Adam White
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
Last night I introduced the Quests expansion. I spent so much time trying to set the game up that I was worried people were going to lose interest.

I understand that I can mix and match any way I want, but I'd rather have insight from the Escape fans community to help put together a balanced "temple." Maybe I'm just not the brightest gem in the depot, but I would LOVE to just look at a checklist, take the stuff out of the box, and get the game going quickly. If a checklist is unreasonable, then at least some guidelines I can follow.

Thanks for any assistance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Shanowitz
United States
Bristol
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you haven't already seen it, the best I've found is the official new set up rules on the first page of this pdf.

I was going to make my own checklist to help manage setting up all of the different expansions, but those rules do a pretty good job of keeping it simple. I also always use the illusions tiles (assuming you have that expansion). Since they're the same as the basic curse tiles (only greener), you can decide before each game if you want to treat them as illusions or just use them as regular tiles that don't disappear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marlene Thornstrom
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
theaaron wrote:
I also always use the illusions tiles (assuming you have that expansion). Since they're the same as the basic curse tiles (only greener), you can decide before each game if you want to treat them as illusions or just use them as regular tiles that don't disappear.

I tried doing that as well for the purpose of never having to sort/shuffle tiles but my brain just can't ignore that green colour and mentally registering it as an illusion tile even if we've decided we're not playing illusions.

I always use the curse/treasure tiles though and just ignore them when we're not playing those modules. That should cut down on set up time.

The list of Escape challenges is really great. I printed it out and we refer to it, pick a challenge and go. I'd suggest introducing the Quest expansion slowly. First add characters. Then add a quest, 3 quests, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam White
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
I have seen the challenges PDF, and it is very cool. I am looking more for a way to combine all the expansions but without increasing the difficulty beyond what the standard rules layout. The expansions naturally make the game a bit more difficult.

Last night I tried substituting curse rooms with gems for basic rooms with gems. I've always felt that playing the advanced game with the default amount of curse rooms was just too much of a bad thing. I feel a cursed room being flipped over should be a surprise and not the most likely scenario. Same for illusions.

However, I did appreciate the PDF explaining how to include the promo cards. I'm confused about something though regarding this:

Prepare your deck of tiles. Put aside the Exit and all Quest tiles. Shuffle the remaining tiles and reveal the two starting chambers adjacent to the Safe room.

Take the top 12 tiles from the deck and shuffle them with the Exit and
the number of Quest tiles required for the challenge.

Put these tiles back on top of the deck.
All quest tiles, as well as the Exit, should now be among the top 13-20 tiles.

It's the terms "Top 12" and "Top 13-20." Are the quest tiles and exit in the top 12 cards or the top 13-20? Very confused.

Thanks for the responses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian Amundsen Østby
Norway
Langhus
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
headcold wrote:
It's the terms "Top 12" and "Top 13-20." Are the quest tiles and exit in the top 12 cards or the top 13-20? Very confused.

First take the top 12 tiles from the deck. To these 12 tiles you then add the exit tile + any number of quest tiles that you want to use. This would now total 13-19 tiles, depending on how many quest tiles you added. Shuffle all these tiles together and then put them back on the top of the deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam White
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
Ahh, thanks Kristian!

Looking forward to future games you design, especially games like Escape that my girlfriend is always excited to play!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian Amundsen Østby
Norway
Langhus
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
headcold wrote:
especially games like Escape
Thanks Adam! Hopefully she will like Escape from Zombie City

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Crawford
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
Something I have done to speed up the set up is I split all the moduals into sperate stacks and put a rubber band around them. I also have a little baggie for each player consisting of 5 dice, and one meeple and color marker. The grail and all the gems are in their own baggie.

What this does is makes it so that all i have to do is grab the stacks for the way I want to play and shuffle them together. Makes set up a breaze. Taking down takes a little more time since you cant just throw everything in one box, but it still doesn't take too much time. So far, I have been able to fit both expansions in the base set box.

I have the following stacks:

1. Main tiles set (this is the starting chamber, the exit, and the multigem tiles) - 6 tiles

2. Basic Chamber tiles - 13 tiles

3. Curses and treasures - 13 tiles

4. Illusion Tiles - 6 tiles

5. Special Chamber - 6 tiles

6 Quest Tiles - 5 tiles
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Just a reminder that rubber bands will degrade over time, and typically when they do they damage paper products they are in contact with.

Polyurethane bands are available, and game safe. A cheaper alternative I use often is plastic bags.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls