flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Personal Experience with the game:
5 Games

Bias based on winning:
Never won

Bias based on owning:
Took a while to track down, so a bit of a collector game.

Brief back story
In the world of modern art see if you can speculate your way to untold riches. Which of these lesser known artists will become a master and make you this fortune?

1000 meter view:
This is a auctioning game. You get some money and some cards that are specific artists paintings with an associated bidding type. For example, there can be open bids, once round bids, etc. On your turn, you put a painting up for auction. If you win the auction, then pay the back. Otherwise, the winning bid pays you and gets the painting and places it in front of their screen. Continue in this fashion until the 5th painting is put up the round immediately ends. Now paintings are sold. The most valuable painting is based on the most paintings currently in collections from that artist. This continues for the 2nd and 3rd most populous paintings. Collect your money, discard your collection, get some new cards, and start another round. The previous rounds value can impact the value of the new rounds paintings if paintings in this rounds collection also are in the top 3. Person with the most money wins the game.

Liked:
- I like bidding and this game is one of my favourites.
- Instead of playing a card and just bidding, it is really fun to be an auctioneer and try and sell people based on how the painting looks.
- This game is not easy to win or know who will win.

Didn't Like:
- The money and tokens are a little cheap.

What did I learn about playing well:
This game seems to drive me crazy on valuating a good bid. I got nothing except don't buy something just because it will make you 1 dollar.

Rating:
On BGG I gave it 8.5/10.

Real Verdict:
I argue with my wife that a ten rating scale is irrelevant for restaurants. I either won't go back, will go back, or want to go back.
Want to go back modest

Peter out
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a great auction game. Some gamers argue that the bidding can be skewed by newbies who overvalue cards because they haven't grasped the nuances of the game, but I've never minded. People have to learn somehow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remy Suen
Canada
Nepean
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eldard wrote:
Some gamers argue that the bidding can be skewed by newbies who overvalue cards because they haven't grasped the nuances of the game, but I've never minded. People have to learn somehow.
Agreed. I would say if that's what the market is willing to pay, then so be it! The final scores will just be higher or lower than usual but it is what it is...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Katherine Boag
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I dunno if you're quoting the game or just being 'edgy', but: "McCartney says, "She certainly didn't break the group up. I don't think you can blame her for anything." McCartney says that Lennon was "definitely going to leave" before Ono was considered a factor." http://www.examiner.com/article/mccartney-refutes-ono-s-resp...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kentaro Sugiyama
United States
Redondo Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Short and sweet review. I like how you offered full disclosure of your biases upfront.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gibbs
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A nice auction game but... in my experience, holding several "double auction" cards in the game gives a strong advantage. It gives you both more income on a turn when you're selling stuff (as you sell two pieces rather than one) and more influence as to which artist in any particular year is going to be important (and valuable) rather than not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dagibbs wrote:
A nice auction game but... in my experience, holding several "double auction" cards in the game gives a strong advantage. It gives you both more income on a turn when you're selling stuff (as you sell two pieces rather than one) and more influence as to which artist in any particular year is going to be important (and valuable) rather than not.

Agreed. For a well balanced auction game, Knizia probably did a better job with Ra. But even with its flaws, I think Modern Art may be a bit more fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gibbs
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pfctsqr wrote:
dagibbs wrote:

Agreed. For a well balanced auction game, Knizia probably did a better job with Ra. But even with its flaws, I think Modern Art may be a bit more fun.

I don't like the push-your-luck aspect of Ra if you're the last one with an auction tile, to see how man Ras you pull.

My favourite Knizia auction game is Medici.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dagibbs wrote:
pfctsqr wrote:
dagibbs wrote:

I don't like the push-your-luck aspect of Ra if you're the last one with an auction tile, to see how man Ras you pull.

Also check out Traumfabrik, or whatever it's called this week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gibbs
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dearlove wrote:
dagibbs wrote:
pfctsqr wrote:
dagibbs wrote:

Also check out Traumfabrik, or whatever it's called this week.

I've got a copy, labelled as Hollywood Blockbuster. Reasonable, but not my favourite.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Christiansen
United States
Mount Pleasant
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
OOK! OOK! OOK!
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer Modern Art to Medici. In Medici the values are very known able to be calculated; in Modern Art there is uncertainty and speculation. Makes MA a lot more fun to play. IMHO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Len K
United States
Westford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
East is east, and west is west, and if you take cranberries and stew them like applesauce, they taste much more like prunes than rhubarb does.
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't really have an opinion on the game...

But your thread title is worth 5 GG. thumbsupthumbsup

I don't care what the Examiner says. Paul's just being polite.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dagibbs wrote:
pfctsqr wrote:
dagibbs wrote:

That element also exists in Medici. Passing or bidding 1 until you are the last one left in order to fill your boat up for cheap hoping you can pull it off before the tiles run out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
drpaj wrote:
Didn't Like:
- The money and tokens are a little cheap.

Of course, this criticism (like the thread title) only applies to the particular edition of the game that you reviewed. Many editions are very well crafted. My personal preference is for the Matagot multilingual edition, though the Brazilian edition and the Japanese "Stamps" edition are both reported to be quite beautiful as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Redden
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Nut'n honey
badge
"One of the key problems today is that politics is such a disgrace, good people don't go into government." - Donald Trump
mbmbmbmbmb
dagibbs wrote:
There is a popular house rule to solve this problem where the double auction cards are divided evenly based on number of players so that nobody gets a huge majority of double auction cards in each round. I think that makes the most sense, solves the problem, and is how I always play the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian S.
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
01010011 01001000 01000001 01001100 01001100 00100000 01010111 01000101 00100000 01010000 01001100 01000001 01011001 00100000 01000001 00100000 01000111 01000001 01001101 01000101 00111111
mbmbmbmbmb
tmredden wrote:
dagibbs wrote:
There is a popular house rule to solve this problem where the double auction cards are divided evenly based on number of players so that nobody gets a huge majority of double auction cards in each round. I think that makes the most sense, solves the problem, and is how I always play the game.
Have played this game a bunch (one of my faves) and haven't found the Double Auction to be too big of an advantage. It can be a nice card, but only if it's of an artist that has value. Of more significance is holding cards from artists that are in demand. There always seems to be one or two artists who barely sell if at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gibbs
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not the same in Medici. Unless at least a few tiles have been passed with no bid on them in Medici, you will always fill your boat. Once that is the case, you can know what the risk of not getting a full boat is, and bid based on knowing how many cards are left. You can gamble on getting good or bad tiles, for cheap -- that is a gamble. But, from watching what is gone, especially with more players in the game, you can have a reasonable guess of the quality of the random draws at the end. And, none of that is a "push your luck" mechanism.

With Ra, if you are last... you keep drawing until too many Ra tiles come up. Do you try for one more tile, or do you eat that last Ra? That's the push-your-luck.

There is nothing equivalent at the end of Medici -- if you are last, you just fill your boat with the remaining cards, no choices, no I don't like the first one... try for another. And you always know how many you will get.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls