Popular Tags: [View All]
Caleb
United States
Seminole
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules for counter-battery fire have me a little confused. Essentially, before any bombardment, the defender can commit his own fire support counter to the bombardment. Since in Loos you roll for the bombardment's effectiveness, each side will then roll whatever number of dice they get per bombardment for that turn (typically 1 or 2, but sometimes 3). The defender's bombardment value is subtracted from the attacker's.

What this means is that the Germans can essentially take a British bombardment down to zero or less if they roll higher than the Brits. What THAT means is that, if the bombardment is played out (and there is no provision to cancel it), the attacker has a 100% chance of losing a step (at a bombardment of 0 or -1 all the results in clear terrain are A results).

So for the Germans, it's pretty foolish to wait and use their fire support markers on their turn when the best they can typically do is a 50% chance of causing a D result. If they use them to reduce British bombardment values they can get much better odds of doing a step loss to the attackers.

I think this makes some kind of logical sense since the attackers would be in the open, but I wanted to confirm that, when the Germans apply a fire support token to a bombardment, the British MUST carry through with it, even if it's a guaranteed A result. In other words, they can't cancel the bombardment once the see that it'll be a strength -1, 0, 1, or whatever, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noel Wright
United States
El Dorado
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my opinion, you are misunderstanding the rules, though they are not as clear as they should be. The attacker places fire support markers which attack enemy units which may, or may not, be ones he is going to attack in regular combat. The defender can place markers of his own to attack the attacker's units in the same way. I see nothing in the rules to indicate any sort of literal counterbattery fire. Both sides simply bombard each others' units as they wish. That is how I have interpreted the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls