prashant Maheshwari
India
Mumbai
Mahrashtra
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I loath Great Britain map , as it was too easy , everyone had all the money in the world , no competition.

Europe on the other hand is an absolutely tight match with 5/4 players ,how's the game play of this ?

I'm not interested in the advance version
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evil Bob
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Railways of Great Britain is the reimplementation of Railways of England and Wales, but without the rules for stock purchases (advanced rules). In general, the advanced rules weren't liked by many people so when the game was reprinted as Great Britain, they dropped those rules.

The maps are basically identical.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Great Britain map is just the England & Wales map with a single city added. So if you didn't like GB, you won't like E&W.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wil
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
Read more comics!
mbmbmbmbmb
Like the original poster, I love the Europe map and I'm quite curious about Great Britain especially with 2, 3, and 4 player counts.

Is is rich in money as the OP mentioned, is it tense, casual, best for families, best for gamers, best for new players, best for advanced players, etc?

Any additional info in how it compares to Europe would be great to hear.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louis Brenton
United States
Brighton
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wgerken wrote:
Like the original poster, I love the Europe map and I'm quite curious about Great Britain especially with 2, 3, and 4 player counts.

Is is rich in money as the OP mentioned, is it tense, casual, best for families, best for gamers, best for new players, best for advanced players, etc?

Any additional info in how it compares to Europe would be great to hear.

Thanks!

Great Britain is my preferred map for 3-4 players. I've played it with 2 & it wasn't bad, but not as good as Mexico. It's a somewhat more forgiving map, in the sense that the cities are usually really close to one another, so MANY short links are available. You won't have to go into much debt to get something going. There's not as much open terrain as you'd think. There are some mountainous areas but there are also many rivers, so lots of water hexes. A card like "Government Land Grant" is less valuable here.

It's actually my favorite map of all of them, & I gladly recommend it to you. It might also be a little more new-gamer or gamer-but-new-to-this-game friendly, because of the easy connections to be made.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Simonitis
United States
Rahway
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unless there were four more-or-less equal starts, the opening bid(s) should be driven up a little bit.

The thing about E&W/GB is that it encourages and develops your ability to see various configurations of builds. Unlike on many maps where there is only one way to connect two given cities, on the E&W/GB maps there are many cities that are spaced 2 or 3 hexes from other cities. This, in turn, gives players flexibility in building through and around each other.

For E&W/GB, you need a minimum of 4 players (we will only usually play this map with exactly 5 players). Fewer than 4 and there is often too many good areas to build in. With 4, there is typically the following (not necessarily in best-to-worst order):

1) Manchester/Liverpool
2) Birmingham-Norwich
3) London/Ipswitch
4) Service Bounty

All four players may happily coexist for the first few turns (with the service bounty player being the wild card). This makes for a "friendly" game with little need to spread out into others' networks. This makes building cheap.

A fifth player, on the other hand, is where things get interesting. More often than not, it seems like the fifth player ends up going London-Newcastle (or Plymouth-Dover) while the London player does the other. The London-Newcastle player now builds north into #2 (above), who then, in turn, finds himself having to branch out for cubes and going across to Holyhead (for the Grimsby line), which puts pressure on #1, who comes across the northern mountain range into where the London player is coming. And all of this can easily be messed with by player #4 depending on where he started/goes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Mucchiello
United States
Edison
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
The EnW map is the most money forgiving map of them all. It is great for beginners. I've tried and tried to get my group to either bump up the hex costs by $1 all around, or cut the bonds to $4 per share. Some day we will do this. I only enjoy that map with 5 players since with 5 players, you will be more likely to have to pay more to get where you want to be.

I will say that I get the feeling the Great Britain map is even worse since it opens up the top of the England & Wales map. The limited ability to connect between Carlisle and Newcastle is important to limiting who can get the major lines. The expansion reduces the value of using the maintains as a dividing line.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
superman829 wrote:
Great Britain is my preferred map for 3-4 players.
For the 3 player game, do you play with reduced cubes, as is the standard rule for that player count?

In our experience on the England/Great Britain map, the game ends too quickly with reduced cubes (see discussion here), e.g. often without any major lines being completed. It seems that the game is much more satisfying when playing with the full amount of cubes, even for 2-3 player games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
prashant Maheshwari
India
Mumbai
Mahrashtra
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As others have chimed in , GB is very very forgiving and a cash rich game. This was my first game ever where nobody was in debt.

We were playing with 4 , so maybe 5 there may be tension but I'm very reluctant to take this out.

Europe is the wild dominatrix who will kick your ass for one mistake you commit and GB is like your sweet 16 gf , everything is sweet and nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls