Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
16 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » PBEM » The Village Square

Subject: Werewolf Baseball League - Planning Thread rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dr. Urza, PhD of Dungeon Crawl
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
In VVV's Wolf of the Week thread, I floated the idea of us having an Out of the Park Baseball online league. So I created this thread to discuss that possibility without sidetracking the WotW thread. If there's enough interest (what would critical mass be? 6-8 teams?)

For those who don't know, OOTP is a baseball management simulator. In an online league, each player would have their own baseball team and act as the owner/GM/manager of that team. These teams would all play each other in a simulated season, typically done a week or two at a time. (so owners can use the disabled list, AAA callups, midseason trades and acquisitions, etc. during the season) Perhaps someone more experienced in online leagues than I am can expand on this, as I haven't played online before, only offline single player.

I'm totally flexible on which OOTP version to use, simulation frequency/duration, financial settings, DH or not (oh god, not that debate -- I have a moderate preference for not) etc.

Tentative signup list: (~10 needed for critical mass)
Urza47
Gelatinous Goo
rangers85
SybotCB
Laladien?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goo
United States
Yorba Linda
California
flag msg tools
badge
You can certainly try.
Avatar
mbmbmb
I am not familiar with OOTP but I've been playing rotisserie baseball on Yahoo for years.

I'd be down.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott T
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be up for it. I've got 13 & 14. If most have it, I'd probably prefer 14 over 13 since it gives more bullpen usage options. Both are fairly cheap now too since 15 will be coming out in a few months. OOTP always runs half price specials though around all star game and World Series, then permanently discounts around now with new game in March/April.

I would say we'd probably want a few more than 6-8. Maybe 10 minimum (2 divisions of 5). Or 12 (3 divisions of 4).

Most online leagues I've seen sim a week at a time. Waivers set to 14 days, DFA set to 28 days. Basically you want stuff in multiples of sim length. Sim frequency is kind of up to league. Most sim 3 or so nights a week giving days off in between for people to download file and export new changes.

As for DH, I typically like DH because AI still seems to have problems with pitcher batting decisions and substitutions. It seems to only rear it's head in simulation so most online leagues use a DH in my experience.

I like feeder leagues too so you can see the draftees for a couple years.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
United States
Oxford
Mississippi
flag msg tools
Hotty Toddy Rebels!
badge
Lets go Blues!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I have OOTP 13, I haven't bought 14 yet and haven't even looed to see if it's out. But I would play it.

Ed: Oops 14 is the one I have, I bought it at the beginning of Baseball Season last year, so I assumed 13.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
United States
Oxford
Mississippi
flag msg tools
Hotty Toddy Rebels!
badge
Lets go Blues!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't suppose anyone else plays Front Office Football: The College Years as well do they?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Urza, PhD of Dungeon Crawl
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
rangers85 wrote:
I like feeder leagues too so you can see the draftees for a couple years.
Speaking of drafts: How does an Amateur Draft work in an online league? Do you have priority lists? Everyone agrees to show up at the same time and does it live? Something else?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Sellers
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Try again later!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Urza47 wrote:
In VVV's Wolf of the Week thread, I floated the idea of us having an Out of the Park Baseball online league. So I created this thread to discuss that possibility without sidetracking the WotW thread. If there's enough interest (what would critical mass be? 6-8 teams?)

For those who don't know, OOTP is a baseball management simulator. In an online league, each player would have their own baseball team and act as the owner/GM/manager of that team. These teams would all play each other in a simulated season, typically done a week or two at a time. (so owners can use the disabled list, AAA callups, midseason trades and acquisitions, etc. during the season) Perhaps someone more experienced in online leagues than I am can expand on this, as I haven't played online before, only offline single player.

I'm totally flexible on which OOTP version to use, simulation frequency/duration, financial settings, DH or not (oh god, not that debate -- I have a moderate preference for not) etc.

I'm in.

I think the latest version of OOTP is available on the iPad... I'll have to check.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Urza, PhD of Dungeon Crawl
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Laladien wrote:
Urza47 wrote:
In VVV's Wolf of the Week thread, I floated the idea of us having an Out of the Park Baseball online league. So I created this thread to discuss that possibility without sidetracking the WotW thread. If there's enough interest (what would critical mass be? 6-8 teams?)

For those who don't know, OOTP is a baseball management simulator. In an online league, each player would have their own baseball team and act as the owner/GM/manager of that team. These teams would all play each other in a simulated season, typically done a week or two at a time. (so owners can use the disabled list, AAA callups, midseason trades and acquisitions, etc. during the season) Perhaps someone more experienced in online leagues than I am can expand on this, as I haven't played online before, only offline single player.

I'm totally flexible on which OOTP version to use, simulation frequency/duration, financial settings, DH or not (oh god, not that debate -- I have a moderate preference for not) etc.

I'm in.

I think the latest version of OOTP is available on the iPad... I'll have to check.
The iPad version and the regular version is distinct. Our game would be on the regular PC version. (there's versions for Linux and Mac as well as Windows)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
How would this work? Every player takes a current team? Fantasy draft style?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Urza, PhD of Dungeon Crawl
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ChickenSedan wrote:
How would this work? Every player takes a current team? Fantasy draft style?
Rangers85 should field this one.

There's a lot of different ways, and that's something we'll need to discuss. Two of the most common are a fantasy draft (with amateur drafts composed of generated fictional players), and all-fictional with or without an inaugural draft.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott T
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Urza47 wrote:
rangers85 wrote:
I like feeder leagues too so you can see the draftees for a couple years.
Speaking of drafts: How does an Amateur Draft work in an online league? Do you have priority lists? Everyone agrees to show up at the same time and does it live? Something else?

The way the leagues I'm in have done it is essentially doing a by email draft for first round. So first overall emails their selection to league and so on. Usually start it around a week or so prior to draft while sims go on after draft pool is released but after feeder leagues have stopped playing (to avoid drafting a guy who gets a major injury after being email drafted).

Works pretty well. Then commish hand enters all picks and rest of draft is done via draft list within game. Usually after you get past first round or two it's more ok to let computer draft.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
Urza47 wrote:
ChickenSedan wrote:
How would this work? Every player takes a current team? Fantasy draft style?
Rangers85 should field this one.

There's a lot of different ways, and that's something we'll need to discuss. Two of the most common are a fantasy draft (with amateur drafts composed of generated fictional players), and all-fictional with or without an inaugural draft.

I was hoping we'd all just get to pick real teams and I could steamroll everyone with Cabrera.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott T
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Urza47 wrote:
ChickenSedan wrote:
How would this work? Every player takes a current team? Fantasy draft style?
Rangers85 should field this one.

There's a lot of different ways, and that's something we'll need to discuss. Two of the most common are a fantasy draft (with amateur drafts composed of generated fictional players), and all-fictional with or without an inaugural draft.

Personally I like all fictional. The way I've seen most often is you create a league then let it run for 5-10 years. This weeds out some of the wonder kid type players that sim auto generates with a new league. Then there's a setting to release all players and put up for an inaugural draft. Simming the 5-10 years also gives you stats for players to use when drafting players.

The problem of using MLB players especially if we use only 10-12 teams is all teams will be staffed by superstars. If you create a fictional league it'll create a proportional amount of stars. So I'd say fictional players and teams would work best.

There's also the topic of hidden or shown current ratings. I like current ratings hidden as it provides a bit more strategic thinking on if players are ready, etc. however I could go either way there.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Sellers
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Try again later!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Urza47 wrote:
Laladien wrote:
Urza47 wrote:
In VVV's Wolf of the Week thread, I floated the idea of us having an Out of the Park Baseball online league. So I created this thread to discuss that possibility without sidetracking the WotW thread. If there's enough interest (what would critical mass be? 6-8 teams?)

For those who don't know, OOTP is a baseball management simulator. In an online league, each player would have their own baseball team and act as the owner/GM/manager of that team. These teams would all play each other in a simulated season, typically done a week or two at a time. (so owners can use the disabled list, AAA callups, midseason trades and acquisitions, etc. during the season) Perhaps someone more experienced in online leagues than I am can expand on this, as I haven't played online before, only offline single player.

I'm totally flexible on which OOTP version to use, simulation frequency/duration, financial settings, DH or not (oh god, not that debate -- I have a moderate preference for not) etc.

I'm in.

I think the latest version of OOTP is available on the iPad... I'll have to check.
The iPad version and the regular version is distinct. Our game would be on the regular PC version. (there's versions for Linux and Mac as well as Windows)

Understood.

I'll grab it for Mac asap.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
V
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
rangers85 wrote:
Urza47 wrote:
rangers85 wrote:
I like feeder leagues too so you can see the draftees for a couple years.
Speaking of drafts: How does an Amateur Draft work in an online league? Do you have priority lists? Everyone agrees to show up at the same time and does it live? Something else?

The way the leagues I'm in have done it is essentially doing a by email draft for first round. So first overall emails their selection to league and so on. Usually start it around a week or so prior to draft while sims go on after draft pool is released but after feeder leagues have stopped playing (to avoid drafting a guy who gets a major injury after being email drafted).

Works pretty well. Then commish hand enters all picks and rest of draft is done via draft list within game. Usually after you get past first round or two it's more ok to let computer draft.

rangers, do you guys use StatsLab in any of your leagues? It's a really nice tool for everything, but it REALLY helps with drafts.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott T
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Veni Vidi Vici wrote:
rangers85 wrote:
Urza47 wrote:
rangers85 wrote:
I like feeder leagues too so you can see the draftees for a couple years.
Speaking of drafts: How does an Amateur Draft work in an online league? Do you have priority lists? Everyone agrees to show up at the same time and does it live? Something else?

The way the leagues I'm in have done it is essentially doing a by email draft for first round. So first overall emails their selection to league and so on. Usually start it around a week or so prior to draft while sims go on after draft pool is released but after feeder leagues have stopped playing (to avoid drafting a guy who gets a major injury after being email drafted).

Works pretty well. Then commish hand enters all picks and rest of draft is done via draft list within game. Usually after you get past first round or two it's more ok to let computer draft.

rangers, do you guys use StatsLab in any of your leagues? It's a really nice tool for everything, but it REALLY helps with drafts.

We do in one of my leagues but the commish hasn't been able to get the draft tool to work right so we still do email there.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls