Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
john withers
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I pledge my money and wait, and finally one arrived! Wallet Battles may not be the game of the year, but it looks like a fun game to pull out while waiting for dinner to hit the table at a restaurant.

Now I'm back to waiting and pledging.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BigIV wrote:
I pledge my money and wait, and finally one arrived! Wallet Battles may not be the game of the year, but it looks like a fun game to pull out while waiting for dinner to hit the table at a restaurant.

Now I'm back to waiting and pledging.
Congratulations on your first KS package arriving!

Now, not to be rude, but Wallet Battles was a rip-off a game called "Coin Age" that was designed better, and without the odd "What if the South won the civil war" theme. Now all that being said, that doesn't mean the game won't be enjoyable, I'm sure it will.

Both games (Coin Age and Wallet Battles are very similar to another game, called "Mapple".

I've started to become very cautious and picky with Kickstarter these days. After backing several projects, that turned out to be underwhelming or just flat out bad, I've realized that it's important to find out as much information about a project as possible before backing it, so that you truly know what you're getting. At this point, I won't back any game project without the following:
•A complete game (no excuses, if you have a game on Kickstarter, it should be complete and playtested)
•A video ABOUT the game and a HOW TO PLAY video for the game. Sometimes these can be combined into one video. (A preview video is a bonus).
•Good artwork. I see tons of projects that simply look awful. Whether or not it has solid gameplay and quality components, I don't want to play a game that I don't want to look at.
•A well-known producer/designer or someone who truly seems like they know what they're doing as far as getting their game made.
•A reasonable price.
•A copy of the rules is a bonus. Sometimes I will personally ask the creator of the project to spell-check and have a non-gamer proof-read the rules, because more often than not, there will be components or rules that are ambiguous or just badly written.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Man, I hope nobody bet the over on when the whole Wallet Battles and Coin Age debate would start up. They backed a game. They got it. They are happy. Yay for them. End of story.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Executive Bear
United States
Montana
flag msg tools
WHERE IS JA?!
badge
Help me Ja Rule
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm impressed Wallet Battles is already shipping. I didn't back it so I didn't know what the expected date was.

Also, who cares if it's a "rip off"? Coin Age was fully funded before Wallet Battles started and it's not like people were held at gunpoint and made to pledge. If people felt it wasn't worthy it wouldn't have funded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RiderPestilence wrote:
I'm impressed Wallet Battles is already shipping. I didn't back it so I didn't know what the expected date was.
I'm actually pretty surprised too.

Quote:
Also, who cares if it's a "rip off"? Coin Age was fully funded before Wallet Battles started and it's not like people were held at gunpoint and made to pledge. If people felt it wasn't worthy it wouldn't have funded.
No, nobody was made to pledge, and nobody said they were. And it's not so much that it's a rip-off, although I do think that's a little dumb, it's the theme that was a big turn-off for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Executive Bear
United States
Montana
flag msg tools
WHERE IS JA?!
badge
Help me Ja Rule
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I agree with you that the theme is less than interesting. Really when it comes right down to it everything is a derivative of something else (or at least almost everything). I just think it is unfair to call it a rip off. Yeah, the timing is questionable I will give you that but it's also possible (this might have even been brought up on the Kickstarter) the guy who created wallet battles had been sitting on the idea for years, saw coin age on kickstarter, saw the popularity of it and figured "what the hell" may as well try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornixt
msg tools
badge
Cheap as chips
mbmbmb
My first Kickstarter package arrived when I was at work. My wife not only opened it, but she punched out all the pieces, threw away all the packaging, and tried to play it with the kids before I got home. Then she had the audacity to complain that she didn't understand the rules! Some people just don't understand, or get too caught up in opening a package (she cut the strings off my daughter's bow (as in bow and arrow) when trying to remove it from the packaging!)

Ignoring the fact that Wallet Battles was a blatant rip-off of Coin Age right down to the text used, it just looked like a dumb luck game without any of the decision-making or strategy in Coin Age.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Grandy
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cornixt wrote:
My first Kickstarter package arrived when I was at work. My wife not only opened it, but she punched out all the pieces, threw away all the packaging, and tried to play it with the kids before I got home. Then she had the audacity to complain that she didn't understand the rules!

And you're still married to her? Must be true love...

If my misses did that, I'd ask her "what did the five fingers say to the face? SLAP!!!". ninja

j/k

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties, it means that it's going to launch you into something great.
badge
This. This is what I am. This is who I am. Come hell or high water. If I deny it, I deny everything I've ever done... Everything I've ever fought for.
mbmbmbmbmb
cornixt wrote:
My first Kickstarter package arrived when I was at work. My wife not only opened it, but she punched out all the pieces, threw away all the packaging, and tried to play it with the kids before I got home. Then she had the audacity to complain that she didn't understand the rules! Some people just don't understand, or get too caught up in opening a package (she cut the strings off my daughter's bow (as in bow and arrow) when trying to remove it from the packaging!)

The bow tragedy aside, what game was it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornixt
msg tools
badge
Cheap as chips
mbmbmb
trmptdrummer wrote:
The bow tragedy aside, what game was it?
Dungeon Roll. The rulebook isn't very good, the pnp rules were a lot clearer so I already knew the game from that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls