Hide
8 Posts

Catan» Forums » Rules

Subject: Two questions about Roads in base game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
M N
msg tools

1. Let's say you build a 6 piece road in a perfect circle (as in a prefect hexagon).. Is it possible to continue on this specific circular road by adding a 7th piece in any direction? Or is this forbidden because the pieces are attatched to each other being in a circle? (I mean: would it count as a 7 pieces long load or a 6 pieces long road plus another 1 piece long road)

2. If a road is interrupted I can obviously build from both sides of it because I have old road blocks on each side of the opponents settlement. BUT can I also build in the third direction from that settlement ( I have a feeling the answer is no but I'm not sure because obviously I had a road there before he built his settlement there.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tootsie Roll
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
I came. I saw.
badge
I lost miserably.
mbmbmbmbmb
Cooper82 wrote:
1. Let's say you build a 6 piece road in a perfect circle (as in a prefect hexagon).. Is it possible to continue on this specific circular road by adding a 7th piece in any direction? Or is this forbidden because the pieces are attatched to each other being in a circle? (I mean: would it count as a 7 pieces long load or a 6 pieces long road plus another 1 piece long road)
Yes you can build off of any point in your circle and it will count as a 7th road. However, if you build off a second point in the circle, it will not count as an eight road for the longest road because the roads must in a single line for the longest road.

Cooper82 wrote:
2. If a road is interrupted I can obviously build from both sides of it because I have old road blocks on each side of the opponents settlement. BUT can I also build in the third direction from that settlement ( I have a feeling the answer is no but I'm not sure because obviously I had a road there before he built his settlement there.)
This would not be allowed, as you suggested. The settlement blocks building anything new through that location.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malcolm Howell
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For number 2: surely the opponent's road must be occupying the third path from the settlement, or how else could he have reached that intersection to build his settlement?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tootsie Roll
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
I came. I saw.
badge
I lost miserably.
mbmbmbmbmb
Nefrubyr wrote:
For number 2: surely the opponent's road must be occupying the third path from the settlement, or how else could he have reached that intersection to build his settlement?

Don't go bringing common sense into this discussion. That's when things start getting ugly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Compton
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nefrubyr wrote:
As he notes, the road was built before the opponent built the settlement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reiner Dr. Düren
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Longest Road is a continuous road connecting two intersections, which consists of at least 5 individual road pieces and is not interrupted by game pieces belonging to other players. It has more individual road pieces than any other connecting road of this type and no road is counted twice, for example in a circle. Obeying this rule just count the longest road you find on the board.

The official answer to point 2 can be found here: http://www.catan.com/faq/4624-roads-may-roads-i-build-go-thr...

Dr. Reiner Düren
Catan GmbH
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty Patterson
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
the_triangle_man wrote:
Nefrubyr wrote:
As he notes, the road was built before the opponent built the settlement.

Yes, the road was built and then an opponent built a settlement to interrupt that road. The point is, what allowed him to build that settlement at that intersection? The opponent must have built a road on the 3rd, AND FINAL, section of that intersection. So no, you can't build a road on the remaining segment because your opponent has already built a road there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M N
msg tools
1. Thank you. I found out this in the online version btw afterwards.

2. I hoped I'd have played the game a bit more before asking that now. I'm very new to the game. The answer became evident quite soon. modest
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls