Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rich Heimlich
United States
Sewell
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We're fans of K2 and the group of us tackled Mount Everest last night. However, none of us fully grasped the whole concept of Oxygen.

Here's what we "understood":

That guides carry oxygen to camps (tents). Once the oxygen is there, on a player's subsequent turn he may choose to use the oxygen by drawing one acclimation card for each desired oxygen tank in that camp. Regardless of how many cards he draws, he may only keep one card in his hand that turn. Thus, if I select three cards and use up three oxygen tanks, I draw three acclimation cards, select one and then return two to the top of the acclimation pile in any order I desire.

First, is that correct?

If so, then it seems a big waste of precious oxygen instead of just using one tank per turn to maximize the number of acclimation cards in your deck.

Next, the rules state oxygen can only be placed in a camp "already placed". This seems oddly worded. Does that mean "already placed" on a previous turn? What if I place a camp during this turn and then drop the oxygen I'm carrying into it? Since it's a free action, I'm not sure why that wording is being used unless it means a previous turn.

Also, can I only choose to use oxygen when our clients are in the camps where it resides?

The designer produced oxygen chips with two distinct sides. Why? Is this in some way important? Once used we return the tanks to the pile, as the rules dictate. We don't see any state change from tank to mask (or visa versa).

Lastly, and loosely related, what if I have four clients with my guide and return to base camp? Can I drop just the bottom two and replace them with oxygen tanks? Nothing is stated that says the clients would "fall" to the lower level of the guide card but then this means I can carry two oxygen and two clients, which you cannot do starting from base camp.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Young
United Kingdom
Keighley
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Please note, the following is based on my reading/interpretation of the rules only.

The oxygen rules are rather abstracted which is why they seem a little odd compared to the otherwise very thematic game.

You carry oxygen up to a camp (I presume the reference to 'already placed' simply means that you cannot use it on a camp that is still in a guide's possession). I don't see anything otherwise to support the need to have placed the camp on a previous turn.

At the beginning of a turn you can choose to 'use' one or more of the oxygen tanks. To use a tank you may draw a number of cards from the acclimation deck based on the altitude of the camp, but only retaining one, returning the others to the top or bottom of the deck. You can do this for each tank you 'use'. Therefore if you use three oxygen tanks on a turn you will end up with three acclimation cards at the end of the process.

These acclimation cards then enter your permanent card rotation, at a cost of the relevant number of movement cards, which are discarded from the game completely. They can be used at any time when you would play a movement card and are discarded as normal, to re-appear on subsequent terms.

I don't believe there is any relevance to the different sides, perhaps this was for an unused mechanic or future expansion pack.

On the final point, I don't recall anything in the rules about this sort of placement. I would suggest that you rule that clients must be filled from the bottom of a card upwards and oxygen and tents must be filled from top down, therefore avoiding this issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Taraba
United States
Lake in the Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules state that you need to fill the oxygen from the top down so the first tank takes up the spot with two clients. The camp will eliminate all three of the top client positions and the top two oxygen positions. I would guess you would place active clients down the board and keep their acclimation levels if you already have them at the top when picking up oxygen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Derrick
United States
Los Alamos
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agrajag wrote:
Next, the rules state oxygen can only be placed in a camp "already placed". This seems oddly worded. Does that mean "already placed" on a previous turn? What if I place a camp during this turn and then drop the oxygen I'm carrying into it? Since it's a free action, I'm not sure why that wording is being used unless it means a previous turn.

We encountered this on my first play of Everest this weekend, and found the answer. Yes, it means a previous turn, because, the time you get to use Oxygen is at the Beginning of a turn before cards are selected. Therefore, the camp, and its Oxy, must have been placed in a previous turn. You can, if you wish, delay when you use the Oxy, thus, waiting until you have clients in camp to get a card or 2|3 of acclimatization into your hand now, when you need them most.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.