Novica Vukobratovic
Serbia
flag msg tools
Hey all
I like to think of myself as a web developer since that is the main area I am interested in and in which I make money for a living - for now.
I also like to think of myself as freshman in the world of board game geeks ( no offence to anyone meant of course ).
Since I enjoy looking at YouTube gameplays of board, card and lcg games I like or plan to buy soon to see how they feel like and how they look like, I came to an idea of making a "search engine" website application that makes use of Google Map engine in order to connect players in a certain area. So for example, you would register with your chosen login info and your address ( which would serve as a location where you would be found by other people using the engine to find players to play with ), then confirm your account ( be sure to check spam folder if you don't see your verification email ) and after that login to your dashboard in order to choose games you are interested in ( for now there are a lot of games I added already, but more will come with time ).
I also have a lot more of features in mind to implement to the website with time, but currently it is up and running without any problems. You are welcome ( and encouraged ) to use the website and register in order to raise the population on the website of table top players and with that improve the application so that it can find players for anyone in any part of the World as time passes by and more players join the website.
I am looking forward to see more users registering and let's make this website the "go to" place for anyone who wants to quickly find players for his favourite game he wants to play.

Website -> www.nerdboard.info
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerbear
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
1 Million Shogoths Killed and Counting.
mbmbmbmbmb
Neat idea, but it is already possible here on the geek you can search for users by location using google maps

Use the tabs at the top of the page.

Misc> find users
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Novica Vukobratovic
Serbia
flag msg tools
Hey thanks for the info
But anyways, I can see that you can only search for people near a ZIP code here, no games filtering ( which the above mentioned site has already ) and other features that I will add to the website in the future
Also, you can only search for people in the USA here, search feature on nerdboard.info is for the whole World
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell
Netherlands
Zutphen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Syvanis wrote:
Neat idea, but it is already possible here on the geek you can search for users by location using google maps

Use the tabs at the top of the page.

Misc> find users

Super useful if you have a zipcode, for those of us outside of the US it's not so useful...

Edit: Beaten to it by the OP
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I appreciate the innovation, but I personally would prefer if BGG were the "go to" place for finding gamers. There's tremendous value in single identity, and cohesion with other aspects of the site. But I agree that the tools for aiding in gamer meetups are weak.

I think the solution to the global problem is to fix the "Find Gamers (w/ Google Maps)" feature to allow any input, rather than just zip code. And to update results as map is panned/scrolled. Suggest it in BGG suggestions forum.

Separate feedback: It seems a bit odd that you ask people to choose specific games (and just one) rather than styles or genres of games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Smith
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the quality of any systems comes and goes with the number of actual users! it could be hard to get a decent user base, but good luck anyway! for me the advantage of the bgg inbuilt tool is that no additional registration is required!)

Good luck with your project anyway, (in general) I like the idea!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Novica Vukobratovic
Serbia
flag msg tools
Well it is hard to think through the best way to make a complete application from ground zero when you are the only person thinking through which features it should have, how search should work etc and also the only person that is "designing" the user interface as well as doing the whole development It was all one man job from the begining to the "end" ( since more is to come and search could change of course ).
What my plan was is fast search for games near location when a person "needs" someone for a game that might cross his mind in the moment. For example I feel so eager to play Arkham Horror today and just want to search for someone near me who also is interested in finding someone to play Arkham Horror, so I come to the website, enter my location address, pick Arkham Horror, click Search and it gives me all people who chose Arkham Horror in their account page.
Also, "any" game is available, so it would search for all people that checked at least 1 game no matter which one it is.
Like I said, it was done from the idea to the working app 100% by myself so it has flaws of course, which will probably get corrected in time.
One of the first things I will add is more contact options: Facebook,Twitter, other social sites, Skype etc and also make users available to toggle contact options etc. As well as "forgot password" feature, change password feature and so on. But it is working correctly as it is
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Vines
United States
Blue Springs
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good idea, but I immediately had the 'where is my game' problem. I'm currently on the lookout for local Battlecon players, and unfortunately, the site was unable to help me.

I think that any successful implementation would need to use the BGG api to leverage game info and possibly user info. Which may or may not adhere to their terms of use. I have done exactly zero research on the topic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh G. Rection
United States
La Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Someone else has already done this:

Board Game Meetup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Novica Vukobratovic
Serbia
flag msg tools
mvines wrote:
Good idea, but I immediately had the 'where is my game' problem. I'm currently on the lookout for local Battlecon players, and unfortunately, the site was unable to help me.

I think that any successful implementation would need to use the BGG api to leverage game info and possibly user info. Which may or may not adhere to their terms of use. I have done exactly zero research on the topic.

Yeah, not all games are present right now, but soon more will be added Tomorrow probably, since I rested a bit today. I agree with you on the BGG api implementation, if someone knows if there IS an actual public API of BGG that allows other parties to access their user information etc I would be glad to work on the implementation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Johannesburg
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Novica89 wrote:
mvines wrote:

Yeah, not all games are present right now, but soon more will be added Tomorrow probably, since I rested a bit today. I agree with you on the BGG api implementation, if someone knows if there IS an actual public API of BGG that allows other parties to access their user information etc I would be glad to work on the implementation.
I have not used it, but here is the link to API docs which seems to imply you can access a user's account for games etc. :
http://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/BGG_XML_API&redirectedfro...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Double Plus Undead
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hugh_G_Rection wrote:
Someone else has already done this:

Board Game Meetup
Several somebodies have already done this. The problem is the same: getting people to use your site. It's like a social network; you have to have critical mass before people find it useful. There are several sites out there with the functionality, but no userbase. BGG has the userbase, but not the functionality. (Incidentally, the OP's site seems to be broken.)

I brought this up in BGG Suggestions a couple of times, and the response was the same: sounds like a great idea, but BGG is under-staffed, and there's much bigger fish to fry. That's understandable. So, the solution must be to find a way to scrape and parse BGG's user data through the findgamers.php form (e.g. have a form which accepts a ZIP code and a game title, and then grabs all of the resulting user data and filters by the game name given).

I don't know if this is against the Terms of Service, but I will of course check on that first before proceeding.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls