Tom Haesendonckx
Belgium
Antwerp - Schoten
Antwerpen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

Just a quick question:

I am playing Empire and my swordsmen (2 disks) are in close combat, pinning 2 orc boys disks.

The Orc Boar riders charge...can they really just pass over their own units, crashing into my swordsmen, inflict 4 damage from 'Impact'?

That seems a bit odd, especially combined with a command that allows them to continue moving and kill another units...

Kind reagrds,

Tom

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias König
Germany
Mainz
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I get you right, you want to know if impact damage hits own units as well: yes it does!

They can pass over their own units, but those disks have to take the damage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Soda Popinski
msg tools
mbmbmb
Impact damage is applied to every unit it pins after flipping. Friendly units included.

But in this case i'm not sure. Effectively if the boar boyz pin your swordsmen they are not pinning the units that your swordsmen are pinning.

I think they would kill the swordsmen leaving the orc boyz without a scratch. Strange as it might seem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias König
Germany
Mainz
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
soda_popinski wrote:
Effectively if the boar boyz pin your swordsmen they are not pinning the units that your swordsmen are pinning.

I think they would kill the swordsmen leaving the orc boyz without a scratch. Strange as it might seem.

Yep, you are perfectly right!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris D
Italy
Muggiò
MB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, should be right... leaving units close in presence of cavalry is NOT a good idea. Especially relentless Orc cavalry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Soda Popinski
msg tools
mbmbmb
BUT, this opens up for a defensive strategy. If you are facing a bunch of units with impact, you could place your units in a way that they are pinning each other. That way you could possibly avoid impact damage on some of your units.

Yeah it might not be the best of strategies, but something to consider in certain situations..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Verro Diabolico
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
soda_popinski wrote:
BUT, this opens up for a defensive strategy. If you are facing a bunch of units with impact, you could place your units in a way that they are pinning each other. That way you could possibly avoid impact damage on some of your units.

Yeah it might not be the best of strategies, but something to consider in certain situations..
Yes, this could be a strategy, and it is quite realistic (eg put your spearmen in defence of your archers), but then consider that your disks couldn't be activated till they are pinned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Haesendonckx
Belgium
Antwerp - Schoten
Antwerpen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
so, how can one handle this impact 4 + relentless?

it would kill all units...with a huge move, farther than I can shoot at mdm range...?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacek Placek
Poland
Kraków
Małopolska
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
soda_popinski wrote:
Impact damage is applied to every unit it pins after flipping. Friendly units included.

But in this case i'm not sure. Effectively if the boar boyz pin your swordsmen they are not pinning the units that your swordsmen are pinning.

After checking both Pinning and Impact definitions in rulebook, I must agree with this interpretation even though it seems sooo unlogical from the theme perspective.

On the other hand the disks placement is very important with this one. When you're charging those empire troops, overlapping your boys - you will impact-kill the enemy but you will pin your disks making them useless for some time

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Camelorn
Germany
Koblenz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
Shiny!
badge
Shiny!
mbmbmbmbmb
Silverwings wrote:

it would kill all units...with a huge move, farther than I can shoot at mdm range...?

- bait it
- pin it
- shoot it
- hide from it in fortified terrain
- disperse
- run from it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Verro Diabolico
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Silverwings wrote:

Relentless just allow an units to pass by one enemy disk, then it has to stop if pin another one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anselmo Diaz
United Kingdom
Crawley
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To go even into deeper detail, a relentless unit doesn't stop after pinning enemy units (be it one or more), but has to stop when it pins enemy unit/s again.
Possible tactic: pin, move out, pin the same unit again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Haesendonckx
Belgium
Antwerp - Schoten
Antwerpen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Echtalion wrote:
To go even into deeper detail, a relentless unit doesn't stop after pinning enemy units (be it one or more), but has to stop when it pins enemy unit/s again.
Possible tactic: pin, move out, pin the same unit again.

And each pin would cause impact damage...that is what we figured.

I lost 4 units in 1 turn to a relentless/impact charge of board boyz and Grom the Paunch on our first game.

Maybe because it was only the intro gmae, but I didn't see any serious solution to counter it without losing a lot of units. Ofcourse...we did not hafe terrain yet...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Haesendonckx
Belgium
Antwerp - Schoten
Antwerpen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Camelorn wrote:
Silverwings wrote:

- bait it
- pin it
- shoot it
- hide from it in fortified terrain
- disperse
- run from it

Tried to bait it...shot at it...there was no terrain, it moved too far for me to pin, so it charged, I dispersed and I ran from it

but..I asked how to DEFEAT it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris D
Italy
Muggiò
MB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah the intro game can feel pretty unbalanced, but at least it teaches you something... The lack of terrain has a really huge impact on the tactics, very different from a complete game. You should use it just as a tool to learn the rules gradually, imho.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
Weston
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Finishing Blow
mbmbmbmbmb
Sincerely, I think it is a good idea to add maybe 2 pieces of terrain and say that they are Fortified (or maybe Rough). This almost doesn't add rules but decreases the pressure on the Empire folks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls