Subject: Fief: France 1429 and KS Add-ons critique - STILL WORTH IT! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aleksandar Licul
Austria
Krems an der Donau
Niederösterreich
flag msg tools
Well, I got a bit disappointed with Fief: France 1429 KS campaign passing $250K for not seeing any substantial trace of 2-player option/variant, as well as not really knowing exactly what each of stretch-goal "Expansions" added (description is vague, token count unknown, also number of cards is unknown, unknown art, some later stretch-goals adds to earlier also without details, etc.).
I was hoping that we will get something done with the Coins, cause those tokens (and I don't mind cardboard tokens) are bland. So I expected to get at least conformation that graphics will add some color and/or texture depth to them. I also hoped and wished that for the "last stretch-goal" we will see Plastic Coins. And what we got?
Great looking metal "generic" (meaning those are not made for this game, but for any use) coins which doesn't follow the game currency (since we have 3 types of coin in game, and this add-on gives five; of course if I am not mistaken, as I said components details are scarce). And that cost more (for less) than if someone would buy them directly from producer at conquistadorgames.com (of course one can argue about shipping costs, but even for Fief we in "rest" of EU are paying high toll).
Uwe Eickert, I wish You further success with this project, game seems very nice and all, but I suggest You check Argent: The Consortium Kickstarter campaign, where they gave their backers much more for less, more details, adding also expansions for free, some promo packs for other games, exchanging workers (and it is a worker placement game) for well sculpted minis, more characters, cards, etc, and as a final SG they added cool plastic coins (for NO extra charge!).
Argent ended with far less funds than Fief with the end total of $138,708, and still backers got Main Game, 2 Expansions (1 big and 1 small), extra material (locations, options, characters, etc) across all sets, art-book/lore-book, KS exclusive game box (this is similar to the crown we are getting here), promo material for other games, 35 MINIATURES, AND PLASTIC COINS for no extra charge! Level99 games (Argent publisher) promised that they will add some more free material to the game not covered by KS campaign, because they have got few more ideas and they were pleased how backers supported them. Again for comparison; Argent collected $138,708, while Fief collected $270,687 (at the moment I am typing this).
Link to Argent KS for the reference:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/level99games/argent-the...

What all this means, why do I write all of this?

Well, I am writing this to say that I will withdraw my Pledge of $117. Fief seems like a fun game to play, but without 2-player option/variant it will most of the time collect dust on the shelf, as well as I really got disappointed with how this Campaign turned out in the end (it started so well). Our funding of the game is well over last stretch-goal and instead of new "free" SG we got overpriced (it costs more for less than if one would buy it at the producer) Add-on that is not even made for this game (generic game-pimping addition).
I really wanted to go with this through, but I cannot when I compare it to the Argent and how much more "friendly" that turned out for their backers than this campaign. Coins was the last drop. And, once again (I know some people might call me boring or what not, parts of community here is a bit unfriendly), this is really expensive for me since it has no 2-player option; because for the price I am paying I could get at least 2-3 good games which have 2-player option/variant which will see enough action to return their worth.

Last thing about Coins. Metal is not good for card-board! After few time someone throws/drops metal coin on the game board it will damage it. Plastic is lighter.

PS: Related to Argent: The Consortium, I was not a backer of that awesome KS campaign, but mainly because I found it out to late. But I did went on their web-store and bought it there (it costs a bit more than what KS backers paid for it, but that it reasonable); and the publisher even said they will send me extra KS promo stuff for free (without the special "art" box, I think foiled, since it was KS exclusive)!

EDIT: Corrected the title to match the situation...

EDIT II: It seems there was a confusion on Conquistador web-page, and apparently coins offered through Fief Add-on were intended to be Fief-only. So those Coins were removed from their offer; and with this I withdraw my complaint about it (you can still read it in text above - it is not edited).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Sautman
United States
Evans
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Canceling my Kickstarter funding for Fief: France 1429
Having played Fief 2 and Fief (2011), I think this is a poor candidate for a 2-player option. The heart of the game is negotiation and marriages which does not make any sense with 2 players. It would be like playing a 2-player version of Diplomacy. I'm sure you could make a version that would be solely an area control game, but you would be missing most of what makes this game Fief.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aleksandar Licul
Austria
Krems an der Donau
Niederösterreich
flag msg tools
True, 2-player option/variant would be much "weaker" experience than full Fief run, even completely different experience.
But expansions for Fief add almost nothing to Diplomacy-only play too. They add tactical options, and expand realm building and area controlling, etc...
Therefore 2-player option would not be that odd, or that far from the main game. And it would help the game itself, making it easier to sell, as well as to play. Classical full Fief diplomacy level of play would not change with having an option for small scale 2-player, maybe more tactical, level of play.

But as I said, what in the end made me recall my pledge is how KS campaign turned out. Something that was "such a good deal" turned into feeling of "cutting it cheap"; especially when one compares it with how Argent KS campaign was done.

EDIT: Coin issue was a last drop for me. I think it was a really bad move on behalf of Uwe Eickert and publisher. I wouldn't like those generic metal coins even if they were free of charge, let alone making them as overpriced add-on.
Again, Argent did it so much better, and more friendly; Level99 games just added plastic, custom made for their game, coins as a last SG for free; and it will be included also in basic game through retail.
And once again I stress that Fief collected more than $100K more then Argent, and KS campaign is not yet over.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Manore
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Warlord beats Troll, Troll beats Elf, Elf beats Water Sprite, and basically everything else beats Enchanted Bunny.
mbmbmbmbmb
I can understand the OP views and opinions, and he is entitles to it. I too play a lot of 2p games with my wife, but I also have a larger gaming group. So I would not back this game if I were solely in the market of acquiring a 2p game. So as zautman describes above, trying to make this a 2p game would be missing the heart of the game entirely.

However, I will keep my pledge for the base game but remove the add-on building packs from my overall pledge. After seeing the photos posted in Update #17 of the buildings on the board with other in-game components, I feel that they look out of place. A plastic building next to cardboard standees is just a little off for my aesthetic pleasure. If the standees were plastic miniatures, then I would reconsider. Furthermore, if I add-on the $15 building pack, that basically forces me to add-on the $12 building pack to keep uniformity. An additional $27 is not worth my OCD going into frustration mode every time I would unbox the game. YMMV.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roi Espino
Spain
Vigo
Pontevedra
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I cant see the point, except that fief was not a game for you in the first place.

In my group we usually play negotiation games from Dune to junta. Fief was always a game in my radar years before this kick.

65$ shipping included is a fair prize for the base game. I dont care about the expansions or add ons, but they are welcome, Maybe even they mess the negotiation basis of the game and they are not interesting or maybe only one of them is worth playing, eh but they are for free.

Sometimes it feels that the people just joins the kickstarters just for the hype of unlocking rewards. Maybe Academy games would have to left more space between strech goals.

PD: the only expansions that seems great are the trait cards and the one about the Templars, but im biased since I recently read "Le Roi maudits"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
X Topher
United States
Highland
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Robman wrote:
I can understand the OP views and opinions, and he is entitles to it. I too play a lot of 2p games with my wife, but I also have a larger gaming group. So I would not back this game if I were solely in the market of acquiring a 2p game. So as zautman describes above, trying to make this a 2p game would be missing the heart of the game entirely.

However, I will keep my pledge for the base game but remove the add-on building packs from my overall pledge. After seeing the photos posted in Update #17 of the buildings on the board with other in-game components, I feel that they look out of place. A plastic building next to cardboard standees is just a little off for my aesthetic pleasure. If the standees were plastic miniatures, then I would reconsider. Furthermore, if I add-on the $15 building pack, that basically forces me to add-on the $12 building pack to keep uniformity. An additional $27 is not worth my OCD going into frustration mode every time I would unbox the game. YMMV.

Mirrors my sentiments as well. I'm also dropping the add-on buildings. (Hah, the coins are a total rip! I didn't even consider them.) Once I saw pictures of the buildings, it made the game look less functional. The building tokens are double sided I believe (one regular side, one besieged side) so I'm under the impression that the plastic buildings would hamper details a bit rather than enhance them. Also, the $12 2nd building pack seems quite overpriced compared to the first one. (More for less?)

All said, $65 for the game and free expansions still seems like a pretty good deal. (Most of the other Academy games sell online for around $45-55.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aleksandar Licul
Austria
Krems an der Donau
Niederösterreich
flag msg tools
celacanto wrote:
I cant see the point, except that fief was not a game for you in the first place.
While 2-player option was important element for me, lack of it it wasn't the deal-breaker in the end.
Uwe said they are working on it anyways.
I was looking forward to have diplomacy game in my collection, as well as I liked the theme. Again 2-player option would be great, cause it would make this game hit our table more often.

celacanto wrote:

65$ shipping included is a fair prize for the base game. I dont care about the expansions or add ons, but they are welcome, Maybe even they mess the negotiation basis of the game and they are not interesting or maybe only one of them is worth playing, eh but they are for free.
For EU price is $71 + $20 for shipment, so total is $91 without add-ons; with add-ons game blows $138!
Related to free expansions, we really have no clue what exactly Fief expansions add (total count of tokens, cards, rules, etc...).
Description is vague (though it sounds really cool).
I think add-ons were a start where I was already thinking that rising the price of this deal is not worthy enough in my book (of course one can say no-one is forcing You to buy add-ons; but we know better).
Last drop was for sure Coins add-on; because that directly made me think of Argent KS campaign, and that left me with a bad taste.
Sorry.

celacanto wrote:

Sometimes it feels that the people just joins the kickstarters just for the hype of unlocking rewards. Maybe Academy games would have to left more space between strech goals.
I guess this is true, but one can say that to most (if not all) board game Kickstarters and KS backers.

celacanto wrote:

PD: the only expansions that seems great are the trait cards and the one about the Templars, but im biased since I recently read "Le Roi maudits"
Hah, I was pumped up about the Trait cards, too.

PS: Most of my disappointment comes from comparing this with Argent KS; which came to me after this Coins add-on "fiasco".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Chandler
United States
Fishers
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like the medieval coins from the Kickstarter from "the best damn metal gaming coins". Three of the 5 coins are pictured in the 51 piece set
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aleksandar Licul
Austria
Krems an der Donau
Niederösterreich
flag msg tools
chanms wrote:
Looks like the medieval coins from the Kickstarter from "the best damn metal gaming coins". Three of the 5 coins are pictured in the 51 piece set

Yes, those are indeed coins from Conquistador Games; which can be purchased from their store and one get more coins for less money that was priced as Fief add-on. This is what pushed me in opposite direction.
Again; Argent collected ca. $120K less than Fief, and they still included custom made plastic coins for their game for free (Fief funding campaign is not over yet, so they might get even more money).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ze Masqued Cucumber
France
flag msg tools
Protze et Chniaque !
badge
C'est le Gomazio à crête mordorée, dont le cri annonce le soir...
mbmbmbmbmb
celacanto wrote:
I can see the point, except that fief was not a game for you in the first place.
+1
If I want a 2-p game with heaps of plastic, there are regularly better candidates on KS...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aleksandar Licul
Austria
Krems an der Donau
Niederösterreich
flag msg tools
Roolz wrote:
celacanto wrote:
I can see the point, except that fief was not a game for you in the first place.
+1
If I want a 2-p game with heaps of plastic, there are regularly better candidates on KS...

As I said earlier; 2-player option/variant would mean much to me, but was not the reason I was into this game, or why I have withdrawn.
Besides, Uwe Eickert said himself that 2-player variant is being made.
Here You can see sort of a demo for it: http://www.trictrac.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=132577

And also I never said wish heaps of plastic. I said that plastic custom-made for this game coins would be better than metal generic ones. Besides plastic is lighter than metal, and dropping metal coins on board risk damaging it.
To that I´ll add that on Fief KS comments section I was arguing against plastic Nobles miniatures in favor of more Attendants, Events, and Trait cards...

EDIT: Link corrected; thanks to Sdric.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ottevaere Wouter
Belgium
Vosselaar
Antwerpen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Uhr78 wrote:
For EU price is $71 + $20 for shipment, so total is $91 without add-ons; with add-ons game blows $138!
Related to free expansions, we really have no clue what exactly Fief expansions add (total count of tokens, cards, rules, etc...).
Description is vague (though it sounds really cool).
I think add-ons were a start where I was already thinking that rising the price of this deal is not worthy enough in my book (of course one can say no-one is forcing You to buy add-ons; but we know better).
Last drop was for sure Coins add-on; because that directly made me think of Argent KS campaign, and that left me with a bad taste.
Sorry.

As I can see at Kickstarter: even for Europeans (like me - a Belgian) the price is $65 (for an English, French or Spanish version), and $20 for shipment, meaning $85 for a game without add-ons (more or less €63).
That sounds a fair price to me, knowing that I'll get a quality gameboard, individual player boards, lots of game tokens (men-at-arms, kinghts, trebuchets, cities, castles, money...) and a newly written rulebook.
But also for the same price I'll get: extra game tokens (archers, bombards, royal guards, mercenaries, attendants), three full expansions, nobility attribute cards. For that price, it's still fair for me.

I too wasn't attracted to the plastic buildings, nor the metal coins - they would have been totally different from the other cardboard tokens, in form, texture and style. The pictures of the 3D-printed models on the gameboard just convinced me: they aren't really part of the game(parts). So I won't purchase the plastic add-ons, nor the metal coins.
But I will still be happy with my game and all the content.

And indeed, as others already said: why asking for a 2-player-version for a game that is build around diplomacy and competition, which only works with at least three players?
How would you solve the exciting system of elections of bishops, pope and king? How would you play the system of weddings and alliances? If you deny the diplomacy, you will be only left with a conquest race (who gets as fast as possible the three fiefs?) and thats not what Mouchebeuf intended when he created this game - in my humble opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark C
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have been on the fence about backing Fief. I'm generally anti-kickstarter the way it's used for designer boardgames, due to both the packaging of the price points, the general lack of development that plagues so many of the KS titles, and the over-promise, under-deliver aspect of it.

I have a ton of confidence that Uwe will offer a good product though, especially given this is a remake/tweak of an existing game. So I expect this is an exception as far as development. However, the price point and possibility of a pimped version, take the pledge way up to where I'd really need to play it before buying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aleksandar Licul
Austria
Krems an der Donau
Niederösterreich
flag msg tools
Wout wrote:

As I can see at Kickstarter: even for Europeans (like me - a Belgian) the price is $65 (for an English, French or Spanish version), and $20 for shipment, meaning $85 for a game without add-ons (more or less €63).
True, base game price is $65 (I was taking into account $71 Limited Designer's Copy which had an addition of a sticker with a signature, which is what most KS supporters there went for). Though, price point still stands compared to Argent, even if Argent is some ca. $30 more expensive. Because in Argent case, for $85 + $36 shipment You get a lot of cards (multilevel spells, items, minions, VP goals, various other functionality cards), two-sided location tiles (variations), board, at least 7 two-sided unique character sheets (male/female + variation), various special scenarios, a lot of various shaped cardboard tokens, a lot of wooden markers, 35 plastic miniatures, plastic coins made specifically for Argent game, full-color rulebook and multilingual reference sheets + KS unique game box, hard cover art-book/lore-book, as well as special promo cards for Pixel Tactics etc; and game can be played with 2 players (which is not mandatory, but it is a valuable bonus)...

Wout wrote:

That sounds a fair price to me, knowing that I'll get a quality gameboard, individual player boards, lots of game tokens (men-at-arms, kinghts, trebuchets, cities, castles, money...) and a newly written rulebook.
But also for the same price I'll get: extra game tokens (archers, bombards, royal guards, mercenaries, attendants), three full expansions, nobility attribute cards. For that price, it's still fair for me.
Price of Fief without Add-ons is a good one, indeed. I am a backer, so I agreed on given price; stretch-goals were great (though a bit vague). I even pledged for both buildings Add-ons (second one is unreasonably expensive compared to the first one, and we all know that getting one means getting the other). With Add-ons I started to feel a bit bitter, but as I said the drop that spilled it for me was the Coins Add-on which was almost insulting because it was generic game-pimping addition which in the end cost less from the producer store then it was priced as Add-on (to that You would even get more of them in a deal from a producer). If coins were maybe custom-made for Fief (and preferably plastic) I would complain but still sail that boat; probably would even buy them (to complete the game).
And what made me quit is that I couldn't go over the fact that we, backers, funded Fief for more than $120k over what Argent was funded, and Argent made better deals for their backers without milking them with various Add-ons. They just made it as stretch-goals, and once they were reached those "bonuses" went directly into a box. All Argent stretch-goals went directly into a game box, and it will be there even for boxes sold through retail. The only KS exclusive "bonus" was foiled box which is similar to Bronze Crown from Fief (I think it is a very cool bonus indeed).
So really, Fief made over $120K more than Argent (and Fief KS is not over yet) and instead of custom-made coins we get generic ones that even cost less outside of Fief KS?! It is insulting. I believe it is not on purpose, and I respect Uwe´s work; but such oversight shouldn't happen (no matter who is responsible).
Another thing that was kind of underhanded is that after stretch-goals were funded, they combined some of them and called them an Expansion (Fief - France 1429' - Tactical Units) which in a way diminishes stretch-goals while tries to present as adding to the project.

Wout wrote:

I too wasn't attracted to the plastic buildings, nor the metal coins - they would have been totally different from the other cardboard tokens, in form, texture and style. The pictures of the 3D-printed models on the gameboard just convinced me: they aren't really part of the game(parts). So I won't purchase the plastic add-ons, nor the metal coins.
Fair enough, no objections there...

Wout wrote:

But I will still be happy with my game and all the content.
I would also, but I would also always have a bitter (after)taste knowing that we were sort of cut short as a "thank you" for our support.

Wout wrote:

And indeed, as others already said: why asking for a 2-player-version for a game that is build around diplomacy and competition, which only works with at least three players?
How would you solve the exciting system of elections of bishops, pope and king? How would you play the system of weddings and alliances? If you deny the diplomacy, you will be only left with a conquest race (who gets as fast as possible the three fiefs?) and thats not what Mouchebeuf intended when he created this game - in my humble opinion.

As I wrote many times; 2-player option/variant was not mandatory, and in no way its inclusion would affect classical Fief game-play. Besides, Uwe Eickert had himself said that he is developing 2-player option for Fief because many people showed interest for it. I even posted a link to an official 2-player Fief demo to further my case that it was not an unfounded wish, but a real option.

EDIT: Spell-checking, minor editing, etc...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Woods
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1

There are many better ones available by FFG's, too. The components regularly offered by Academy Games are some of the best in the business. I agree that is seems the OP had little interest in the game to begin with, if their dropping support because they didn't get some free plastic coins or early, untested 2-player rules.

No one is forcing the purchase of metal coins. Every time I see plastic coins in a board game, they either look brutal (i.e. A Few Acres of Snow) or like candy (Citadels). These are probably the best plastic coins I have seen:

http://boardgamegeek.com/image/348794/conquest-of-the-empire

You could always purchase and add these in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aleksandar Licul
Austria
Krems an der Donau
Niederösterreich
flag msg tools
baconcow wrote:
+1

There are many better ones available by FFG's, too. The components regularly offered by Academy Games are some of the best in the business. I agree that is seems the OP had little interest in the game to begin with, if their dropping support because they didn't get some free plastic coins or early, untested 2-player rules.

Please read better OP posts then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roi Espino
Spain
Vigo
Pontevedra
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The question Uhr78 is would you have bought the base game in a shop for 65$ (48€) including shipping? I know that in your country you have to pay shipping but lets stick to the base offer.

I think, and I like to think that the most of the people supporting the kick also think that is a fine prize for the game. All of the additional discussion about stretch goals or add ons seems a bit futile for me. They are extras that could be nice or not, but they dont hurt.

Frankly I appreciate that they stopped the stretch goals instead of offering me an untested an spoiled expansion or some fancy component still no produced that will delay the release of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher Snyder
Taiwan
Taipei
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've been circling around this since it launched, and I have to admit it looks fantastic. The art and concept are top notch in my opinion. However, it seems a good minimum is four players, with those who've played it recommending 5-6. My core gaming group once consisted of five players. But one moved out of the country, one is expecting a baby this weekend, and last one prefers Terra Mystica to pretty much everything else. The only other person left is my fiancee, and since she isn't big on RP, nor is English her native language, she would probably not like this one. It's a shame because I like Academy Games and think this game is going to be stellar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Debije
Netherlands
Eindhoven
The Netherlands
flag msg tools
I was pretty happy with the extra stuff added as is. I don't need or want any cheap plastic crap in the game. The list of goals seemed clear to me, and we reached them. They added some other totally optional add-ons you can easily ignore. Why do you feel you deserve some additonal stuff? Why should they dig into their potential profit? They deserve to make something on their game and I think it is coming with a boatload of extras as it is at a reasonable price point, therefore I ordered. Do you really have to open a whole forum post to tell us you are withdrawing? Just take back your money and put it in something you think has a better value but no need to whine about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keiron
United Kingdom
Sittingbourne
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mi_de wrote:
I was pretty happy with the extra stuff added as is. I don't need or want any cheap plastic crap in the game. The list of goals seemed clear to me, and we reached them. They added some other totally optional add-ons you can easily ignore. Why do you feel you deserve some additonal stuff? Why should they dig into their potential profit? They deserve to make something on their game and I think it is coming with a boatload of extras as it is at a reasonable price point, therefore I ordered. Do you really have to open a whole forum post to tell us you are withdrawing? Just take back your money and put it in something you think has a better value but no need to whine about it.

+1, seconded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Christensen
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this game got big enough and got enough hype about it that people that don't normally get games like this jumped on this one. I think that's why we ended up with the plastic buildings that people here seem to be backing away from after seeing them on the board. If this game had only the people that usually get wargames/historical games/stuff with diplomacy the plastic building idea never would have surfaced. Maybe it would of but I think the hype got big and people that wouldn't normally get this kind of game got carried away in KS and stretch goal hype.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aleksandar Licul
Austria
Krems an der Donau
Niederösterreich
flag msg tools
celacanto wrote:
The question Uhr78 is would you have bought the base game in a shop for 65$ (48€) including shipping? I know that in your country you have to pay shipping but lets stick to the base offer.

I think, and I like to think that the most of the people supporting the kick also think that is a fine prize for the game. All of the additional discussion about stretch goals or add ons seems a bit futile for me. They are extras that could be nice or not, but they dont hurt.

Frankly I appreciate that they stopped the stretch goals instead of offering me an untested an spoiled expansion or some fancy component still no produced that will delay the release of the game.
I said it already; I still think game is worth it. I was referring to how some stuff in stretch-goals and add-ons are being handled. Add-ons are optional, and of course having them as an option to purchase doesn't hurt. What it hurts is how we as backers and supporters are treated. Mainly the last add-on is awful since it really costs less to purchase it from original producer, and You get them more for less money. And this compared to how Argent producers made special coins for their game and gave it to their backers for free while they collected ca. $120K less then Fief ones is what irks me to no end.
I agree with You that stretch-goals should not run wild and endanger the original product quality.

mi_de wrote:

I was also pretty vocal on Fief KS comments section against plastic addition. List of goals was also more or less clear to me, though I kind of dislike how in the end some previously achieved stretch-goals were turned into "new" expansion "Tactical Units", but that may serve the idea of turning it into optional modules that can be excluded from play if desired (so it might even be a good thing). I never said I deserve anything extra but what I paid for; it is clear from my previous posts that it feels bad when compared with how Argent crew treated their backers. I agree with You, as with some previous commentators, that the value and material is worth the base price (even with high EU shipment).
I didn't open a thread just to complain, but to turn attention to publishers (present and future) how easily inclusion of add-ons and mishandling it can turn previously certain backer away. I repeat this (endlessly it seems) that until Coins add-on I was totally dedicated to the cause (even pledged for both Buildings add-ons), and on many occasions and places presenting it to people in order to attract more supporters.
And I don't "whine"; how rude of You, dogs whine! You might not like my complaint and reasoning, but that gives You no right to be disrespectful, even less to insult me.

One thing I have to say, I still haven´t cancelled my pledge; and some of You got me thinking that whatever my issue is with how this KS campaign is coming base pledge might still be very worth the price (well honestly that was never in question, otherwise I would never made a pledge in the first place) of having a nice diplomacy game in my collection. Even title and my introductory post never claimed it is a done deal. I will though, remove my pledge for Buildings add-ons for sure.
For rest, we will see...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Wallace
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The OP has probably written 25,000 words in the comments threads on the kick starter page about how important it is that Fief turn into a different game for him to meet his personal wishes.

Now he starts this thread, all his own, to talk about how important it is to tell us that he is withdrawing his support. He is disappointed.

I'd just rather wait to see it on TV or read about it in the newspapers-- the paparazzi surely must be hanging around his door in large numbers to see what he will have for breakfast today. shake

By the way, Fief-- at $65, with no add-ons-- is a heckuva good deal to anyone who is paying attention to what games cost these days and all the free stuff that has been included. No, we don't have a complete inventory of exactly how many counters and how many cards that all is. It is plenty.

The other stuff was always optional.

As to the 3-D buildings, a few people complained that all they had seen was computer drawings, so Uwe paid to get 3-D printer prototypes done-- which are always in a white, nylon type material that does not look very impressive. And now people are complaining that the buildings don't look very impressive. Uwe told us they would be heavy, solid plastic and would come in colors... but still, we hear 'cheap looking.' Oh well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Woods
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BillW wrote:
As to the 3-D buildings, a few people complained that all they had seen was computer drawings, so Uwe paid to get 3-D printer prototypes done-- which are always in a white, nylon type material that does not look very impressive. And now people are complaining that the buildings don't look very impressive. Uwe told us they would be heavy, solid plastic and would come in colors... but still, we hear 'cheap looking.' Oh well.

I plan to spray mine with grey base and paint them up with my awful painting skills. They will be great fun to paint and will take me dozens of hours (like all the other stuff I have painted). In the end, it will be an optional expense that adds a lot to this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aleksandar Licul
Austria
Krems an der Donau
Niederösterreich
flag msg tools
BillW wrote:
The OP has probably written 25,000 words in the comments threads on the kick starter page about how important it is that Fief turn into a different game for him to meet his personal wishes.

Now he starts this thread, all his own, to talk about how important it is to tell us that he is withdrawing his support. He is disappointed.

I'd just rather wait to see it on TV or read about it in the newspapers-- the paparazzi surely must be hanging around his door in large numbers to see what he will have for breakfast today. shake

By the way, Fief-- at $65, with no add-ons-- is a heckuva good deal to anyone who is paying attention to what games cost these days and all the free stuff that has been included. No, we don't have a complete inventory of exactly how many counters and how many cards that all is. It is plenty.

The other stuff was always optional.

First, please don't go ad hominem, that is not very nice and/or productive.

And second; if You read any of my posts You would see that I completely agree that base price for Fief is more than a worthy deal. That was never my problem. I even pledged fro miniatures add-ons.

Third; I never said that those buildings miniatures are cheap looking. You were complaining about my comments on KS page, but if You have read ´em You would have known that my position on few comments from others of how that white looks bad is that I don't care which color are they as long as detail are sharp and models are not miscast because I would paint them.

And please BGG community keep this civil...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   |