Cosmic Encounter» Forums » Rules

Subject: Converter and no ships in the warp rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Jenssen
Norway
Hommelvik
flag msg tools
Whenever you would retrieve on or more ships from the warp, you may use this power to instead draw cards from the deck. Draw one card for each ship you choose not to retrieve from the warp.

If in my regroup phase I have no ships in the warp, can I use my power to draw a card?

Likewise, if I play a rift 5 and only have two ships in the warp, am I limited to drawing only two cards with my power?

Thanks for any thoughts on this.

Daniel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty sure you need to have the ships in the warp to begin with otherwise you would not retrieve them the normal way.

Regroup you get a ship only if you have ships in the warp. If you have no ships in the warp you would not be able to retrieve a ship. Therefore you would not be able to instead take a card, as taking the ship was never an option in the first place.

Badly worded on my part, but I think the short answer is no.

Likewise 2 ships in the warp and Rift 5 I would say you only get the two cards.

But don't take my word for it, wait for the other replies
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ross
Ireland
Cork
Ireland
flag msg tools
The mysteries about how we evolved should not distract us from the indisputable fact that we did evolve. -- Jerry A. Coyne
badge
It takes courage to grow up and turn out to be who you really are. -- E E Cummings
mbmbmbmbmb
In agreement with Nathan. I really must get this game to the table more often.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yetikeeper wrote:
In agreement with Nathan. I really must get this game to the table more often.

Well, if you are ever in London give us a shout - at London on Board there are always willing players/unsuspecting victims. I don't think I've played yet this year, I really need to change that!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Homer Simpson
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Nathan as well, however, if you play rift 5 and have two ships in the warp, I think you can say something like this:

"Well, for my first ship I'd like to use my power to take a card. For my second ship I would also like to take a card, as well as for my third ship. Then, I am entitled to take two more ships, so I'll take my forth card and a ship", leaving one last ship in the warp (or some other choice).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Jenssen
Norway
Hommelvik
flag msg tools
Thanks guys!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No, I said "oh, brother," not "go hover."
mbmbmbmbmb
homertve wrote:
"Well, for my first ship I'd like to use my power to take a card. For my second ship I would also like to take a card, as well as for my third ship. Then, I am entitled to take two more ships, so I'll take my forth card and a ship", leaving one last ship in the warp (or some other choice).
I don't think that's valid. In this situation, you're able to retrieve two ships; no more. How many cards are you going to draw instead of retrieving one of those two ships ... four??

Converter says "Draw one card for each ship you choose not to retrieve from the warp" — but this gimmick is trying to either draw more than one card for a ship you choose not to retrieve, or to draw cards for ships you choose TO retrieve.

I don't buy it. This interpretation would let you draw the entire deck on a Mobius Tubes, since that card lets you — nay, forces you to — keep taking ships out of the warp until you have none left.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls