Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
So I nabbed an early bird but the I only play games with my girlfriend. I just asked about how thr gsmes scales in the KS comments and was told each player would have to control two characters. I'm sorry but that is a half ass way to say the game supports less players. Does anyone know if there will be official variants or why we couldn't each just control one character each? If not I'm going to have to drop my pledge. Thanks in advanced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Bazler
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
"Come, and trip it as you go..."
badge
"...on the light fantastic toe."
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Game doesn't scale
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
So I nabbed an early bird but the I only play games with my girlfriend. I just asked about how thr gsmes scales in the KS comments and was told each player would have to control two characters. I'm sorry but that is a half ass way to say the game supports less players. Does anyone know if there will be official variants or why we couldn't each just control one character each? If not I'm going to have to drop my pledge. Thanks in advanced.

I imagine if you only play with two characters total, your ability to cooperate (and thus survive) will be reduced. If one of you were to fall unconscious, it would become nearly impossible to win, because the other character would spend most of his actions carrying the other.

I can't see a way around it apart from adding fewer zombies to the board (or having a different track with fewer spawns/hordes).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the input. I'm not dismissing the game but have my concerns. How difficult is it to control two characters?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Arnone
United States
Parkville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
Thanks for the input. I'm not dismissing the game but have my concerns. How difficult is it to control two characters?

Not difficult at all?

If you still just take alternating turns, you're still just taking one turn at a time, but just rotating through your characters. Or you could take both your characters turns and then she could take both of hers.

Arkham/Eldritch players have been playing multiple characters for a long time. Its actually pretty common in games like this. I actually just picked up Carnival Zombie, which actually requires each player to control three characters if you're trying to play 2p.

Some game designs just require a certain number of figures on the board. *shrug*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cliff Fuller
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played this game, nor have I played any "real time" games where I control multiple characters, but I suspect once you get the hang of the 15-minute gameplay experience and all the mechanics, it can't be that difficult to control two different players.

I wasn't going to back this on its face until I read the rules and the streamlined and elegant gameplay. It takes the concepts of Zombicide and makes it a much smoother, more interesting and thematic experience to me. I think I will be playing 2 player games to start as a "training wheels" exercise to learn and later on teach the game to my gaming group.

I think the primary issue for controlling multiple players is to keep the four "player" areas separate and distinct on the table. Most of the information is face up cards anyway and are placed on the table, not in your hand. So as long as you can reach everything you need to - the board, the card deck, the zombies - you should be all right.

I find that in any real-time or dex games (Space Alert, Galaxy Trucker, Space Cadets, Dungeon Fighter) I generally am standing up the entire time due to the "energy" of the ticking clock and the fact that there's a lot of maintenance or "business" to take care of each turn/moment. In a way I'm in a "fighting" stance to play games of this nature.

I envision this as a game where I'll be standing since there's some maintenance each turn (tossing zombies in the Horde box, searching the discard deck and ordering the cards there, placing zombies on the board). But most of your learning curve, I suspect, will be remembering the iconography on the cards, and the actual impulse-by-impulse of each turn you take - when to do stuff, how to think and problem solve, how to discuss strategy with your partner. That stuff will become second nature once you play a few games of it, and I think will only streamline your experience of playing two different characters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
InkSplat wrote:
LunarSoundDesign wrote:

Not difficult at all?

If you still just take alternating turns, you're still just taking one turn at a time, but just rotating through your characters. Or you could take both your characters turns and then she could take both of hers.

Arkham/Eldritch players have been playing multiple characters for a long time. Its actually pretty common in games like this. I actually just picked up Carnival Zombie, which actually requires each player to control three characters if you're trying to play 2p.

Some game designs just require a certain number of figures on the board. *shrug*

But eldritch and ah aren't time sensitive

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Arnone
United States
Parkville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
True, and I wouldn't suggest playing this solo, but with 2 players you have someone else to handle zombies and such, so that shouldn't be an issue. It comes down to thinking fast, but even Eldritch is harder 2p than with more, so again, it's pretty normal for difficulty to spike.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jules Halligan
Australia
Mount Pleasant
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The first paragraph of the Kickstarter page says
Quote:
Experience frantic 15-minute game sessions as you play a group of 2 to 4 teenagers running for their lives, while trying to discover the truth about the sudden outbreak that turned their parents, teachers and all of the other grown-ups into gruesome brain-eating monsters!
I will drop my pledge if this is not true! I really don't like games that say 2 players, when it is really a 4 player game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ZombieJules wrote:
Quote:
Experience frantic 15-minute game sessions as you play a group of 2 to 4 teenagers running for their lives, while trying to discover the truth about the sudden outbreak that turned their parents, teachers and all of the other grown-ups into gruesome brain-eating monsters!
I will drop my pledge if this is not true! I really don't like games that say 2 players, when it is really a 4 player game.

It looks like each person must controll two characters each. At first I was ready to drop my pledge but it sounds like it isn't too hard to manage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Arnone
United States
Parkville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ZombieJules wrote:
Quote:

But its not a lie. There is no hidden information, and you're playing against a soundtrack. Yes, you have to control multiple pieces.. but, uh, plenty of games have you control multiple pieces. So what if at 2-players its about controlling a pair of teenagers rather than 1? It might be harder, but no co-op game scales its difficulty perfectly, so that's going to happen regardless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jules Halligan
Australia
Mount Pleasant
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I understand that it would work fine. I just feel that in a really thematic game it breaks the immersion. Like playing with 2 characters in an rpg. It's just a personal taste thing, which is a shame, because the game looks like a lot of fun
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see why you couldn't play with one character per player.

It might make the game harder, but then each character will get to act twice as often, so possibly not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm on the other end of the fence. I was really hoping to see that 5-8 player scenario pack get unlocked. I guess there is still hope, but it is shrinking by the hour

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy Steuperaert
Belgium
Desselgem
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hoi. I actually played this in essen.
It was fun not something i thought was splendid. It does force you to think fast and work together. We spread out to much and failed in the end.
I dont see myself playing with two chars each. One i like to watch a bit of what the others do and i had to think from time to time. The game is already pretty chaotic without needing me to control two chars.

Take that with a grain of salt i only played once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Bazler
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
"Come, and trip it as you go..."
badge
"...on the light fantastic toe."
mbmbmbmbmb
Baelrath wrote:
Hoi. I actually played this in essen.
It was fun not something i thought was splendid. It does force you to think fast and work together. We spread out to much and failed in the end.
I dont see myself playing with two chars each. One i like to watch a bit of what the others do and i had to think from time to time. The game is already pretty chaotic without needing me to control two chars.

Take that with a grain of salt i only played once.

For what it's worth, I once thought the same about the two-player Space Alert, which is also timed and each player needs to control two pawns. The game seemed way too complicated and frustrating on our first couple of attempts, and I considered getting rid of the game.

Then, I (crazily) tried the solo game, which has you play four (!) characters. The first two plays were virtually impossible, but as I got better, it became very fun, and a real challenge. It's still stressful and difficult, but fun.

I could see something similar happening with Zombie 15 (even a solo game! yikes!).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.