Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
Nothing will come of nothing.
badge
Speak again.
mb
I like these types of games, Doam-ish with a fair chunk of player interaction, etc. I'm wondering what else is out there that might be said to fit in sort of the same genre?

Edit:

After a bit more play I'm leaning towards Kemet being my least favored from this bunch. It just plays a bit too euro for me, not as much theme and more of a 'solve the system' rather than 'solve the other players' feel. CitOW and Rex are just amazing, though.

Thinking I might have picked the teeth from this semi-sub-genre and need to branch out into my other game interests, so I've added Mascarade and One Night Ultimate Werewolf to the collection. To go with Coup (ok), Love Letter (fun!), and The Resistance (best social game yet). Though I really want to get a few more teethy experiences too.

So I've have picked up Archipelago too!

I guess that means I'm really looking for strong theme, strong player interaction (be it trading, area competition, direct combat, group and social dynamics, etc), strategically/tactically deep games. Any recommendations in that broad area?

Perhaps a few auction games like Imperial and Acquire?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Williams
United States
Mount Dora
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cyclades
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Romeo
Canada
Chicoutimi
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmb
Yep Cyclades!

Or City of Remnants! Or Spartacus!

BUT MOST OF ALL A GAME OF THRONES!!!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Alexander
United Kingdom
Preston
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Cyclades

Amazing game! Do yourself a favour and go get it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Hall
United Kingdom
Yate
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Cyclades

Also, if you can find it for a good price, StarCraft: The Board Game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas De Wolf
Belgium
Gent
Oost-Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
I am the Black Wizards
badge
My hammer listened to Amon Amarth and became Mjölnir
mbmbmbmbmb
You sir have a very good taste. Citow, Rex and Kemet are in my personal top 10.

Some suggestions:

Earth Reborn

A post apocalyptic skirmish game with excellent mechanisms/rules that support the theme, dripping with theme and a lot of fun and original. Review:
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/654849/epic-review-for-an-ep...

Exodus: Proxima Centauri

This one has the aggressiveness - by which I mean that actively attacking/using your power plays an important role- of a Kemet. I didn't like this one as much as Kemet, due to the hidden movement rules. Yet it might be something to your liking. It has good mechanisms otherwise, player interaction and a doomy feeling (you can shoot intergalactic rockets that blow up planets or threaten to blow them up to make them vote the laws that you want). It can be compared to Twilight Imperium but much lighter and quicker.

Cyclades: I found this to be more of a strategic bidding game. I do like it though. It does feels different compared to Kemet.

A game of Thrones: I liked this game for the tactical element with hidden action selection, but since I discovered Rex, it has dropped as a diplomatic game. Rex is much better than agot in this category in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pas L
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
Speak again.
mb
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I have considered Cyclades though the description of it being even less DoaM than Kemet has made me fear it might push a little further than I might best enjoy. A Game of Thrones is on the try list, though impressions are its sort of halfway between Diplomacy and Rex?

Is War of the Ring as similar as some say? Though the 2P puts it in another area.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Runewars
Clash of Cultures
Game of Thrones
Risk: Legacy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
KY
flag msg tools
Thematic Colors of Gaming Blog
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WarCraft: The Board Game Expansion Set - with 2
StarCraft: The Board Game - with 3
City of Remnants - with 4
A Game of Thrones: The Board Game (Second Edition) - with 6
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pas L
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
Speak again.
mb
eekamouse wrote:
Runewars
Clash of Cultures
Game of Thrones
Risk: Legacy

Thanks for these. Risk and GoT have been on a list for a good while. I've avoided the first due to price/not a fixed gaming group (as in, the group isn't the same 5 people every time) and the latter because I think someone else already owns it/I have Diplomacy already. Can you give any further thoughts on why you recommend 1775? I don't know much of it.

After a bit more play I'm leaning towards Kemet being my least favored from this bunch. It just plays a bit too euro for me, not as much theme and more of a 'solve the system' rather than 'solve the other players' feel. CitOW and Rex are just amazing, though.

Thinking I might have picked the teeth from this semi-sub-genre and need to branch out into my other game interests, so I've added Mascarade and One Night Ultimate Werewolf to the collection. To go with Coup (ok), Love Letter (fun!), and The Resistance (best social game yet). Though I really want to get a few more teethy experiences too.

So I've have picked up Archipelago too!

I guess that means I'm really looking for strong theme, strong player interaction, strategically/tactically deep games. Any recommendations in that broad area?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Hall
United Kingdom
Yate
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I stand by my earlier recs of Cyclades and StarCraft: The Board Game, although I'm unsure how similar in feel Cyclades is to Kemet.

Whilst it lacks much in the way of real theming I'd also recommend looking at Dominant Species as it certainly fulfils your other criteria!

On the lighter end of the scale, assuming you like the books, I'd also recommend Discworld: Ankh-Morpork, which is thematic, very interactive and tactical.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pas L
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
Speak again.
mb
DreadFuzzy wrote:
I stand by my earlier recs of Cyclades and StarCraft: The Board Game, although I'm unsure how similar in feel Cyclades is to Kemet.

Whilst it lacks much in the way of real theming I'd also recommend looking at Dominant Species as it certainly fulfils your other criteria!

On the lighter end of the scale, assuming you like the books, I'd also recommend Discworld: Ankh-Morpork, which is thematic, very interactive and tactical.

I had DS but I traded it away as I didn't feel the theme was strong, the game was a bit long, and it felt very end dominated which made the length even more annoying. I did enjoy it, but it wasn't quite good enough.

SC I have just heard is a bit fiddly and overly complex. I am not a fan of fiddly games that try to do a bit much - I'd rather play computer games. How does SC compare to Eclipse in this area?

Will look into Discworld.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Hall
United Kingdom
Yate
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SC mainly suffers from being an FFG coffin box game from a number of years ago; i.e. the rules are not that well presented! Once you figure them out they're not too bad (or fiddly) but it is a reasonable amount of effort of get them internalised in the first place.

The game is very thematic, highly interactive and has both strategic and tactical elements.

As to how it compares to Eclipse, that's difficult to say as I've not pulled out SC for awhile despite loving the game as my group aren't as fond of it as I am. I think it depends on what you consider fiddly. The different unit abilities and cards are the main fiddly bit with SC, along with remembering the first in, last out order placement that can trip people up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samo Oleami
Slovenia
Ljubljana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lamaros wrote:
After a bit more play I'm leaning towards Kemet being my least favored from this bunch. It just plays a bit too euro for me, not as much theme and more of a 'solve the system' rather than 'solve the other players' feel.
I LOVE you man! Yeah, just played it twice and it didn't get any better and my impression was exactly this.

Get Cylades! (auction works better with DoaM as it's interactive). I've also tried with the Hades expansion which might be the best way to play (just played once) . there is more attacking than before and the whole game is more even (less dramatic turns, but still pretty direct). The trick to Cylades is to understand auctions as a sort of contest/combat as well. Group must bid aggressively.

I have a question for you - if I disliked Kemet for the engine thingy - will I like Nexus ops? (CitoW is also one of my favorite games).

other games:
- A game of thrones is too gamey for me. It might suit you or it might not (And I love Diplomacy. aGoT throws a lot of randomness and mechanics in there. I actually found the first edition a bit better - cards are more balanced). But, depends, you might like it.
- check Wiz War. It's specific, very old school, basically take that deck added to running around, but the cards can be comboed and with the right group it's fun.

From what I heard, I'm also eager to check Spartacus, 1775 and 1812

lamaros wrote:
I enjoy all these as well.

Other fluffy games:
If you haven't got King of Tokyo, get it, it's obligatory.
kakerlakenpoker royal - imagine less gamey Coup, which gets more and more intersting with repeated plays with the same group. It's cheap as well, so no excuses.
Survive- beer and pretzels definitely, and good looking one at that. (it's a family game for evil families)

(For me Discworld is to card driven, but again, this just might be me).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pas L
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
Speak again.
mb
Actually already purchased kakerlakenpoker royal, picking it up tomorrow.

Though nothing is cheap here in Australia.

King of Tokyo I might try and play before I buy. Not sure on that for some reason. I'll check out Survive.

Cylades will have to get a look. I'd picked up the 'it's even more Euro than Kemet' vibe around the place and not really looked beyond that, but maybe I'll read a few reviews.

Ta!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls