Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Huhtala
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all,

I got this game for my dad for Christmas, and we've been having a lot of fun playing it. But, as I'm sure everyone can agree, the paper map that it comes with just isn't up to snuff. So, my dad's birthday is in a few weeks, and I've decided to build him a nice board to go with the game. It's a work in progress, but I'm pleased with it so far. So I thought I'd share.

I built a quad-fold board using four canvas panels. These are 18" x 24". The hinges are made with the handyman's secret weapon: duct tape. When unfolded, we have a 3' x 4' playing surface.

Here's the raw board all folded up. A bit bigger than most game boards, but not ridiculous.

To make the grid, I spray painted a light blue base coat:

Then I masked off the grid squares using 1/8" art tape. My board has the standard 8x11 offset grid with 4 1/4" squares.

After masking, I sprayed a darker blue over top of the base coat, letting a little bit of the light blue bleed through, for a water-like effect. The mask worked amazingly over the canvas, but pulled the paint right off the duct tape areas. Some touch-up is required.

For islands, I wanted movable island tiles, like the starter set used to come with but doesn't anymore. I found two islands here in the images section, then fiddled with them in Paint (I'd use Photoshop or InDesign if I had it...) to make more islands. I printed the images to a full-sheet label, neatly cut them out, and stuck them on some four-inch cut-outs of matte board that I had painted the same darker blue as the game board.

I think they look pretty good on the game board.

What's left:
Tomorrow I'll paint a black border around the game board and paint the back of the board black. I also made these 2 1/8" x 4 1/4" airbase labels to stick on the lower right corners of the board:

Finally, I'll hit the whole thing with a coat of semi-gloss to seal it up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Compton
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks good. I was told a trick years ago. I never used it, but did see its results in others seaboards. Use two or three dappled ceiling tiles dipped in off-white paint. Very lightly touch your board. The uneven surface of the ceiling tile will transfer a very sea-like look.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Huhtala
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's the finished project.

Some changes I had to make:

Duct tape, as it turns out, does not hold spray paint. I had to remove it all and use gaffer's tape instead.

My airbase labels did not want to adhere to the textured canvas panels. So, I reprinted them on glossy brochure paper and glued them on with Elmer's.

The semi-gloss coat that I originally used had a ridiculously strong odor to it. I ended up spraying a low odor gloss latex spray over top of everything, and that really helped.

It was fun to make, and I'm pleased with the result. Having everything lay flat is very nice, and rolling dice on it makes a very satisfying traditional board game sound.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Neal
Canada
Nepean
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
That looks good Brian. I did something similar. Instead of masking, I used silver markers to draw the brick grid pattern. Once everything dried, Future 'floor wax' (which is really clear acrylic) was brushed over top to protect and provide a slight gloss to the finish.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Freck
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cgneal wrote:
That looks good Brian. I did something similar. Instead of masking, I used silver markers to draw the brick grid pattern. Once everything dried, Future 'floor wax' (which is really clear acrylic) was brushed over top to protect and provide a slight gloss to the finish.

Charles, I'm curious did the Future make the board warp or anything?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.