Mike.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartosz Rzepka
Poland
Gdynia -> Poznań
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Great review/session report!

One thing:
mdusoe wrote:
there was now a tie between red and yellow, and since red beats yellow in the circle of power, none of her tiles counted

I think it should be like:

there was now a tie between red and yellow, and since yellow beats red in the circle of power, yellow won and none of her tiles counted (as you get points for winning collected energy and loosing destroyed tiles)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dusoe
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the tips. Updated!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Chott
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First off, Michael, I really appreciate you taking the time to make your own PNP copy of Lagoon! That's awesome you and your wife enjoyed your experience with the game. Sounds like you were a pretty quick study on the subtleties of the RPS power dynamic!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
danny stoll
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a lot for this review of the PNP version of this game.

I've been on the fence about backing this game, predominantly because I have absolutely no experience with Kickstarter.
I've downloaded the PNP stuff myself today and I hope to be assembling tonight and playing tomorrow.

Sjtollie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.