Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I generally play my iOS games on an Ipad, but have been out and about with only the phone of late. What are the best games for an avid board gamer, that work best or equally well on an iPhone?

They don't have to be board game direct conversions, merely games a board gamer would like.

Some games that work well on iPad etc, don't work well on the smaller phone screen, so please only recommend games you know work well on the iPhone.

Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Chell
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ascension: Deckbuilding Game Is good.
Ticket to Ride
Elder Sign

All available for i-phone. So is Settlers of catan but to be honest that ap isnt worthit at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Spak

Cambridge
Massachusetts
msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stone Age, Ticket to Ride, and Ascension are probably the games on my phone that get the most use. Carcasonne is also an excellent app, though relatively expensive. I tend to like playing lighter games on my phone, because I'm usually playing them for shorter bits of time, while leaving the heavier and longer games for the iPad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin S-D
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Prefacing these suggestions with a (perhaps unnecessary) caveat: if you don't like the board game these are based on, you probably won't like the iPhone version.

That said, here you go:

Elder Sign: Omens
In apparent contradiction to the above warning, many people find the iOS version of this much better than the cardboard version.

Game info is very well organized here and gameplay is smooth and intuitive. I've not found the size of the iPhone screen to hamper playability.

If playing multiple characters solo, the game keeps track of individual character info and current gameplay conditions for you, and it even lets you know when you have a possible move in the "cards" in your hand.

Elder Sign: Omens offer in-app purchases, though you might want to check out reviews of each before purchasing. Personally, I enjoy the Call of Cthulhu expansion, but not the Trail of Ithaqua. Haven't tried the Dark Pharoah expansion.

Hey, That's My Fish!
Another very well done translation from cardboard to digital. Many, many people appreciate the relative ease of set-up comparing the iOS version to the cardboard and plastic one. My 5-year-old daughter loves the animations that have been added when a penguin gets stranded.

Neuroshima Hex!
Turned out not be my sort of game, though seeing that you have some BattleTech in your collection, it might click for you. I found it difficult to learn from the tutorial, but that might just have been because of my lack of focus. This does seem to be a pretty good version of the game, once you master a few interaction quirks.

Ticket to Ride Pocket
Sadly, it doesn't appear that this is available for iPhone any more, just for iPad. It was is a really, really well done translation for iPhone.

Edited to correct availability of Ticket to Ride for iPhone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cheers so far. I've played most of those on the iPad and they are great games. It's interesting to hear some of them play ok on the iPhone, so I'm going to load them up.

@TheForgottenTaxi.. Yep I prefer the lighter end of games on the phone, as they are usually played while waiting to do something (Attend a meeting, lunch break etc). Anything heavier will usually be played on the iPad in any event.

@kerningkev. I've had Neuroshima Hex recommended for the iPad as well, so I guess I'm going to have to check that out... I love Battletech.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Morton
Sweden
Vällingby
Stockholm
flag msg tools
LetterPress - outstanding word game

Dead Man's Draw - simple addictive card game

Tichu - the AI is not advanced and the developer doesn't appear to be supporting the app anymore (it hasn't been updated to ios7), but it's such a great game the app is still worth getting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Matthews
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Look for a game you already like and check reviews to make sure the implementation is decent. Or look for boardgames that you want to try; iOS is a decent way to try out games relatively cheaper.

Carcassone is still one of the best implementations, but you'd have to like Carcassone in order to appreciate it, for example.

Another factor is if you can play others, or want to. Elder Sign is better on iOS than the cardboard, but it's essentially a solo game for most (though you can play with others with it). Meanwhile games like Summoner Wars and Lords of Waterdeep seem to have a pretty vibrant community online.

And of course there are a myriad MtG clones on the iOS market.

And some games are better or only available on the iPad, so you'll have to keep that in mind.

Finally keep your eyes open for pricing structures that want you to keep paying to play. Dead mans draw, mentioned earlier, charges you for the base game and for "bonuses" in game. While most board game implementations only charge for the game and for expansions, not for finite resources. Most of the mtg style games will charge for randomized booster style packs so can also end up being pretty expensive if you are prone to impulse buying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Morton
Sweden
Vällingby
Stockholm
flag msg tools
And also look out to be sure the info you're getting is accurate. For example...

Ganybyte wrote:
Finally keep your eyes open for pricing structures that want you to keep paying to play. Dead mans draw, mentioned earlier, charges you for the base game and for "bonuses" in game.

I don't know if Dead Man's Draw was a paid app in the past, but currently it is a free app and you can play the game as much as you like without spending a dime.

You earn "coins" as you play, and if you want to acquire coins quickly you can also get them via in-app purchase. The coins are spent on special abilities for the cards you play - i.e. variants on the basic game. I've been playing the game literally every day for the last month. I spent $1 not because I "needed" more coins, but because I like to support the apps I use.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Bodah
United States
Cambridge
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ascension fell flat for me on the Iphone (much better on ipad because you can actually read the cards)

Agricola is great. Battle for hill 218 is a lot of fun too. San Juan is pretty good. Tichu is amazing. Some of the Chess apps are really slick too

I'm not sure if Wits and Wagers is an iphone app but that's a cool game on ipad. Same with You Don't Know Jack and Quiz Up.

Also +1 Letterpress

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin W
Germany
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
Sprechen Sie Talk?
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry to hijack the thread a little but what games would people recommend I play over iOs with the wife I have ipod she has ipad is that possible?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
wi1ky wrote:
Sorry to hijack the thread a little but what games would people recommend I play over iOs with the wife I have ipod she has ipad is that possible?

I believe so, as long as the game is listed as Universal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wi1ky wrote:

Yes it is. The reason I asked the questions is that a few games have separate Ipad vs Ipod/iphone apps and some of the games don't translate well. As in they work awesomely on the larger Ipad screens, but suffer on the smaller iphone/ipod screens.

As Moe said above, if it's universal the one app works on both. In saying that, I've loaded up some of my universal apps on both devices and generally whilst always great on iPad, suck on the iPhone because the screen size is too small.

The app description will tell you what it's compatible with. However just because it's compatible doesn't mean it's a great experience, hence why I asked the question.

Thanks so far for the answers everyone. I'm grabbing all the suggested games, will post back in a week or so once I get some play time. In saying that, if anyone else has something else to add, it would still be appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rebecca
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
I want to believe. -- FOX MULDER
badge
Nothing happens in contradiction to nature, only in contradiction to what we know of it. --DANA SCULLY
mbmbmbmbmb
Letterpress, yes. There are several card games I play a lot. Spite and Malice, Canasta, and Hanafuda. On the first two I think you can pass and play, not positive this second.

Hive, Ingenious, Threes all see a fair amount of play for me as well. I like Lyne, but that is more of a meditation

Not really boardgame connected and not for the phone, but Machinarium is a fave with the whole family.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Zollinhofer
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with all the above. I've also been playing Qwirkle quite a bit as it is quick and easy to just pull out at any time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Taylor
United States
Somerset
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hitman Go
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rebecca
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Nothing happens in contradiction to nature, only in contradiction to what we know of it. --DANA SCULLY
mbmbmbmbmb
The husband is almost done with Hitman Go and loving it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Samurai and Battle Line are excellent. (you will need to type Reiner Knizia's Saumrai or Reiner Knizia's Battle Line to find them. You need to do this for any of Knizia's titles).

Some other great apps:

San Juan

Wabash Cannonball

Stone Age

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Because of this thread, i checked out hitman go and immediately bought it. If you're waiting for a thank you, keep waiting..... It's another game i don't need that i probably won't give the love i should

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rebecca
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pfctsqr wrote:
Samurai and Battle Line are excellent.

BATTLE LINE! How could I forget. Almost daily!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rebecca
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wi1ky wrote:

If you also have an ios phone, you can use the iPad as a scrabble board and the phones as your scrabble racks. Just sayin.

You can also search on local wifi games. I think you can do that with Battleline or Ingenious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Harrison
United States
Beavercreek
OH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The first page of the board game group on my phone(because they are the ones I play the most):
Ascension
Stone Age
San Juan
Ingenious
Modern Art CG
Agricola
Lost Cities
Ticket to Ride Pocket
Lux Touch (Risk as a five minute game on my phone is a lot more enjoyable than Risk as a two hour game in person).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.