Subject: Nomic is not language dependent rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevan Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At the time of writing, Nomic has been voted as "Unplayable in another language" in the Information box, but the criteria for that poll is "For those who do not speak the language in which this game is published, how language-dependent are the components (aside from the rules)?" - the only starting component of Nomic outside of its ruleset is a six-sided die!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I'm the weirdo who purchased overtext solely for the purpose of stating that Kaffedrake's overtext makes me feel melancholy.
mb
Since I haven't played it, I have to check: is the die a standard die with pips? If so, then the voters who were thinking differently of "language dependent" simply need to be outvoted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken H.
United States
Amherst
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kevan wrote:
At the time of writing, Nomic has been voted as "Unplayable in another language" in the Information box, but the criteria for that poll is "For those who do not speak the language in which this game is published, how language-dependent are the components (aside from the rules)?" - the only starting component of Nomic outside of its ruleset is a six-sided die!

I agree, especially since there are many variations of Nomic that use different rules -- even some that are limited to a single rule. In fact, I guess you could start a game with zero rules (although you'd have to have some unwritten concept of what's going on).

wildthayne wrote:
Since I haven't played it, I have to check: is the die a standard die with pips?

laugh

I think nitpicking the definition of "die" counts as playing Nomic.

Quote:
the voters who were thinking differently of "language dependent" simply need to be outvoted.

The voters are wrong. Requiring a translation of the rules doesn't make a game "language dependent". Otherwise, all games would be classified that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I'm the weirdo who purchased overtext solely for the purpose of stating that Kaffedrake's overtext makes me feel melancholy.
mb
It appears the tide has turned and all is right.

How is this round scored?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kieron Mitchell
United States
Indianapolis
IN
flag msg tools
Http:\\www.kieronmitchell.com
mbmbmbmbmb
wildthayne wrote:
Since I haven't played it, I have to check: is the die a standard die with pips? If so, then the voters who were thinking differently of "language dependent" simply need to be outvoted.

Oh, you really should play. ;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kieron Mitchell
United States
Indianapolis
IN
flag msg tools
Http:\\www.kieronmitchell.com
mbmbmbmbmb