United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A quick and easy to use extra card for Talisman:

Power Aura - this card is designed to have two effects on the game:

1) To make the enemies encountered in late-game more challenging;
2) To make the adventure deck slightly less predictable and partially negate the advantage experienced players have from knowing the deck card contents.

(Strange Eons file available on request if preferred)

Directions:
Start of Game: After shuffling, split the adventure deck roughly into two*. Shuffle the Power Aura card somewhere into the lower half of the deck, then add the other half of the deck back on top to re-form the complete adventure deck, with Power Aura somewhere in the lower half.

*You may chose to split at a different ratio, but for purposes of early-game balance it is best if power aura is not drawn very early on.

In Play: When the Power Aura card is drawn, it enters play as a permanent combat modifier, and the deck is reformed by adding in any discarded cards, and shuffling. (This means that cards below Power Aura in the deck may not enter play until the new deck is fully cycled). The player who drew the Power Aura card may then draw another card to replace it. If he was in the process of drawing several cards when Power Aura card was drawn, he should only draw subsequent cards after the deck has been re-shuffled. If he draws any further 'enemy' cards that turn, the new combat modifier takes effect immediately.

-------------------

Notes:
1) Power Aura should be treated as an 'untouchable' card - effects like the Prophetess special ability or the Orb of Knowledge may not be used to avoid playing the card. Similarly, once in play, it should be treated as immune to destruction/removal effects. Characters on the Crown of Command space do not interact with or encounter this card; it is placed there for permanent reference only.

2) The combat modifier essentially adds the effect from the 'Runes' middle-region spaces to every space on the board. Note though that this is stackable; so the Runes will now count as +4 to combat rolls, whilst all other spaces are +2.

3) Ideally (if only for consistency reasons) the card should match the thickness, colouration and feel of the other cards in the adventure deck. However, this is not strictly necessary for gaming purposes; because the card is untouchable and cannot be avoided or discarded, it is less important if players are aware that it is the next card in the draw pile. A player will still get to draw a replacement card and so still has an incentive to visit spaces where the encounter consists of drawing the Power Aura card.

-------------------

We enjoy using this to avoid enemies becoming a walkover in the later stages of a game. Others are welcome to use it too, if they like.

Best,

Mike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another idea is to have this go into effect when its triggered by some situation or activity in the game. Not sure what a good trigger would be, but maybe a trigger could be
- the Eagle King has been defeated for the first time
- the Lord of Darkness has been defeated for the first time
- the first character to be killed off in the game
- the first character to get 9+ in strength or craft
- after so many turns in the game
- etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
never enough time
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolutely; good point Ray, I don't think there is any one correct answer - the nature and randomness of the Talisman game mechanics mean that what might be a 'balanced' solution for one game situation might be unbalanced in another scenario. A few observations on informing the choice of trigger:

i) triggering on a player stats-target probably disproportionately helps the lead-player; say if I'm the first to 9STR then I've got less to fear from an enemy upgrade than my rivals. Similarly, if someone has defeated the eagle king, they are probably well-set to face tougher foes. So triggering on a 'time-passes' metric is probably more stable (it may still happen at an opportune time for the leading players, but it isn't guaranteed to do so). The suggested "deck at 50% + X" trigger is essentially a time-passes trigger. However, it's not ideal - e.g. it's less sensitive to the number of players in the game than say a round-counter, which would be better (the hassle with a round counter is, well, you need to count rounds; and in the heat of battling fierce dragons and whatnot our players often forget to count even for basic cards like the 'hex' spell or 'blizzard' events... so I don't think we'd cope with counting rounds throughout the game!)

ii) any choice of trigger would be affected by the game style of your players; if you've got very aggressive players who constantly harry each other, this entire issue of enemies being understrength is less of an issue anyway, as your primary threat is more likely to be that lunatic of a dwarf lunging at you with his runesword... this card is more suited for those play-groups who are inclined towards turtling (generally avoiding each other and buffing up their own stats with a eye set firmly on that portal of power)

iii) and of course, it depends on the play preference of your co-players; some people enjoy a game a lot less when they are constantly getting whacked by the beasties, in which case upgrading the enemies at all might be anathema to them (at the very least, you'd want to delay the effect kicking in). Some of us, however (and I include myself here; maybe it's too many games of Arkham Horror!) are gluttons for punishment and feel a secret glee when we draw two dragons back-to-back in the hidden valley, regardless of the inevitable subsequent hammering...

...I therefore leave it to the discretion and tastes of my fellow Talisman adventurers!

Best,
Mike

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Endicott
Australia
MARYLAND
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
like it, yes eon file please

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Wesley Patrick
msg tools
agreed SE file please

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
never enough time
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to BGG EyeCrit! I've sent you a link to the downloads.

-Mike

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls