Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So my follow up surgery was last week (they took the screws out of my ankle). Since then, I have this large red and purple spot that hurts like all hell to the touch. How long do I have to put up with this?

(My surgeon was the one who diagnosed hematoma--she doesn't think it's an infection since it's not at the incision site, but gave me an antibiotic just to be safe.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
@TaintedDragonInn
badge
www.TaintedDragonInn.com
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Holzman
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
As grey traces of dawn tinge the eastern sky, the three travellers, men of Willowdale, emerge from the forest's shadow. Fording the river, they turn south, journeying into the dark and forbidding lands of The Necromancer...
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not a medical professional in any way, but isn't hematoma just a fancy name for a bruise?

EDIT: Well a quick browse of the intarwebz tells me that I am not quite correct...

Quote:
The medical term ecchymosis is what most people would recognize as a bruise, or blood that has leaked out of an injured blood vessel beneath the skin. Another word for this injury is a contusion. An ecchymosis tends to be flat while a hematoma has more of a three dimensional character to it. As well, hematomas may occur in any organ and not just under the skin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Belvidere
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a small hematoma, it disappeared after about 2 years. My cousin's second child had a golf ball sized hematoma on his forehead that slowly went away after he turned 4. It took about 6 months to fully go away after it started to subside.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls