Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Mina's Fresh Cardboard
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

My partner and I are looking for a fun co-op zombie (different themes are ok too) game that works well with 2 players. We are mostly into Euro-style games and would like to add a good-looking and fun-to-play co-op to our collection. Zombie Carnival and Zombicide looked interesting but we'd like to know which is more fun, thinky, and has higher replay value. Suggestions for other pretty, fun, and thinky co-ops are welcome.

Thanks!!!

M
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Bazler
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
"Come, and trip it as you go..."
badge
"...on the light fantastic toe."
mbmbmbmbmb
milenaguberinic wrote:
Hi all,

My partner and I are looking for a fun co-op zombie (different themes are ok too) game that works well with 2 players. We are mostly into Euro-style games and would like to add a good-looking and fun-to-play co-op to our collection. Zombie Carnival and Zombicide looked interesting but we'd like to know which is more fun, thinky, and has higher replay value. Suggestions for other pretty, fun, and thinky co-ops are welcome.

Thanks!!!

M

Zombicide is not thinky at all, but it is fun (it's basically a video game in board form).

Can't speak for Carnival Zombie yet because I just got it.

If you're looking for a very heavy, Euro-style zombie hybrid, I'd check out Zombie State: Diplomacy of the Dead. It's not a typical zombie game in that you are a global power trying to contain the spread of the epidemic, but it plays very much like a Euro: resource management, tech tree, deterministic combat. Think Pandemic, but much more brutal and demoralizing. It is technically not a coop, though, so that may not be what you're looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Korner
United States
Tomah
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the horror genre of co-ops you cant go wrong with Arkham Horror or Eldritch Horror.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game?

Maybe it wasn't what you where looking for at first..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Alexander
United Kingdom
Preston
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to completely disagree with the notion that Zombicide is not a "thinky" game. If you don't implement some form of strategy you won't last more than half an hour, even on the easier scenarios. The game just isn't that easy.

However, the strategy side of it doesn't detract from what is an incredibly fun game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milena Guberinic
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Mina's Fresh Cardboard
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the suggestion. Zombie State looks pretty cool but it's not quite what we were looking for...will keep it in mind for the future though.

As for Zombicide, if it's a dice-rolling, purely luck-driven affair, we'll stay out of it. At least Carnival Zombie is dice-free...

Thanks again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milena Guberinic
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Mina's Fresh Cardboard
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Nathan!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milena Guberinic
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Mina's Fresh Cardboard
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the suggestion. I've never been attracted to the Lovecraft scene but I might give Eldrich Horror a try at some point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Edwards
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My game group is totally obsessed with Zombicide. It takes up at least half of every gaming session we ever have. Personally, it's not my cup of tea, but they love it, so I usually play along. Of course "thinky" is somewhat subjective, depending on what people's baseline is for games. Strategizing and communication are key to survival, and you do have to think several turns ahead. But it's definitely not a brain burner. Your choices are interesting, but not terribly complex. I do admit it's a fun game and the components are excellent. And if you have 2-4 players in mind, I don't think you'll be disappointed. I just don't like it because I keep having to play with 6-10 people and so there is a lot of down-time between turns. I just got burnt out.

And I would disagree that it's purely luck driven. Yes, dice play a huge role, but the point is to force you to scramble to find better equipment to improve your odds. Yes, luck is a factor, but when we lose, I've almost always felt like it came down to bad decision making (usually standing still too long) and not down to bad dice rolling. But again, subjective.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milena Guberinic
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Mina's Fresh Cardboard
mbmbmbmbmb
Oph1d1an wrote:
My game group is totally obsessed with Zombicide. It takes up at least half of every gaming session we ever have. Personally, it's not my cup of tea, but they love it, so I usually play along. Of course "thinky" is somewhat subjective, depending on what people's baseline is for games. Strategizing and communication are key to survival, and you do have to think several turns ahead. But it's definitely not a brain burner. Your choices are interesting, but not terribly complex. I do admit it's a fun game and the components are excellent. And if you have 2-4 players in mind, I don't think you'll be disappointed. I just don't like it because I keep having to play with 6-10 people and so there is a lot of down-time between turns. I just got burnt out.

And I would disagree that it's purely luck driven. Yes, dice play a huge role, but the point is to force you to scramble to find better equipment to improve your odds. Yes, luck is a factor, but when we lose, I've almost always felt like it came down to bad decision making (usually standing still too long) and not down to bad dice rolling. But again, subjective.

Thank you for your insights. Much appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Forrest Bower
United States
Fort Wayne
IN
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Going completely out there. Me and my wifes favorite 2 player co-op is the lord of the rings card game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David SL
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I disagree that Zombicide isn't a 'thinky' game. I think it's easy to get confused with a game like Zombicide because it isn't a game where not thinking could ruin the game, because Zombicide is a fun, fun game. It's a 'thinky' game in the sense that you need a plan and you need to adapt that plan when things go wrong (they will), but because the overall feel of the game is so fun and action-orientated, you won't feel burnt out after playing it.

What you have to know about Zombicide is that you need to house-rule a couple of things. Some people hate this, and I did at first, but after a couple of games with house rules the game is so much better, and plays much more swiftly. It's disappointing that the developers didn't think of such simple changes, but they did create the whole game, and it's wonderful one that with just a couple of (very small) tweaks becomes a great group experience.

I can see getting burnt out on playing it, though. It's a game you want to play with people who LOVE it, not someone who gives up half-way through and starts getting silly out of boredom. Also, the set-up time on this game is a little off-putting, so make sure you have people to help out.

Basically, it's a game where you want to find the best weapon, mow down loads of zombies and get the heck out of there. With the expansions it becomes even harder. You won't win a lot, but you'll have a heck of a time trying!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Paterno
United States
Coatesville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a fan of Zombicide but not so much lately. I really enjoyed the base game. 2-4 players is the sweet spot imo. If everyone can have 2 survivor characters, there is less of a chance of elimination and the game goes quicker. 6 players is fun and there is definitely a certain dynamic that is created (lots of arguments of what to do next which I think thematically works in this sort of game). But 6 player games drag. I backed the 2nd season kickstarter and am not in love with the expansions mostly because it adds more time to a game that I think overstays it's welcome. This is in part due to the massive amount of zombie miniatures you need to spawn and move around every turn. You can bring the time down a bit if you delegate people to spawn in a certain area of the map but it's not significant enough to make a huge difference. The game has a ton of dice rolling so if you don't like dice rolling, this game is not for you. However, you won't win or lose because of luck (usually). The game is not thinky in the sense of overall strategy. You will develop a strategy early on but almost every time you will need to change that strategy because of certain spawn events (I'm looking at you sewer caps!). So overall it's more of a tactical game. If you are interested, I would find someone who has the base game and try playing it first. If you like the base game and are looking for more of it (more variety, more playing time, etc.) then then toxic city mall and prison outbreak may be for you. One other thing...I really do enjoy that Zombicide is scenario based. The combination of included scenarios, designer created scenarios and fan made scenarios gives the game some longevity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David SL
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Agreed. It is a great game, but there is the downside to having too many miniatures on the board. This is a game where you NEED to be killing zombies, otherwise the game will go nowhere. This is very much an 'action' based game, both in the sense that you will be killing a lot of zombies, and you need to use your action points wisely.

It's essentially an 'arcade' board game - easy to pick up, but with enough depth to keep playing for a whole evening. I wouldn't recommend this game to someone who wants a seriously deep game - it's ideal for people who are just getting into board games (like me and my group) and who want to just have fun together. Personally I really enjoy it, but I can see how it would cause such a divide in opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve B
Ireland
Derry
flag msg tools
badge
EZ FLASH 3 FTW
mbmbmbmbmb
milenaguberinic wrote:
Hi all,

Thanks!!!

M

I see from your collection you ended up getting Carnival Zombie, then rated it a 3 and sold it. Didn't see one person in this thread recommending it to you!

In my household, Agricola, Through the Ages, Le havre, Tzolkin,Village, and Dungeon Petz are the main games that are always played. Usually the "heavier" Euros are the only games we consider. I also normally enjoy games with hundreds of pages in the rule book - ASL, Word at War, etc. I love complex, super heavy rulesets and games that require deep strategy.

That is until a month ago when we picked up Zombicide. Quite possibly the best game in our collection. Highly recommended. It's so much fun doing a difficult scenario with a partner, coming up with strategies to run around the board trying to fulfil objectives, only for all hell to break loose because you made some stupid decision a few turns ago. Excellent game and has made me want to investigate much further into the Ameritrash scene.

If you are not convinced at all by Zombicide, another one we picked up that is great, and is basically a Euro game at heart, but a co-op, is Space Alert (the same guy who brought you Through the Ages). A lot of fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
reaching out from the in-between spaces...
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dark Darker Darkest

Surprised this wasn't mentioned in the thread. Euro, co-op, highly replayable. The designer just released the Revised rules to clear up any ambiguity and streamline some of the mechanics.

Jorune

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls