Gloversville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
biddi biddi biddi
mbmbmbmbmb
Can someone give me a layman's rundown of the difference between a standard plastic component vs. a "resin" component?

My buddies and I are contemplating a project that would go from a 3D model to mass-produced physical component, and I'm trying to qualify/understand the differences.

My manufacturing experience is based entirely around injection molded plastics for the electronic industry (wall panels, mainly).

Ultimately, I'm trying to get an idea of:

* What's the physical difference (resin seems much more durable and heavy)

* Does the basic concept to finished goods cycle differ between the two?

* Is there typically a minimum order difference?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
@TaintedDragonInn
badge
www.TaintedDragonInn.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Resin based is harder.

This means the detail is better.

It also makes it more brittle.

So, durable is questionable. You can put a fingernail into plastic easier. But apply angular pressure, it will give, where resin based will snap.

Depends on what kind of strength you need.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Etkin
United States
Gloversville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
biddi biddi biddi
mbmbmbmbmb

Thanks, Paul!

What about something akin to those Dwarven Forge dungeon tiles? That's roughly the integrity I was looking for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
@TaintedDragonInn
badge
www.TaintedDragonInn.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Never handled those, so I can't comment on what they are, sorry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Etkin
United States
Gloversville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
biddi biddi biddi
mbmbmbmbmb

Hmm... what about the original Mage Knight terrain pieces like the towers? I believe that was a similar material.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
Resin based is harder.

This means the detail is better.

This is true for polyurethane and polyester resins, which most model kits (miniatures, garage kits etc.) are made out of, versus polystyrene, which most injection-moulded model kits (miniatures, aeroplanes etc.) are made out of. But is it true for acrylic resin? I've not come across it in use personally, but I don't think I've ever known high-detail things to be cast in acrylic...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John B.
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alumilite has a great FAQ page here that might answer your questions here:

http://www.alumilite.com/FAQ.cfm .

Smooth-on has a PDF that gives great comparisons here:

http://www.smooth-on.com/pdf/durometer_with_logo.pdf

As well as a good definition of "Shore Hardness" here: http://www.smooth-on.com/faq_display.php?faq_id=75

hope this helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1stSarge wrote:
Alumilite
Smooth-on

Neither of those is an acrylic resin, either.

Eric: did you actually mean acrylic resin - as in the thread subject - or was that just supposition on your part?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Etkin
United States
Gloversville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
biddi biddi biddi
mbmbmbmbmb
Bichatse wrote:
1stSarge wrote:
Alumilite
Smooth-on

Neither of those is an acrylic resin, either.

Eric: did you actually mean acrylic resin - as in the thread subject - or was that just supposition on your part?

It was a total guess based on some cursory interweb research.

Honestly, I don't care what the material is, provided it yields a sturdy result and can be mass-produced based on a 3D model, and at non-Hasbro quantities (under 2K would be ideal).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MOTHDevil wrote:

Honestly, I don't care what the material is, provided it yields a sturdy result and can be mass-produced based on a 3D model, and at non-Hasbro quantities (under 2K would be ideal).

Regular polyurethane or polyester casting has negligible set-up costs and high labour costs, contrasted to injection-moulding's high set-up costs and negligible labour costs. You can't do injection moulding, it has to be cast by hand.

There's a lot of interest in some newer kind of resin casting which some people are calling "restic" for "resin-plastic hybrid" (which makes no sense; polyurethane resin is already a plastic) which can apparently be spin-cast, which puts it in a similar labour bracket to metal miniature castings and has apparently been quite attractive to a number of miniatures companies... but you'd probably be better off asking one of those companies or the factories they use for details on the pricing. Materials-wise, it doesn't seem very different from polyurethane, to me. Maybe a little bit less brittle than your average cast-at-home kit?

If you want to try out regular polyurethane casting, you can get enough equipment to do it at home for under £50 (so... $80, at a guess?), so you can give the process a go and see whether the time-investment-to-reward ratio is for you without investing a lot of money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls