Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joshua Schutte
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm new to Star Wars lcg, I know in other cards games a main component is memorizing all the cards to know what might be in your opponents deck. Since deck building is pod based one could know an opponents entire deck with fewer cards played. Does this make the game more predictable at high level play? If so do "pro" level players ever not play a card just to get more surprise that you have pod x in your build?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Saloff
United States
Edinboro
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
This is a rebellion, isn't it? I rebel.
badge
He's a card player, gambler, scoundrel. You'd like him.
mbmbmbmbmb
Crikrunner wrote:
I'm new to Star Wars lcg, I know in other cards games a main component is memorizing all the cards to know what might be in your opponents deck. Since deck building is pod based one could know an opponents entire deck with fewer cards played. Does this make the game more predictable at high level play? If so do "pro" level players ever not play a card just to get more surprise that you have pod x in your build?

It's definitely a huge part of this game as well. You will definitely know most if not all of an opponent's deck after the first few turns. You can't really hold many cards back for too long to hide them or anything because you are constantly playing cards and also using them for edge battles, plus your opponent may have already seen the matching objective anyway. This is especially likely if they are playing a popular deck choice and then you probably know 8-ish or more of the pods once you see the starting flips.

I really like this in this game though, as then it really comes down the better player. You may know all or most of their tricks and how to counteract or plan for those, but so does your opponent if he's good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Papenfuss
United States
Star
Idaho
flag msg tools
"Your results are back: it's negative"......um, is that a bad thing?
mbmbmbmbmb
Mattr0polis wrote:

This is especially likely if they are playing a popular deck choice and then you probably know 8-ish or more of the pods once you see the starting flips.

Yeah, you will get more acquainted with what cards are in which pods after you play a few more games. You will see their starting three pods, which will help in predictability. I still think good players will have some hidden surprises, and for edge battles, you better have a trick or two up your sleeve.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you not allowed to know your opponents deck construction before the game begins? In my games, we've freely talked about what's in the deck so we have a general idea of strategy for what's coming up...

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Saloff
United States
Edinboro
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
Are you not allowed to know your opponents deck construction before the game begins? In my games, we've freely talked about what's in the deck so we have a general idea of strategy for what's coming up...

-shnar

In tournaments, no. You get to see only the opponent's affiliation card before picking your objectives and drawing your hand. Then we flip the objectives up and that's all you'll know from the beginning. But that's still a ton of info once you know the pods and popular decks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Huh, I thought everyone submitted their POD lists, and then that those lists were general info. I'll have to make sure I start playing sans-info from now on.

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Micheal Keane
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Pictured: Rags Raggerson, successful businesscat
mb
shnar wrote:
Huh, I thought everyone submitted their POD lists, and then that those lists were general info. I'll have to make sure I start playing sans-info from now on.

-shnar

People submit deck lists so that the Tournament Organizers can check decks for legality. They're not revealed to players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Saloff
United States
Edinboro
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ffaristocrat wrote:
People submit deck lists so that the Tournament Organizers can check decks for legality. They're not revealed to players.

I believe the tournament rules state that after you finish your match with a player you can ask to confirm their decklist to make sure they didn't switch out cards or have cards that don't match the objectives they took.

But I've never seen someone actually do this, not even at Worlds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You need to know the gist of what their deck is. You do not need to memorize every single card in their deck. Of course the more you know the better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbie M.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you keep getting hit with Twist of Fate, it makes you want to learn which pods have it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schwarz
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mattr0polis wrote:
ffaristocrat wrote:

I believe the tournament rules state that after you finish your match with a player you can ask to confirm their decklist to make sure they didn't switch out cards or have cards that don't match the objectives they took.

I've only seen this happen once in any CCG tournament ever. (A B5 tournament fifteen or sixteen years ago, when one of the players accidentally exposed an illegal card choice.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Egan
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
StarkeRealm wrote:
Mattr0polis wrote:
ffaristocrat wrote:

I've only seen this happen once in any CCG tournament ever. (A B5 tournament fifteen or sixteen years ago, when one of the players accidentally exposed an illegal card choice.)

Saw a kid (15ish years old) get kicked out of a Pokemon tournament recently after his opponent asked for a deck check since he kept pulling some specific card at key moments. Judges found that the legal number of copies for the card all had marked sleeves. Two separate judges were able to shuffle and pull out all the copies. The kid cried. It was fairly amusing to witness as a bystander to be honest. Yes that makes me a mean person
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Saloff
United States
Edinboro
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ScottieATF wrote:
Saw a kid (15ish years old) get kicked out of a Pokemon tournament recently after his opponent asked for a deck check since he kept pulling some specific card at key moments. Judges found that the legal number of copies for the card all had marked sleeves. Two separate judges were able to shuffle and pull out all the copies. The kid cried. It was fairly amusing to witness as a bystander to be honest. Yes that makes me a mean person

Haha, a similar story happened at a regional for the old Decipher Star Wars game that my friends and I went to. A dude had like 15 or 20 more cards in his deck than allowed (In Decipher game your deck has to have exactly 60 cards as that is also how you track your life total) and got called out on it by my friend. This story also ended with him kicked out and crying, except this dude was like 25...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schwarz
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There was also a guy on here last year, who couldn't wrap their head around the pod format. Someone like that could (and did) build a completely illegal deck with no malicious intent.

Also, wow... I knew someone who had a bad habit of running 61-64 card decks in the Decipher game... they just did not believe that their Objective and Setup cards counted towards their deck. But running a 75-80 card deck in that game? In a tournament?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Howland
United States
Fountain
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
StarkeRealm wrote:
There was also a guy on here last year, who couldn't wrap their head around the pod format. Someone like that could (and did) build a completely illegal deck with no malicious intent.

Also, wow... I knew someone who had a bad habit of running 61-64 card decks in the Decipher game... they just did not believe that their Objective and Setup cards counted towards their deck. But running a 75-80 card deck in that game? In a tournament?

There are very few things that you need to memorize, especially at the start. I would begin with the OSets that play Twist of Fate. There are not that many, and the Twist in an edge battle can be vital. The second thing I would do is learn every set (or individual card) that has 3 or more Force icons. I would venture a guess that this is a relatively small number, maybe 7% of the card pool. They are important as units to hold the Force and the are vital in edge battles.
The rest you will pick up as you play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Saloff
United States
Edinboro
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
StarkeRealm wrote:

If I remember correctly, the dude tried to use that as his excuse. The problem was that didn't hold any water because yeah he was still WAY over that. And yeah, this was either a regional or like a regional qualifier or something. Definitely a more serious tournament.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas McGranor Jr
United States
Erie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mattr0polis wrote:
StarkeRealm wrote:

If I remember correctly, the dude tried to use that as his excuse. The problem was that didn't hold any water because yeah he was still WAY over that. And yeah, this was either a regional or like a regional qualifier or something. Definitely a more serious tournament.

Yeah, that was his excuse. Also, in an attempt to cover his cheat, instead of counting his remaining deck, he counted the cards he had in play and subtracted that from 60. Luckily I could tell that something was off, and called the TD over for a deck count.

The Janitor
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Egan
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
StarkeRealm wrote:

People at Gencon entered the tournament with illegal decks because of X-Affiliation only objectives. People are dumb.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.