Chris Bogert
Japan
Amagasaki
Hyogo
flag msg tools
badge
http://chrisbogert.wixsite.com/chaturanga-family
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like the solo rules are unlocked on the kickstarter.
I would like to back this game, but I would mostly be playing solo, so I would like to know how the solo rules work before I back it.

When will the solo rules be up, or are they up and I didn't see them?

Looks to be a very interesting and beautiful game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Mullins
United States
Lincoln University
PA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's always my turn.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm glad to hear that there is another solo druid out there!

Right now we're exhaustively testing solo before adding it to the PnP rules. At this point, I've played upwards of 50 games, and it's in the final stage of balancing. We tried to replicate the 2 player experience with an AI oppponent that focuses its strategy as the game progresses, striking a balance between utter randomness and a strict set of rules that can be too predictable. Notching a victory can be quite a challenge.

In the meantime, have you tried the Destiny Puzzles included with the project updates? They allow you to play a single turn, requiring an intricate series of moves to complete.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bogert
Japan
Amagasaki
Hyogo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the reply, I'll check back every once in a while to see when they have been added to the rules.

In the meantime, yeah maybe I can give that Destiny Puzzles a try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert Hernandez
United States
Greenville
SC
flag msg tools
The show on solitaire boardgaming.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm also especially interested in the solo play. I wouldn't have clicked through if the search page didn't mention 1-4 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert Hernandez
United States
Greenville
SC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MrTetsuo wrote:
+1 for planning to back this game if the solo rules are good. Based on Mike's response, it does look like they are
I can't say I would be surprised. I think the solo rule are an afterthough.

Where is this response you speak of? I'm curious what it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert Hernandez
United States
Greenville
SC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MrTetsuo wrote:
Mike's first response to your question. That they are testing extensively and it will have an AI opponent to mimic most of the mechanics that you would see during a game with a real opponent. I assume Mike is somehow related to the game development (or alpha testing it).
doh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Mullins
United States
Lincoln University
PA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's always my turn.
mbmbmbmbmb
I originally began as a playtester for Lagoon; David gave me one of his prototypes at GenCon. Since then I've been lucky enough to work with him on the game's development, and was eventually tasked with the design of the solo game. I've also been writing all of the puzzles in the updates which has been a lot of fun.

As far as the progress of solo, the mechanics are all but done. David is trying to get enough plays in to make sure the game feels like it's supposed to. While the game was designed for 2-4, solo isn't an "afterthought," it's been months in the making. I really think you'll enjoy it, especially with the sliding scale of difficulty. I still get beat by my own AI!

Thanks for your interest in solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert Hernandez
United States
Greenville
SC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's excellent to hear.. thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bogert
Japan
Amagasaki
Hyogo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool, sounds like it should be good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Crespo
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike, do you mind elaborating more on your comment in the KS page on a potential use of the new paths in the solo game? Just a sneak peek, please?

I, for one, am looking forward to the release of the solo rules!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Mullins
United States
Lincoln University
PA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's always my turn.
mbmbmbmbmb
juanma99 wrote:
Mike, do you mind elaborating more on your comment in the KS page on a potential use of the new paths in the solo game? Just a sneak peek, please?

Something that David and I are both very interested in is using the solo mode to help build the narrative of the world of Lagoon. To that end, I'm working on several story-driven scenarios to be played solo - games with unique starting tile configurations, specific victory conditions, and altered mechanics. I'm sure you can imagine a host of ways the 4 paths and 8 druid circles can be utilized.

I'd tell you more, but David would unravel me...

I have to say that one of the things that I respect most about David is his refusal to let any element compromise the quality of Lagoon. It's this dedication that is keeping full details about solo play from being shared.

Soon though! I keep poking him for you!

Thanks again for the questions and comments everyone.

----
Edit: typos

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Chott
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello solo players! I just posted the draft solo rules over in the rules forum: http://boardgamegeek.com/article/14967185

A few additional rules for a more advanced solo game are in the works. So let us know if you need more of a challenge! :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls