United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
https://www.twitch.tv/gamerhudson
badge
https://www.instagram.com/gamer.hudson/
mbmbmbmbmb
HI I want to invest in this game I find it interesting.

However I wanted to know how you can mix all the expansions in with the base game. Is it as simple as mixing and dumping all the cards together in one big stack so you have more random things? Or must you pick and choose what you can combine?

I am talking about owning the Advance things only. Can I take Caverns of Bane and mix all the cards together with the Advance starter set?

Also for two players...are you against each other? I know its not co op but do you ever have to eliminate the other player via combat or is it more of a race to the Thunderstone?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BattleZone wrote:
HI I want to invest in this game I find it interesting.

However I wanted to know how you can mix all the expansions in with the base game. Is it as simple as mixing and dumping all the cards together in one big stack so you have more random things? Or must you pick and choose what you can combine?

I am talking about owning the Advance things only. Can I take Caverns of Bane and mix all the cards together with the Advance starter set?

Also for two players...are you against each other? I know its not co op but do you ever have to eliminate the other player via combat or is it more of a race to the Thunderstone?

Yes you can mix in the cards. With the amount if cards you need to use the randomnizers to select the heroes, village cards, plus the monsters and Thunderstone Bearer for each game. Of course, you can also choose the combinations you want beforehand if you wish.

The standard game is competitive, and this means the players try to accumulate the most points in their deck until such time the Thunderstone Bearer is defeated, with the player with more points winning.

Cooperative mode is introduced with the Thunderstone Advance: Root of Corruption expansion, wherein 3-5 players work together to repel a siege on the Village walls. It is a fun and tense variant and I highly recommend it. It has a paper map to represent the ranks of monsters assaulting the town, and this works well together with the board from the Thunderstone Advance: Towers of Ruin base game. I highly recommend you add one of the stand alone sets with the board, as these also have XP tokens for you to use. These sets have more value than the Thunderstone: Starter Set in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Before you start a game, you randomly (or can choose) 4 heroes, 3 monster sets, 1 bearer, and 8 village cards. Each base game and expansion just adds more card sets for each of these types, which expands the pool these cards are chosen from, for more variety between games. Any of the base/expansions can be mixed together and used.

Some players prefer not to mix in Numenera since it is more sci-fi themed while everything else is fantasy themed. But I have everything together and randomly select from everything I have.

There is also the 'Epic' variant, where you take one card from each set and mix them together. So you would mix together all the heroes, all the weapons, and all the monsters and that way you have an ever-changing set of cards to buy and fight. In this case, adding new base games and expansions would make these piles larger as you added all the new cards in.

Edit: As was mentioned, the two player is one on one to have more points in their deck than the other person. There is no fighting or eliminating each other, and in most cases you won't directly affect each other at all. Though indirectly, it is often a race to buy the better heroes and destroy the higher value monsters before the other player can.

But there are some card sets that let you directly affect the other player. The Kobold monster set, for example, has monsters worth negative points, and when defeated, you can put them in another player's deck. Their is also a thief hero that lets you borrow another player's hero from their hand, and then it gets discarded afterwards, which means they can't use that hero this turn after you do. So if you want a more interactive game, just use all the sets at once that lets you affect other players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Ocala
Florida
flag msg tools
I am the spy.....
badge
You could be playing a game right now....
mbmbmbmbmb
Soooo... If you had to recommend a begining point for this game, what would you buy? Thanks, Damian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
https://www.twitch.tv/gamerhudson
badge
https://www.instagram.com/gamer.hudson/
mbmbmbmbmb
Towers of Ruin, but good luck finding it.

Otherwise do what I did and do this:

http://www.alderac.com/thunderstone/starter-set/

But now I own all Advance expansions Found Tower of Ruin last copy at my local gaming store...SCORE

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.