Subject: About Expansions from noob rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't have this game yet (and barely know some of the rules), but thinking about buying eventually (+1 expansion or a few small if I do).

Question, so the big box/deluxe expansions only contain cards for certain fractions? Is there any set that has a relatively even distribution of card for every fraction or do I have to just look them up individually.

Also, I really like the Cthulhu themed games FFG makes. Any one have any experience with Call of Cthulhu LCG and how does it compare to Netrunner? (I realize gameplay is drastically different).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
João Almeida
msg tools
mbmb
The Data Packs came with cards for all factions. The Deluxe Expansions only came with cards for 2 factions (and neutral cards, that can be used for anyone).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Brien
United Kingdom
Reading
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fatesadvent wrote:
Any one have any experience with Call of Cthulhu LCG and how does it compare to Netrunner? (I realize gameplay is drastically different).

You've answered your own question there. CoC is a much more "traditional" *CG game, with players playing the same way, playing mana-equivalent and then paying for cards that attack the opponent's cards. CoC has the played cards fighting over "stories".

Netrunner plays totally differently. Each player has different mechanics with one player (Corp) trying to defend and score cards, while the other (Runner) attacks the Corp and tries to steal those scorable cards to win himself.

The distribution model is pretty similar (if not the same?), but the gameplay has major differences.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does Creation and Control have any content that is special that can't be found in data packs (aside from cards...such as boards or special types of cards etc)

If I were to say get a few data packs (maybe like 2-3), which data packs should a total beginner get (aside from researching which cards I want)? Just get them in order, or get the newest ones?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel McNaughton
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
C&C doesn't contain anything other than player cards.

You can see what cards are in each expansion on various sites like

http://www.cardgamedb.com/index.php/netrunner/android-netrun...

or

http://netrunnerdb.com/en/set/cac

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Gunkel
msg tools
mb
There's a guide for which Data packs have which highly relevant cards for particular decks: (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1090522/a-beginners-guid...)

Generally, you do want to get the first expansion (What lies ahead?) first, because it gives every corp faction a new Agenda - in the Core set there's little you can do in terms of what Agendas you run and WLA changes that for all corps.

To a fair degree WLA is core set part II - it's cards you would put in the core set, if you didn't restrict yourself to a set of cards that builds 7 starter decks. The data packs that came after tended to have a focus on some faction, but they all had something for everybody (and even if the in-faction cards aren't for you there are neutrals and out of faction cards you could use).

The number of expansions is still small enough that you could get into the game and get them in release order, eventually catching up. Play games restricted to a certain point in the release cycle (I'm pretty sure you'll find opponents to do that, or if you are starting with a group of new players you can set your own "release schedule"). You will build decks that don't quite work, but where you can see what cards you would need to make them work. And often enough these got released. Growing your experience with the cardpool is not a bad idea for this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
susuexp wrote:
There's a guide for which Data packs have which highly relevant cards for particular decks: (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1090522/a-beginners-guid...)

Generally, you do want to get the first expansion (What lies ahead?) first, because it gives every corp faction a new Agenda - in the Core set there's little you can do in terms of what Agendas you run and WLA changes that for all corps.

To a fair degree WLA is core set part II - it's cards you would put in the core set, if you didn't restrict yourself to a set of cards that builds 7 starter decks. The data packs that came after tended to have a focus on some faction, but they all had something for everybody (and even if the in-faction cards aren't for you there are neutrals and out of faction cards you could use).

The number of expansions is still small enough that you could get into the game and get them in release order, eventually catching up. Play games restricted to a certain point in the release cycle (I'm pretty sure you'll find opponents to do that, or if you are starting with a group of new players you can set your own "release schedule"). You will build decks that don't quite work, but where you can see what cards you would need to make them work. And often enough these got released. Growing your experience with the cardpool is not a bad idea for this game.

Thanks I'll check it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Argama Flight Crew
badge
INFERNO BLADE!
mbmbmbmbmb
The deluxe expansions and the data packs all have unique cards. There is no overlap. There have been no extra mechanics or components introduced in the game. Just new cards and new keywords on cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Would've preferred if the deluxe expansions had a central theme/new mechanic and had cards for every faction. Just saying more cards in every pack gives this game a CCG feel (but obviously I haven't even started yet so what do I know).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Pettigrew
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Fatesadvent wrote:
Would've preferred if the deluxe expansions had a central theme/new mechanic and had cards for every faction. Just saying more cards in every pack gives this game a CCG feel (but obviously I haven't even started yet so what do I know).

Well, we've only had one Deluxe so far for Netrunner, but based on it and the Deluxe Expansions from the other games, the theme is "Whole new strategies for our factions".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking more along the lines of an actual new mechanic. Like in call of cthulhu, they introduce day and night (although arguable new ways cards work is essentially like new mechanic)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Micheal Keane
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Pictured: Rags Raggerson, successful businesscat
mb
The Cycles (6 packs of 20 new cards each) have been the only ones to introduce brand new mechanics so far.

The Deluxe expansions (at least with the one released so far) have really been about expanding the options of a particular faction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.