Caverna: The Cave Farmers» Forums » Rules

Subject: about rubies... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
lichien lichien
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
in principle, one ruby is like a joker .. and for example at any time you can trade 1 ruby against a single tile.
Question: Can you trade many rubies against many tiles during the same turn ?
for example, i have 5 rubies, may i trade my 5 rubies against 5 single tiles?

sorry for my poor english writing cry
Merci

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Burigo
Italy
Belluno
flag msg tools
designer
badge
“Don't try the paranormal until you know what's normal.” - Granny Weatherwax
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes: using rubies does not expend any action, and you can do as many transactions as you would at any time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lichien lichien
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thank very much for your answer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Byrd
United States
Neptune
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, rubies are pretty awesome. You can take the Ore Mine Construction action, having no tunnels, and then drop two rubies to clear the tunnels, then build the mine. Or you can quest first (if you have a high enough weapon), dig out one tunnel, then use a ruby for the other, and then build the mine.

I love rubies. Of all the improvements that this game makes over Agricola, I think rubies are the best.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jenny Sayward
United States
Kenmore
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like rubies to buy cows early. With a Breakfast Room & Slaughtering Cave, your food needs are met with minimum effort, & you're free to build up other things.

Rubies are beautiful, and they dazzle your Dwarven neighbors! (To avoid their envy, spend the rubies on 2-point foods (boars, pumpkins), ordinary-looking commodities, or mine tunnels that will get you more than the +1 ruby.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kean Pedersen
Denmark
Taastrup
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
byrdru wrote:
Or you can quest first (if you have a high enough weapon), dig out one tunnel, then use a ruby for the other, and then build the mine.

No. You have to first build the mine (possibly using rubies for putting down single tunnel tiles) and THEN go on the adventure. You can not build the mine after or during the adventure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Byrd
United States
Neptune
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
keanpedersen wrote:
byrdru wrote:
Or you can quest first (if you have a high enough weapon), dig out one tunnel, then use a ruby for the other, and then build the mine.

No. You have to first build the mine (possibly using rubies for putting down single tunnel tiles) and THEN go on the adventure. You can not build the mine after or during the adventure.

It's not an and/or? I'm not looking at the board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Forsberg
Sweden
Borlänge
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
byrdru wrote:
You always have to do the top action first, then the bottom one. (IIRC)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
Henkeman wrote:
byrdru wrote:
You always have to do the top action first, then the bottom one. (IIRC)

This is only true for "and then/or" action spaces (Ore mine construction, indeed, is such). "And/or" action spaces do not require you do the top action first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arf Ya
msg tools
One of the thing is, the appendix specify that and then/or are action that makes sense to do them in that order(But no sense the other way around). (compared to and/or which are not clear cut which order for greatest effect.)

In his situation, it makes way more sense to do the expeditionfirst to clear your mountain for that mine.

I realize the wording forces an order, but most of the other seamed to more specifically emphasis that you can do the second after the first is done(like slash-and-burn, it gives the meaning you can sow on the field you just put down. or hardware rental(Sowing doesn't affect expedition at all, but adventures can get you field and food to plant)

Wondering if it's not an oversight from the dev team?

The mine itself doesn't give anything to the expedition(except maybe storing a donkey you get from it?)

This is more about the core meaning of the wordings, in accordance to the appendix description of each term.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
The things we write in the appendix are sometimes explanations of why certain design decisions have been made. "And then/or" action spaces do force you to do them in the given order with the option of omitting the first part. Even if in a particular situation the other way round made more sense, you cannot do them in any other order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arf Ya
msg tools
Cool deal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls