Firefight» Forums » General

Subject: Firefight and Dunn-Kempf rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Stephens
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
I just acquired a copy of Firefight, and confirmed something I've suspected for a while: the III Corps variations of Dunn-Kempf are pretty much exact copies of the combat charts from FF. Why is this important? One major criticism of FF is the lack of rules for air power. The III Corps variations DO have charts for both rotary and fixed wing air support and anti-aircraft play. Once I've had a chance to digest the FF rules I'll write up a supplement for air play based on D-K, and post it if there's any interest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
That would be interesting to see.
I would imagine that at the time of developing Firefight for the US Army, aircraft might have been left out in order to simplify things, as there was already a lot for a soldier to digest.
But I don't reclal any "after-market" variants depicting aircraft for this game, as seemed to pop up for many other tactical games.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kovacs
United States
Elyria
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be interested, as I own Firefight and other modern military games that do include fixed and rotary wing aircraft.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Wright
United Kingdom
Nottingham
England
flag msg tools
Hornet Leader - Carrier Air Operations
badge
Herge's Adventures of Tintin!
mbmbmbmbmb
Does the version of Dunn-Kempf on http://Lulu.com have all the material that's being discussed here? Annoyingly it's only available hard copy print on demand. If it was also available as an e-book I'd be reading it right now!

Edit: It looks as though it's cheaper to get the lulu product via http://www.wargaming.co/purchaserules/homepage.htm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Wright
United Kingdom
Nottingham
England
flag msg tools
Hornet Leader - Carrier Air Operations
badge
Herge's Adventures of Tintin!
mbmbmbmbmb
Dunn Kempf is available on iBooks for around £5.50 - Result!

Edit: And does include the III Corps variations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Stephens
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Update: Dunn-Kempf portrays fixed wing air power in a abstract manner similar to indirect fire. The commander plots an air strike, and after a delay it arrives. The aircraft is required to undergo AA fire, then rolls for scatter. A template is placed on the board for area affect weapons such as 500lb bombs and CBUs, and anything in range rolls for effect. Cannons and missiles only affect single targets.

What I'm working on now is the envelopes for the various AA systems. An aircraft making a strafing run is obviously flying into the teeth of everything on the board, including rifle and MG fire from the target unit. But how close does it have to be in order to drop bombs? should ZSUs and Vulcans be put in play (due to their secondary ability to attack ground targets) or should they be left off-map with the missiles?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Lee
msg tools
If you can get a copy of Air Cav it is based on similar counters to Firefight and allow you to add helicopters and many more vehicles that make it even more fun to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.