Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game» Forums » Play By Forum

Subject: PBF without a mod? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christoph Wolf
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been thinking on the possibility to play PBF games without depending on a mod. If you take a closer look the players themselves can take over a big part of modding already, Map and assets updates can be done by anybody who has the files. The necessity of a mod arises from the need of shuffled card/tile decks, so if this could be automated somehow players could just share the work of updates and games would be faster. I imagine a webpage where you can set up different card decks, the you can start a game with a number of players with their email adresses. Whenever you need to draw a card you log into the page and make click on the deck, then an email goes out to all players notifying them that you took a card and to you a mail with the content of the card.
Now I myself only have very rudimentary programming skills although I'm willing to learn. This might be an interesting free time activity, but I'm sure if I do this it will take me months at least. So if there is anybody who is more experienced and wants to help please let me know. Also if you have an idea on how to adress this best (xhtml, java,...?) let me know.

PS: Thanee, it's true that I'm waiting for my culture card but please don't see this as a complaint about your moderation. Your doing a great job

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El-ad David Amir
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I started working on a website that dispenses Civ components by request, including an option to validate it using a third party. It was ages ago, though ... I'll see if I can dig it up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ca$h
Norway
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am quite an experiences programmer. However I am not so sure this will work as you intend. Does each player decide that they get a culture card? Or does other players "give" cards to others. What if someone does this by mistake? Or abuses it?
Then you might need a rollback feature or a way to discard. Or someone would need that ability.

I think the best way would be if someone could make a PC version of the board game. There are tons of other pc games out there for board games, so I don't understand why there is none for Civilization.

I could help, the problem is that I have very little spare time, and by experience, I know that this type of website requires some times to do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El-ad David Amir
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cash1981 wrote:
…so I don't understand why there is none for Civilization.

I could help, the problem is that I have very little spare time, and by experience, I know that this type of website requires some times to do.
You just answered your own question. This will take an experienced programmer about a month, full-time, to implement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoph Wolf
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My idea is the following:
You have a website that holds different lists with the culture cards, GPs, units etc. When you start a game you would sign in and set up the players with usernames and passwords (this is mainly so that nobody who is not playing can mess with the cards). To draw a card you log in and click on the deck you want to draw from (decks need to be shuffled at game start of course). On the page of the game it states who took the card at what time, so everybody can check that there is no cheating (I'd prefer that over email probably, to prevent it from spamming ->mysticism!), the player who draws the card gets the info on what card it is, either on the page or by mail. For the units it is a bit more complex, apart from drawing the starting hands you need to assign new units to your hand and shuffle and draw battlehands from there. Unit losses have to be introduced by the owning player.

To begin with I would try just to get the part for civs, culture cards, GP cards, tiles, wonders, huts and villages. If this would work there is always time to improve.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ca$h
Norway
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IirionClaus wrote:
cash1981 wrote:
…so I don't understand why there is none for Civilization.

You just answered your own question. This will take an experienced programmer about a month, full-time, to implement.

What I meant was, there are tons of pc board games out there. Why not of Civilization?

I know there is a tool (rule engine) and programming language out there specifically made for creating these games. Does anyone know the name of it?

Perhaps http://www.vassalengine.org/ is the way to go?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoph Wolf
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That looks interesting, thanks! I downloaded it and will give it a try. Building up the whole game will probably take some time but making a tool just for randomizing and giving out battlehands should be quick.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El-ad David Amir
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't feel that the game is popular enough to justify it, especially given the complexity of the rules. There are very few virtual versions of FFG games, as far as I know. They're a headache to implement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And, you know, there is that PC game of which this game is an adaptation.

Not the same thing, of course, but still...

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El-ad David Amir
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The PC game is much longer, involves more micro, and is a headache to play in multiplayer.

Plus they're so different from each other The PC was more of a guideline I think in designing this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ca$h
Norway
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IirionClaus wrote:
The PC game is much longer, involves more micro, and is a headache to play in multiplayer.

Plus they're so different from each other The PC was more of a guideline I think in designing this.

I agree. The boardgame is soo much better!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoph Wolf
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cash1981 wrote:
IirionClaus wrote:

I agree. The boardgame is soo much better!

I played Civ 4, got hooked but had to play feeled 34 hours to finish the game. Then I tried winning by military and after twelve years (felt time again, probably like 8 hours real time...) I gave up and never touched it again.
I feel safe here as probably more board game fans are reading this, I think on videogamegeek you can get electrecuted for such comments.

I started looking a bit on vassal and I think I can definitely do something usefull with it for PBF (although it will probably be ugly as hell). And who knows, maybe with time and help from others we can make a complete module for playing the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoph Wolf
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm done with a first version, remember it is not a complete vassal module but a tool to play PBF without the need of a mod. Anybody dares testing it with me?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel Cwertetschka
Germany
Vienna
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Gloomhaven: Forgotten Circles!
mbmbmbmbmb
IirionClaus wrote:
I don't feel that the game is popular enough to justify it, especially given the complexity of the rules. There are very few virtual versions of FFG games, as far as I know. They're a headache to implement.
there are more than you think =)

descent first ed
descent second ed
x-wing
runewars
some more

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Holmes
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Runebound has a great script for BGG PBF play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Bouzada
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
Rio de Janeiro
flag msg tools
Morthai wrote:
IirionClaus wrote:

descent first ed
descent second ed
x-wing
runewars
some more

Where???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoph Wolf
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Marco wrote:
Morthai wrote:
IirionClaus wrote:

descent first ed
descent second ed
x-wing
runewars
some more

Where???

www.vassalengine.org

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls